Lite on or another nec

vbimport

I got an nec that pretty burned out on me. It only read and burns regular cd-r now. Wont read dvds at all. I was thinking of getting a lite on and wondering if it read pretty much everything cause with my nec some dvds with light scratchs it wont read. the disc would have to be pretty brand new. I am kinda scared lol. I dont want to get dvdrw and it jack up on me again. so soon anyways. Also how is the warrnty with lite on cause my nec dont have one :sad:? thx adv

I have an Nec 2500a and a Liteon 811s

the liteon is far better at reading disks
but the NEC 2500acan burn minus at 8x
but the Liteon 811s can burn verb 4x plus at 8x
but the NEC 2500a is $40 cheaper

you choose
(PS I use a Liteon 166s dvd-rom drive to read from usually)

is it better to read dvds from a dvd-rom drive?

All drives have warranties. If someone has told you it hasn’t, then someone needs to have their head examined. If your drive is more than 1 yr old, chances are the retail warranty has run out, but the manufacturers warranty may still be viable.

That said, Mr Rimmer ( the fool/comic relief from Red Dwarf ) has brought up possible issues with the current batch of liteon burners.
Obviously you aren’t impressed with NEC either. Probably choose neither. Go with something that also gets good reviews, companies with good reviews, etc.

Concerning which to use as a reader…

I would think of it more like, which is more expensive to replace.

I’d certainly prefer to wear out a $65au/$40us DVD player than a $250au/$150us DVD writer by using it all the time for general use.

But it comes down to personal preference, and how rich you are.

Besides, the dvd player has other benefits. No atip/adip detection. Means you don’t need all these copy protection features provided by all the software companies. Tis just another layer of trouble, even if they have ironed out most of the bugs.

One difference is copy protected CD’s when you are copying. You need to figure out which is the better reader for these.

Everyday use though, I’d suggest use your DVD player.
Try to keep you (expensive) dvd writer in good nick by using it as little as possible.

As far as I know from the NECs is that they have an advantage that theys upport DVD-RAM read/write :slight_smile: LiteON’s advantage however is for CD Burning at up to 40x ! The LiteON uses up almost all CPU cycles reading DVD-Video. So unless you require DVD RAM, I’d go for the LiteON, as I recall eventhough NEC has better support, and slightly better quality, LiteON does have interesting advantages. Of course if you have the money and can afford to pay more, and want to be on the safe side, I’d go for Pioneer or Plextor, you really can’t go wrong in terms of writing quality. The LiteON is VERY picky on media as opposed to other writers so you have to be careful there.

Both drives have their problems. Lite-on drive is picky on DVD media but is the king of CD (burning & copy protection). NEC is supposed to make better quality burns, although it has problems with some specific popular brands of media (have a look at the NEC forum it won’t take long to figure out). At the moment only the Lite-on drive has bitsetting options for DVD+R, wich imo is a definate plus.

Finally support for both drives is not that great with NEC releasing very few firmware updates and apparently Lite-on are discontinuing support for the 811s. My advice would be to perhaps wait for the 812s to surface, which is just around the corner. If it improves general dvd burning it would be the definate choice.

Weshy.

I also have both 1300a and 811s. I almost bought an 2500a to replace my NEC couple times, but i need booktype setting. From what i use it for, i actually mainly use 811s as a DVD-reader. I found that even though the discs from 811s are working and such, i got much more consistant results from my 1300A.

NEC support i cannot really tell. Until herrie and folks made their hacked image, NEC support was slim to none. Actually, I don’t expect to see any more update after 1.0a either.

IF 2500a performs somewhat similar to 1300A, i would pick NEC any over a LiteOn. At least, until i’m done with Princo and some other cheapo i have.

A06 is also a good choice, if you can find one at reasonable price. I used to own a Pioneer before i bought an NEC. i can tell you that Pioneer definitely know how to burn DVD. Almost all my cheapo DVD-R never have any problem.

Originally posted by sarahjh69
[B]I have an Nec 2500a and a Liteon 811s

the liteon is far better at reading disks
but the NEC 2500acan burn minus at 8x
but the Liteon 811s can burn verb 4x plus at 8x
but the NEC 2500a is $40 cheaper

you choose
(PS I use a Liteon 166s dvd-rom drive to read from usually) [/B]

I guess I agree with the above. As for warranty, I don’t think choosing NEC or LiteOn will make much of a difference. As a (now dead) 811S owner, I can tell you that warranty on LiteOn is almost non-existent where I live.
LiteOn say on their site they accept warranty-claims after bad flashes. However, Dutch retailers demand that the original firmware has to be installed for a warranty claim, even if your drive is as dead as dead can be… :Z

So if you’re looking for good CD-burning quality and don’t burn or read DVD’s, I’d say go for a 411/451 DVD writer or a regular CD-writer from LiteOn.

Btw: just ordered a NEC2500 as a replacement for my 811s… :cool:

If you have a NEC 2500A already just buy a DVD-ROM and save yourself some money.

As another cheaper alternative, you could always buy a 411S/451S for cheap and “mod” it to a 811S/851S. :smiley:

Originally posted by Weshy
[B]Both drives have their problems. Lite-on drive is picky on DVD media but is the king of CD (burning & copy protection). NEC is supposed to make better quality burns, although it has problems with some specific popular brands of media (have a look at the NEC forum it won’t take long to figure out). At the moment only the Lite-on drive has bitsetting options for DVD+R, wich imo is a definate plus.

Finally support for both drives is not that great with NEC releasing very few firmware updates and apparently Lite-on are discontinuing support for the 811s. My advice would be to perhaps wait for the 812s to surface, which is just around the corner. If it improves general dvd burning it would be the definate choice.

Weshy. [/B]

The 812 is being sold initially in Japan, you can expect it to gradually be available in Europe and the rest of the world.
As to the price, around $135-$153 US range.

There is possibility of having bitsetting support for NEC drives, and you can access this function within DVDInfoPRO latest version.

As to 811, it might be supported for a LITTLE while longer but the support cycle is short as LiteON plans on releasing new drives and now they are concentrating more on their upcoming products, so you won’t see new firmwares for the 811 in the short term. Maybe 1 more will be posted but it may be the last.
CDFreaks contacted LiteON and apparently LIteON says that new firmwares will be released for 811, and that they are working on improved tech support!

I wish CDFreak management would have confronted LiteON about other questions like poor engineering, mis tracking problems that is common with these drives, the 404 links on their websites, RMA policies, etc.

Originally posted by FoxBat
However, Dutch retailers demand that the original firmware has to be installed for a warranty claim, even if your drive is as dead as dead can be… :Z

WTF are they doing ? An officially released (for end-users) and therefore safely applied (by end-users) firmware update release must never be abused by any retailer as a reason to not fulfil warranty proposals. I mean, people are encouraged to update their firmware revisions …

If it is true what you’re writing about dutch retailers this could definitely be a case for some lawyer to deal with …