Lite-On LVW-5055GDL+

hi!

i looked around here and at mr. wizard’s page and couldn’t find an answer.

i have the new Lite-On LVW-5055GDL+ .

i posted a review here: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders.php?DVDnameid=1480&Search=Search&list=1#comments

i did the remote code for region free i found at dvdhelp/videohelp. then i found mr. wizard’s page and i cracked the firmware successfully.

but i haven’t tried it yet because i don’t know what could be a possible negative reaction by the machine, and what risks are involved.

i’ve had the machine 2 weeks now and have already installed the regular firmware update, which was posted on the lite-on site.

i don’t want to bother mr. wizard with an email since he only accepts questions or info on bugs. then i found this forum. like i said, i looked around and searched and didn’t see any info on my machine because it’s very new.

can someone explain to me the risks of installing the modded version of the firmware? i don’t know anything about checksums and all that. i just want to get rid of the macrovision so i can backup store-bought vhs tapes. is it worth the risk, or should i just by a peripheral box that will do the job (although the description sas it doesn’t remove NTSC stripe - whatever that is). it’s a very expensive machine and i don’t wanna risk destroying it.

otherwise, it’s a great machine. please check out my review. :slight_smile:

thanks for any help. :slight_smile:

– BratGirlX

Hi Brat… 'Sounds like you’ve got an interesting (but expensive) machine there. Just guessing, to me it sounds like it’s similar to a US LiteON 5045 but with a 250 gb HD instead of our 160 gb versions. I read your review; thanks for that.

Please go into your setup screen and tell us the exact Serial Number info shown for your unit if possible – it may be shown at the bottom of the screen. Please post the exact number back here at this thread.

Then, still in <Setup>, cursor down (don’t click it yet) to the “Exit” (lower left) button of the setup screen and see if the numbers change. If they do, it should now be showing the Hard Drive’s info data. Please post this info here, if available. Both S/N and HD info are helpful for people to help advise you on future possible firmware changes, hacks and HD replacements.

Re: "i did the remote code for region free i found at dvdhelp/videohelp. then i found mr. wizard’s page and i cracked the firmware successfully.

>If like the US firmwares, the ILO Hacks by Mr. Wizard may indeed say they’ve been successfully hacked for MV, however, depending on what (late) firmware revision was hacked, this may not be the fact. I think the ‘success’ report after a hack is based on a ‘checksum’ report rather than a byte by byte comparison reading.

I think the only real way to verify a successful MV hack that would be to test your machine by attempting to record a known MV protected VHS tape using the VCR’s video/audio outputs (not the RF output which should allow recording but with less quality).

Re: “can someone explain to me the risks of installing the modded version of the firmware? i don’t know anything about checksums and all that. i just want to get rid of the macrovision so i can backup store-bought vhs tapes. is it worth the risk, or should i just by a peripheral box that will do the job (although the description sas it doesn’t remove NTSC stripe - whatever that is). it’s a very expensive machine and i don’t wanna risk destroying it.”

As far as I know, if your machine is playing back media normally, I don’t see any risk involved with testing to verify whether or not the hacks are working. I’ve never heard of hacked FW files trapping a machine into not being usable — but of course, I’m only speaking about what I’ve experienced. Some have reported disaster in doing this, however, in my opinion, that was likely a result of attempting to load an erroneous coded FW update file or in suffering a power-off glitch during uploading the FW upgrade into the machine.

As some wise old gent once said: “Ye pays yer money and ye takes yer chances”.

hi jaybird! thanks for replying.

you’re right that it’s basically the same as the 5045, although the menus and perhaps a couple of the features might not be the same. when i was researching machines, the only one i found comparable was the 5045, and then the 5055 came out and i liked that better, especially the storage space of 250GB. the manual is the same one for 5025GHC+/5045GHC+/5045GDL+/5055GDL+. that’s what’s printed on the cover. it’s a little strange though because the cover of the manual says it plays mp4, but it’s not mentioned anywhere else in the book, and i tried some mp4 films and they definitely wouldn’t play, even after the firmware update. but that’s ok because i don’t have many mp4 films anyway and that’s why i said in my report that it doesn’t play mp4. it could be a mistake because often a publisher thinks that mpeg-4 is the same as mp4, so they often confuse it and print the wrong one.

