LITE-ON SHM-165P6S or NEC ND-4550A?

I’d like to ask you which is better. I have been pondering about them for 2 days straight and I still cannot make a decision.
I need a burner capable of reading/writing DVD-RAM media and performing disc quality checks.
I have therefore narrowed the choice to 2 models… and I am stuck.

The NEC ND-4550A looks like a good drive. It reads discs at high speeds, which can also be a drawback, as I have heard that it overheats and it is also noisy. The spped can probably be reduced manually, but that may be slightly annoying. LITE-ON SHM-165P6S has Smart-X, which looks better.
It has good DVD reading error correction. Perhaps slightly better than the LITE-ON SHM-165P6S, which, on the other hand, has more superior CD correction abilities. As a burner, the NEC ND-4550A seems to be better than LITE-ON SHM-165P6S, in both CDs and DVDs. Especially in DVD+R burning quality, which is what I am interested in (besides CD burning quality; I never use DVD-R, so I do not care about that). As far as capabilities are concerned, both drives look similar; a sole exception being NEC ND-4550A having CD+G reading capability, which is, I believe, of little use.
However, LITE-ON SHM-165P6S is supported by KProbe, which is a nice tool to have. But there have been some reports on bad recording quality of LITE-ON SHM-165P6S on DVD-RAMs, so I am a little concerned.
Also, the LITE-ON SHM-165P6S may be better at making copies of corrupt CDs (those that violate the standards, “protected”), which is a nice thing to have. There has been a review of both drives at www.cdrinfo.com (OK, NEC ND-4550A can be flashed to ND-4551A, so it should be the same); but this backup ability at their maximum speeds, which raises questions about the reviewers’ competence in this subject.

Oh, yes, and the LITE-ON would save me the trouble of cutting the DASP wire, because some developers at NEC consider it “a nice feature”.

So I would like to know your personal opinions about both drives. Their strengths and weaknesses which do not show up in regular reviews. E.g. problems with DVD-RAM, recording quality on DVD+R, error correction etc.

Thank you very much in advance.

Hi - I’ve found myself in the same situation (albeit with the 4570/1)… mind me asking which you went for?