Lite On MSOR firmware slow on external?

I have a Lite-On SHM 165P6S. I didnt use it for a few months because i didnt need it. I am running it through a 1066 mhz 256 ram laptop. I know its not the best laptop but i still think this is long compared to past use.

I am running it as a external burner connected through USB. I just updated it to MSOR f/w before using it.

It is taking about 1 hr to back up and 1 hr to write.

Is MSOR compatible with a external?

Thanks for your help

Most likely, your laptop’s USB is 1.1, not 2.0, thus, the slow speed. It has nothing to do with firmware.

i think you are right according to the web manual.

ill have to use the desktop.

Hi,

there is another option: Get a USB 2.0 cardbus (sometimes also called PCMCIA) adapter (NEC chipset strongly recommended) for your notebook. You should be able then to burn @8x provided the harddisk is fast enough (often an issue with notbooks, especially older ones).

Michael

Thanks ill have to pick one of those up!

MSOR is compatible with external, but I get best SL results with MSOP. In my experience USB 2.0 doesn’t help that much. I had a 750 MHZ desktop that took just over an hour to shrink and encrypt even with USB 2.0 card added, but burn speed should be much faster; check to be sure DMA is enabled which will greatly imporve burn speed if DMA is not enabled. I upgraded my system to 3400 MZH which dropped that over an hour shrink and encrypt time to the 20 to 30 minute range. I heard somewhere 1400 MHZ or higher is needed for decent speeds with optical drives, and I believe that after my experience.

Hi,[QUOTE=bevills1;1917374]In my experience USB 2.0 doesn’t help that much.[/quote]Without USB 2.0, you can’t even burn at 1x. Results after hours will mostly be coasters.

I had a 750 MHZ desktop that took just over an hour to shrink and encrypt even with USB 2.0 card added,
Shrinking and encrypting is even possible without any drive attached;) Only CPU is, what matters here. For reading and burning with an external drive, a good USB 2.0 Hi Speed controller is mandatory.

check to be sure DMA is enabled which will greatly imporve burn speed if DMA is not enabled.
DMA does not matter with external drives. It does matter for the HDD, but this is something, that should be detected quite soon since the overall system performance is extremely poor then.

I heard somewhere 1400 MHZ or higher is needed for decent speeds with optical drives, and I believe that after my experience.
This is, what drive manufacturers write into their specs tables. These 1400 MHz are meant to be an indicator for a computer generation that has sufficient overall performance. Also some features of the bundled software package might really need at least such a CPU (video encoding or similar). For plain DVD burning, even a 600 MHz CPU is sufficient. Admitted, much more than 8x won’t be feasible with such old systems.

Michael