anyway, the SN is: 013C-4241-0018-B20M (2E81-010F)

the numbers didn’t change when i went down the menu, so i don’t know the hard drive info. is there somewhere else i can look for the hard drive info?

i haven’t yet tried to copy a store-bought tape. i have PAL and NTSC tapes because my vhs players all play them both and my tv plays them fine.

i did copy a tv recorded film from vhs to the lite-on and even though the tape was in SEP(SLP) and i copied it in LP speed, it came out very well. i’m only mentioning this because i had to connect the video out from the vhs player with the SCART to the lite-on video in, and i used the RCA red-white-yellow as well. is that the composite? i don’t know what’s the RF output because it isn’t mentioned anywhere. but i had to use the scart and the RCA together to make it work.

oh btw, do you know if there’s a way to record dual-audio tracks together when a film has 2 languages? i get the SAP/main/stereo/mono settings, but i can’t figure out how to record both audio tracks from tv. recording a 2-track audio film in the stereo setting automatically sets it to main audio track 1. it’s not that important, but i’d just like to know so if anyone wants a copy of a film in the other language i can do it.

also, i don’t know if this is with all lite-ons, but maybe it’s a bug. when i set the recording speed in the setup menu, after it finishes recording, the speed is changed to a different speed and i have to go back to setup and reset it. i thought by changing it in setup it stays as the default speed unless i change it. anyway, also not so important…just wondering.

so, thanks for any help you can give me.

– BratGirlX

[B]EDIT: sorry, what do you think of these peripheral boxes? they cost around $100 where i live. i can also get the machine physically modded for macrovision hack, but that costs more - about double the price. it’s legal where i live, as well as modding any game consoles is also legal here.

SECOND EDIT: maybe i should just try copying a tape and see what happens. from what i’ve been reading iLO recorders are made by Lite-On and i’ve read some videohelp reports on iLo that people can copy macro tapes without a problem. is this also the case with lite-ons? i mean, has it ever been possible to do it on a lite-on without a hack? i’ll try to do one soon and let you know, but any info you can give me about everything anyway would be great. thanks![/B]

Hi Again BGX…. ‘Mind if I call you BGX? ‘Sounds “racier” than ‘Bad Girl X’ . OK on your checking out the MP4 ability and I agree these op manuals are often somewhat misleading. If the manual fairly accurately describe each basic function accurately I consider myself lucky.

OK on your S/N. It seems to be following the same pattern as the 5045s. According to a post I read somewhere, the first 4 digits relate to the Region the unit is set-to, the second 4 digits relate to the Country, the third 4 digits indicate the Operating System’s Firmware version number, the fourth 4 digits show the Firmware version of the DVD Burner/Drive in the unit (all “B20*” firmware series are for the LiteOn 813c burner) and I can’t place what the parenthesized numbers mean. I do recall however that some of the parenthesized digits on my 5045 changed when I installed the hacked 0197 Firmware version.

The S/N on my 5045 is 0132-0141-0197-B20B (011-010D)
The HD info is: Disc: 538C-0000-0F HD: ST3160022ACE-9.51-5JS3M200

There’s a collection of 5045 firmwares (I think) done by Mr. Wizard, the author of the ILO hacking tool at: http://www.ss3f.com/ilo/5045/index.htm

In my opinion as an old technician, there are a few considerations due before one makes the decision to install hacked firmware into a unit of recent mfg date.

1. Cost and Schedule trade-off of buying an add-on device that defeats MV vs possible costs incurred should you need to return the unit for a factory repair because of malfunction and damage to your unit’s Operating System EPROM caused by a corrupted or incompatible hacking file or a power failure during the update burn cycle. The only way I know to check for OS compatibility for the 5045 is to search the file candidate for the hack with a Hex Viewer to verify the chipset is mfg by “LSI” corp. This is “doable” without too much hassle by your computer nerd friends.
  2. Confidence that the unit’s Burner drive is compatible. I think your units’ Burner is compatible, evidenced by the “B20M” firmware version indicated in your S/N. Note that mine is at “B20B”. Your “M” is a later Burner firmware update than my “B”.

Re: “the numbers didn’t change when i went down the menu, so i don’t know the hard drive info. is there somewhere else i can look for the hard drive info?”

