Lite On LVC 9016G and LVW-5005 DVD Recorder

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On LVC-9016G - DVD recorder/ VCR combo. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Lite On LVC 9016G and LVW-5005 DVD Recorder

I have both of these units.

They are both having the same issue. INVALID DISC

Seems like the newer discs have too much memory or speed. Is there a list of preferred discs brands that might work better?

I have read that upgrading the firmware causes more problems than anything else and usually the machine quits altogether.

I have been using a brush lens cleaner and it is helping somewhat. I have a box of discs and they were working, but now it is saying INVALID DISC.

I did read somewhere that these units have a learning memory, and if you try different kinds of discs it fills up the allowable disc memory, and stops accepting them. If this is true there must be a way to REBOOT. I tried the lens cleaning, and kept putting in the same batch of discs till it accepted one. So I think I am on the right track.

When the INVALID Disc message comes up on the LVW-5005 DVD Recorder unit the open close feature no longer opens the door. It shows OPEN, and READING and CLOSE and READING, but the door never opens. You have to turn it on and off a few times and tilt the machine forward so gravity helps, and eventually it opens. Grab the disk out and DO NOT PUT THAT DISK BACK IN!!!

On the other Lite On LVC 9016G unit it opens when the INVALID DISK SHOWS by telling it to OPEN.

SCREWY, but I think the dust on the lens started it, and the upgraded discs may be confusing the software.

I need a preferred MEDIA list, so that I can at least have the best possible discs going in. I will keep using the lens cleaning disc.

Can you help me with any other information?