Lite-On SHM-165P6S External Burner

vbimport

I need a new DVD burner for my Dell Dimension desktop (4 years old…came with NEC 1100 but it never worked from day 1 and I finally really need it but am not ready to buy a whole new computer yet so want a DVD burner to bridge me). I’m thinking of buying the Lite-On SHM-165P6S external from Circuit City for about $50. I was planning to go with an internal mainly for price but now that I see the Lite-On external is only $50 that sounds attractive since the cheapest internal I’ve found is at least $30. My question is, does that sound like a good option for me? I have never installed a drive so getting an internal and having to remove the old drive, install the new one, make the computer recognize it, etc. really worries me. But, if an internal is a much better option I’m willing to give it a try. An external would also allow me to move it to other systems, which I’ll probably get $20 worth of use out of. I would really appreciate some input on this topic…I need to buy one soon but am kind of lost in a lot of the reviews. Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Hi,QUOTE=MUSCBoneDoc11 I’m thinking of buying the Lite-On SHM-165P6S external from Circuit City for about $50.

My question is, does that sound like a good option for me?
The Liteon is a good drive. But I am not sure if an external drive is an option for you as 4 years old computers weren’t always equipped with USB 2.0 high speed controllers. So, the internal version should do better.

I have never installed a drive so getting an internal and having to remove the old drive, install the new one, make the computer recognize it, etc. really worries me.
Nothing to be worried about. If there is no manual with the drive, then get it from Liteon website. (I consider the Liteon manual as very good)

An external would also allow me to move it to other systems, which I’ll probably get $20 worth of use out of.
Admitted. This is an advantage, but you have to make sure, there is an USB 2.0 interface in the computer you are connecting the drive to.

Michael

Michael-I do in fact have USB 2.0. How would you (or anyone else) feel about this burner as a choice for me given that fact? I’m getting feedback that I could easily install the internal so I’m becoming more and more open to that option. Would the internal likely be faster and/or higher quality? What would be a good quality internal $50 or below? Thanks for the help!

Hi,

If your USB 2.0 chipset is good (integrated into the mainboard chipset), and the chipset of the enclosure is good (or are you referring to a Liteon Retail external drive?), then there is no difference to an internal installed drive.
If you have installed a PCI USB add-on card, then get an internal drive.
I own a Sony DW-G120A crossflashed to Liteon SHM-165P6S, that is installed in an USB enclosure with GL811E chipset. This drive is running really fine when connected to the onboard USB (VIA) of my mainboard. Connected to add-on cards, the drive maxes out at 8x speed due to interface issues.

I’m getting feedback that I could easily install the internal so I’m becoming more and more open to that option. Would the internal likely be faster and/or higher quality?
Under the conditions, I mentioned above, there is absolutely no difference.
What would be a good quality internal $50 or below?
Why not getting an internal SHM-165P6S? Or just consider the extra $20 for the external one as the price for more convenience. So, it’s just a matter of personal preference.

Michael