Lite On no longer reads disc\'s after un-installing burning software. (Liteon SHW-160PS)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On SHW-160P6S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]recently i was desperately trying to find a piece of software that read ISRC codes, to cut a long story short, i installed loads of CD burning and Reading software, once i had attchieved what i set out to do, i un-installed all the new software i had just installed.

This seems to have changed some setting on my drive and it will no longer recognise any discs.

Strangely if i insert a disc and open a programme EG windows media player and i select the drive it will then play the disc, but as far as opening my computer and selecting the drive, it just says nothing it there.

I was told i need to update the firmware, heres the fun part, i downloaded the firmware for Liteon SHW-160PS but when trying to run the firmware an error comes up saying “NO MATCHED DRIVE DETECTED, THIS UTILITY IS ONLY FOR LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S DRIVE. DETECTED DRIVES: 2-0-0-0 E:LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S PRS2”

guess what the PRS2 firware isnt available from the LiteOn website, after contacting LiteOn they say Acer who make my PC have made ammendments to the firmware so they do not supply it for download, Acer say they need to take the PC in and have a look at it, but it is my mainwork PC and i cant release it to them as i need it 24/7.

Dead End.

Please help ?!?! anyone ???

PS: I have been avoiding this issue for ages so system restor doesnt go back as far to correct the issue :O(

[QUOTE=ODPM-LTD.COM;2107416]This seems to have changed some setting on my drive and it will no longer recognise any discs.

Strangely if i insert a disc and open a programme EG windows media player and i select the drive it will then play the disc, but as far as opening my computer and selecting the drive, it just says nothing it there.[/QUOTE]Follow these directions to see if they solve anything for this aspect.

I was told i need to update the firmware, heres the fun part, i downloaded the firmware for Liteon SHW-160PS but when trying to run the firmware an error comes up saying "NO MATCHED DRIVE DETECTED, THIS UTILITY IS ONLY FOR LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S DRIVE. DETECTED DRIVES: 2-0-0-0 E:LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S PRS2"
This is normal. Your drive has OEM firmware. LiteOn’s flashers will not flash a drive with OEM firmware.

We will get you some updated firmware after we solve your initial issue.

would updating the firmware not correct the issue?

tbh, i dont even really know what firmware does, i was just told to update it.

sorry, forgot to mention i have already done as recomended from the Microsoft website, no developments after doing so.

Since restarting Windows Media Player will allow you to browse a disc, updating firmware probably won’t fix your issue.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the device in Device Manager?

If you download ImgBurn, can it detect that there’s a disc in the drive [empty or not]?

this may sound a little stupid, ive found device manager, un-installed, now i cant work out how to re-install.

im quite hopefull this could work as i havent tried this before.

any beginners tips to re-install a drive would be appreciated

Restart the computer. The drive should be automatically detected.

i have managed to re-instal the device now but still no change, if i open “My Computer” and mouse over the drive, it will say “3.5gb” for example if there is a DVD in there, if i double click the drive to open the disc, it just comes up with “Prepare a Blank Disc” Prompt with a field to enter the name of the blank disc, if i was buring one, but im not, its a pressed DVD-5 in the drive.

ah ha !!! it appears i have success !!! at last.

i un-installed and re-installed, didnt sem to work, but i just re-started and all seems fine now, for the first time in MONTHS !!!

Thanks very much for your guidance Albert !! HUGELY appreciatede.

[You’re] Welcome. :slight_smile: Hope it remains fixed for you.

Would you still like to try a firmware update, or not tempt fate?

i have to be honest and say i dont really know what the firmware does, is it the same sort of this as the drivers?

No need to worry about it.

Basically, the firmware is software in the drive itself that allows it to do all it does. Your computer sends a drive a command, and the drive’s software figures out what to do and how to do it. It’s specific to a given drive, usually. [Some drives have the same physical hardware, and can have different firmwares to enable/disable drive features].

If you’re not having any issues, and your written discs come out with a pretty good quality, you can leave it as it is. You aren’t required to update, unless you’re just up for the challenge.

ill be running some test on the drive over the next week so i think all will be ok, if i come across any more problems ill pick up this thread later this week, once again, many thanks, saved me getting an engineer in this week :O)

Have fun testing. :slight_smile:

unfortunately, this morning on my return to the office my drive seems to be back to normal, ive tried un-installing and re-installing the device and re-starting but with no luck, maybe i should update the firmware, any idea where i can get it from as it isnt standard lite-on firmware?