No, short of dismantling the unit to read the HD config directly off the drive itself and I know you don’t want to do that. An interesting note here is that people have reported that this HD info was always available in the setup menu up until the Firmware upgrades reached a certain version; ‘don’t know which version except that my unit at version Firmware 197 (MV hacked) still shows the HD data.

Re: “ ------- and i used the RCA red-white-yellow as well. is that the composite? i don’t know what’s the RF output because it isn’t mentioned anywhere. but i had to use the scart and the RCA together to make it work.

Yes, the yellow is video and the red & white are for Right and Left audio. I forgot that you EU folks have the SCART modular connectors to contend with. I’m afraid I’m not familiar with the ‘pin-out’ of those connector types but expect that the “RF” signal is contained within one of it’s lines. The RF signal is simply the TV channel (VHF Radio Frequency, usually Channel 3 in the US) that you’ve set your VHS players’ output to. If your 5055+ has a “TV IN” connector, this RF line would be connected to it to allow an “RF Only” recording to take place. The recorded medias’ (RF) signal would simply be going through your units’ TV tuner and MV would not be detected but the recorded video and audio quality would likely not be true stereo.

I suppose the MV jamming spec conventions might vary in your country, however, they’re usually applied on the video (yellow) signal line here in the US. I suspect that if you’re attempting to record a MV protected movie to DVD without using hacked firmware that it might not work if the video (yellow RCA) plug is connected to comp video-in on the LiteON. The best quality here seems to occur when using the ‘S-Video’ input connection to the LiteON and the white and red RCA plugs for Audio.

As to the 2 Language scenario, I’m not sure but if you make a true copy of a DVD with that ‘viewer-selectable’ characteristic, then it might work. This might require a ‘bit for bit’ copy though and likely would need to be done on your computer using other software.

Regarding the setting/changing of record speed variance from what you originally put in the setup menu, I think the selected speed in the “Easy Guider” menu will override what’s in the setup menu. On my units (5005 and 5045) that’s the way it works. I think that if you start the recording by simply using the <Record> button including it’s OTR function, that the last set record speed would prevail.

Sorry but I haven’t used the peripheral boxes in the last 20 years and I simply don’t know if they’re worth the price. I’m a ‘hobbyist/tinkerer” and the most fun (for me) is playing with the hack-ability of the LiteOns. BTW, I’m definitely NOT a movie buff but having a background in electronics, enjoy playing with these recorders.

Yes, I think LiteOn is making probably 80% of the world’s DVD/CD recorders and that includes many “re-badged” lines like the ILO’s and it seems there’s a new company line out almost ever day nowadays. With enough “time to tinker”, the electronic hobbyist can have a field day trying to get them all figured-out.

hi again!

i’ve been having a great time with the machine, but now i have a big problem.

i turned on the machine and it said “Action failed”, with error code 0x810D0004 and that i need to contact support for recovery help.

i didn’t have a power failure or some kind of accident with it. i had been burning to dvd, finalised it, took it out, turned it off for more than an hour and then this happened when i turned it on again later.

support is closed for the weekend and i tried to google for the error but got no listings.

the screen (menu listing) is empty if i try to look at the recordings lists. i’ve tried turning it on and off but i still get the error message.

help! who can help me fix this? please, i’m desperate.

thanks.

ok, it seems i may have fixed it, but i still don’t know what happened. i was afraid to reinstall the firmware in case that caused an erase/reformat action. so i just unplugged it and plugged it in again and it was fine.

i’ve defragged the HDD a couple of times since i got the machine because i record many hours per day so perhaps i’ll do another defrag soon.

if anyone has an idea about what caused this error - and what the error means - please post it here.

thanks. :slight_smile:

Ok, I have the 55GDL+ as well…

The firmware is similar but not the same as the old 54 (non GDL+) as it uses a different chipset revision. This may cause problems with the macrovision hack, I know the hack does not work on some 2.03 firmwared 5054 drives as liteon changed the way it looks for macrovision in the firmware.

MP4 is supported when using DivX and XviD encoding, it does not support Qpal or GMC but does support B-frames (will make sence if you encode in DivX alot). I have an AV700 player that uses DivX/XviD and all the files I use on that play fine on the 55GDL+. I have a few MP4 encoded files that wont play on it, they also wont play on my PC either without using some exotic players.

If you have alot of DivX files and need to check them, download the GSpot beta (must be the beta) as this will tell you how each file was encoded, very usefull