Lite-On LVW-5055GDL+ some questions

Hello,
First of all hello to all members of this good-looking forum, my first post here.
I want to buy a dvd recorder with HD and divx compatible.
The one i’ve got my eye on is the Lite-On LVW-5055GDL+ (or the 5045) but have a few questions:

1. They are both listed as divx players. Can you forward search and rewind search during watching divx movies?
  2. Can you watch a dvd whilst recording (timer or one-touch recording) to the hard disk?
  3. Can you watch a pre-recorded hard disk recording whilst recording a program also to the hard disk?

I hope you can take the time to answer my questions

Thanks
:slight_smile:
m

Welcome to the forum.

1. Yes. they do 4 speeds as well but its a bit hit and miss. I think its 5, 10, 15 and 20 second jumps but it takes between 1 and 2 seconds to jump. Now, the unit also allows you to skip forward to a specific time so that is a very fast forward if needed.

2. NO. You can record OR playback but not do both.

3. NO. You can record OR playback but not do both.

You can do timeslip (pause the TV and continue from where you paused it) or go back to the beginning of a current recording, so if you turn up with 15mins of a recorded film to go you can go back to the beginning while its still recording.

quakrz,
Thanks for your reply.
I can’t say i’m not disappointed that you can’t even watch a dvd at the same time as HD recording. If that would have been possible i would have picked one up.
Do you know of any recorders that have all three functionalities or even one that does 2. and 3. and i could buy a separate divx player?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

:slight_smile:
m

I have one of these LVW-5055GDL+ which replaced my LVW-5045 and just
like the 5045, the 5055 DOES allow you to watch what you are recording to either the HDD or to a RW or R disc :cool:

I have one of these LVW-5055GDL+ which replaced my LVW-5045 and just
like the 5045, the 5055 DOES allow you to watch what you are recording to either the HDD or to a RW or R disc

Yep, that does work. If you are recording to the HDD, you can even hit play to go back to the beginning of the recording while it is still performaing the record (be carefull, there is a bug that can change channels when you do this if you are using the tuner)

The problem is that quite a few of us would love to be able to watch something else while the unit is recording e.g. record episode 2 of a program while watching episode 1 that was recorded the previous week.

I was so close to buying one of these till I read what it can’t do. You’re watching a DVD and halfway through you decide to record a soap for example. You can’t do it???
You can’t even watch last weeks recorded episode whilst recording this weeks. This is really poor. I bought my mum a Pioneer 433H because she saw it in a shop and had a brief play and it was easy to use. I didn’t buy one for myself because it can’t play DIVX. But it CAN play DVDs or previous recorded material on HDD whilst recording something to HDD. It is soooo sweet to use. After reading about the LiteOns, i am definitely going to buy a 433 or 530 and buy a separate cheap Divx player. Can’t believe I came so close…

A big problem for me with my 5055GDL is that you cannot control aspect ratio in XVID playback. It is stuck on 4:3. If it comes across a 16:9 XVID it shoves it in a letterbox. This is very poor IMHO. My £30 DK player could do that.