LITE-ON SHW-160P6S Bitsetting Forever?

Hi guys.

I have a new liteon drive and I succeeded to change the bitsetting, but in every reset, it returns to DVD+R.
I read about the Omnipatcher, but whenever bin file I load to it, it says it is an invalid one.
:frowning:
The omnipatch is the last one (2.4.3)

I upgraded the firmware from PS08 to PS09 and nothing changed.

Any help around?

Thanks in advance
josi

What app did you bitset with & what’s telling you it’s now back to DVD+R?

As far as I know you have to use the LiteOn tool Booktype 135.exe, it stores the information in the EEPROM. I used this tool on my SOHW 1633/53S and it’s default DVD-ROM since begin 2005, even after many firmware changes. The only time it was DVD+R again is when I flashed a Sony firmware.
For changing back to DVD+R you use the same tool again.

:bigsmile: Leo

Thanks for answering so fast!

I used Booktype 135.exe for changing (it only lets me change when there is a disc inserted, is it normal?)
And then I burn a disc with Nero and DVDinfo tells me that it results in a DVD+R.
When I open the NeroCDSpeed, it says that the default is DVD+R and I can change it to DVD-ROM, but the checkbox “set as default” is disabled.
look at the screen
http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/5181/bit5ae.jpg

[img=http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/5181/bit5ae.jpg]

Yes, you have to load a blank DVD+R. And the setting will be affected after you burn the DVD.

And then I burn a disc with Nero and DVDinfo tells me that it results in a DVD+R.
When I open the NeroCDSpeed, it says that the default is DVD+R and I can change it to DVD-ROM, but the checkbox “set as default” is disabled.
I always used the LiteOn program. The settings in Nero have to serve many brands and they all use a different method of changing the booktype. Probably the reason that setting as default for LiteOn in Nero is disabled.

:cool: Leo

I did it as some tutorial says. But it won’t remember.

Are you saying that I am hopeless?

Not really. There are more members having trouble understand LiteOn logics. All you have to do is load a blank dvd+r, start Booktype 135, change booktype from dvd+r to dvd-rom, burn the disc. After that the setting should stay that way, I mean, even after a reboot, the next dvd+r you burn should be booktyped dvd-rom again.
I always check the results in KProbe, and if I look at Info - Disc, I see Disctype = dvd+r, Booktype = dvd-rom.
I have a 1633, upgraded to 1653, but as far as I know it should work with the new LiteOn drives the same way. If members with newer drives have other experiences, please let us know.

:slight_smile: Leo

Liteon has a long history of reporting bitsetting incorrectly. I have three drives that were bitset with the Liteon tool and they all report, with CDSpeed and other programs, that they will burn +R as +R. When I burn, however, they are ROM. This might be what you are seeing.

We might need a sticky or some info added to a FAQ.

Great! It worked!
my mistake was I was doing the process with a R/W disc and since you can change the bitsetting to the disc instead to the drive, it always returned to DVD+R.
Now It’s changed forever!

Thanks a lot guys! I hope someday I could help you on something!
:slight_smile: