Lite-on shm-165s6s

vbimport

Hi got a SHM-165S6S Which still has the original firmware,its not even listed on liteons own website so cant upgrade it.My question is can i use a flashing utility to flash it to another drive,something like the 165h6s. thanks in advance.

This should be possible IMO, although I’ve not seen any post on cross flashing that particular model. However, I read posts where both SHW-160P6S and SHM-165P6S have been cross flashed to Sony DRU-120C aka DW-G120A; note the SHW-160P6S was first flashed to SHM-165P6S which was then flashed to Sony DRU-120C. I personally flashed a 165P6S to Sony DRU-120C. BTW I’ve also seen posts where Sony DRU-120C was cross flashed tp LiteOn SHM-165P6S too. All such cross flashing was done by downloading firmware desired to flash, downloading FlashFix utility from http://digi.rpc1.org/flashfix.htm, running FlashFix (note upx.exe must be in same folder with FlashFix) on the downloaded firmware and then flashing the drive with the FlashFixed firmware. Unfortunately http://digi.rpc1.org/ is experiencing problems and states they’ll be back soon if you click that link.

[QUOTE=mackemsrule;2055966]Hi got a SHM-165S6S Which still has the original firmware,its not even listed on liteons own website so cant upgrade it.My question is can i use a flashing utility to flash it to another drive,something like the 165h6s. thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure the model is [B]SHM-165S6S[/B]? If so, it’s probably OEM and you can flash it to an official Lite-On F/W like MS0N like bevills1 said. MS0P is the latest one for [B]SHM-165P6S[/B] but someone said recently that they like the previous revision better.

Unless it already does LightScribe, flashing to [B]SHM-165H6S[/B] won’t give it to you. The drive must have corresponding hardware for this to work.

superhero

well tried flashing my 165S6S to a 165h6s and i think i’ve killed it came up as failed in the flashing process and its dissapeared from device manager and any program that uses a dvd drive,its just sitting winking at me with its green light

You toasted your drive. You flashed a SATA drive with PATA firmware.

Actually MSOR is latest SHM-165P6S firmware, and I’m the guy who said in another thread that I get best SL burns with the previous MSOP firmware. I suggest try reflashing with FlashFixed MSOP firmware, and you have nothing to lose because last flash failed. Note just flashing with firmware for another model won’t succeed, and the FlashFix must be run on the firmware first per my post #2 here.

The 165H6S is actually same drive as 165P6S but with light scribe added. See post #4 at http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/possible-cross-flash-shm-165p6s-shm-165h6s-lightscribe-178765/ where another user flashed a Sony drive with 165H6S firmware and got same result as mackemsrule, and then got drive working again by flash with 165P6S firmware.

The 165s6s is a SATA drive, not an IDE drive. Most of the time the SATA drive is goodbye when crossflashed with the wrong firmware.

I stand corrected and didn’t realize the 165S6S was SATA. However, mackemsrule has nothing to lose by trying reflash with firmware for SATA drive if drive is otherwise useless.

Edit: According to http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/shm-165s6s-firmware-234775/ no updates for the 165S6S have been released, and the QSO2 might be available from CDdeKing from this link if you need to find QSO2.

[quote=pfloyd1;2056270]You toasted your drive. You flashed a SATA drive with PATA firmware.[/quote]Agreed :iagree:

[list=1.]
[li]MSOP can’t be flashfixed.[/li][li]Flashing a flashfixed firmware will only work if the drive is detected by Windows.[/li][li]Flashing a [I]PATA [/I]firmware on a [B]SATA [/B]drive is a safe way to kill the drive[/li][/list]

Michael

You’re quite likely correct about killing the SATA drive by flashing with PATA firmware, but why can’t MSOP be flashfixed out of curiosity? I flashfixed Sony MYS6 to cross flash a 165P6S to DW-G120A with no problem, and it seems I recall reading a thread where somebody did the reverse of that, i.e. cross flash from Sony to LiteOn.

Hi,[quote=bevills1;2056881]but why can’t MSOP be flashfixed out of curiosity? I flashfixed Sony MYS6 to cross flash a 165P6S to DW-G120A with no problem, and it seems I recall reading a thread where somebody did the reverse of that, i.e. cross flash from Sony to LiteOn.[/quote]My own experience: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/flasfix-unable-patch-newer-firmwares-198488/
I was able to patch older Liteon and Sony firmwares, but flashfix failed to patch newer versions starting from MS0P (or MYS6). My theory: Liteon changed something in the flasher with these newer firmwares.
I had to go back to flashfixed Liteon MS0N or Sony MYS4/MYR4 to crossflash my drive from Sony to Liteon (or vice versa).

Michael

That’s very odd because MYS6 is the firmware I flashfixed to cross flash my SHM-165P6S to DW-G120A with no problem. It did say something about size didn’t match or something (don’t recall exact message) running flashfix, but the process was continued and finished flash successfully.

Edit: Post #9 in your link also seems to indicate it’s possible to flashfix even MSOR unless there’s something I’m missing there. Is it possible there’ve been some updates to flashfix since last tried by mciahel?

Upon closer scrutiny of the thread at http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/flasfix...mwares-198488/ I realize post #9 there refers to a different utility and not flashfix. However, the error shown in post #1 at the link may be the message I received while running flashfix upon which I elected to “Ignore error and continue” after which flash successfully completed.

looks like i’m up a creek then, not showing up in windows or anything just flashes at me. as i flashed it with a pata firmware would buying a ide to sata convertor be any help?
thanks for all the replies

Hi,[quote=bevills1;2057398] However, the error shown in post #1 at the link may be the message I received while running flashfix upon which I elected to “Ignore error and continue” after which flash successfully completed.[/quote]That’s the point :wink: I did not ignore the error message :bigsmile:

Michael

[QUOTE=mackemsrule;2057431]looks like i’m up a creek then, not showing up in windows or anything just flashes at me. as i flashed it with a pata firmware would buying a ide to sata convertor be any help?
thanks for all the replies[/QUOTE]

I doubt it very much.

Hi,[quote=mackemsrule;2057431]looks like i’m up a creek then, not showing up in windows or anything just flashes at me. as i flashed it with a pata firmware would buying a ide to sata convertor be any help?[/quote]No, since the internal interface is messed up. The drive is dead for ever.

Michael

looks like i need a new one then. anyone know wot the best drive to replace it would be thanks

As is the drive is useless, and it’ll only cost you a few minutes to try reflash with Flashfix or other utility. It’ll either work or fail, but nothing lost by trying. I didn’t know whether my LiteOn to Sony patch for cross flash would work when the error was ignored, but it did work in my instance.

There are many good burners, and my favorite is Pioneer. I’ve also seen some good reports on Samsung and LG. However, another LiteOn is your best choice if scanning is important since production of Benq drives has stopped.