Lite-on LTR52327S for CD scanning

On my PC I have a Samsung SH-S223Q DVDRW and a Lite-on LTR52327S CDR. From the info I found in this forum, I understand that the Samsung is not a good drive to scan CD-R/RW, only for DVDs. What about the LTR52327S? At what speed should I scan? I’m asking this because up to now, after having scanned many CDs, I get very variable results and I cannot figure out if this drive is consistent or not!

Thank you!

the LiteOn is the one to use for CD scanning. DVD drives are rarely reliable for this. The 52327S will give very accurate results at 40x scan speed.

Thank you :wink:

[QUOTE=CDan;2211064]the LiteOn is the one to use for CD scanning. DVD drives are rarely reliable for this. The 52327S will give very accurate results at 40x scan speed.[/QUOTE]

Another thing: Do you use the same scanning speed for both data and audio CDs? 40x?

Thanks again :wink:

[QUOTE=yyy;2213973]Another thing: Do you use the same scanning speed for both data and audio CDs? 40x?

Thanks again ;)[/QUOTE]

Yes, data is data. The only caveat is that audio CDs do not use error correction, so any C2 errors are unacceptable. Actually C2 is unacceptable in any case, but can be audible on audio discs.

The faster you scan, the tougher it is for a disc to pass the test. So faster is usually better. However the 52327S can sometimes throw read errors at speeds higher than 40x. So 40x gives the most consistent and reliable results.
But the main concern is to always use the same speed and never compare scans done at different speeds.

Thanks again for the quick reply!

I use to scan at only 16x all my CDs, because at higher speeds almost half of them gime high C1/C2 errors and quality score 0. At 16x though, I get results at about 70 up to 95, depending on the CDR disc used. This was the main reason I asked if the 52327S is a reliable scanner.

It is very dissapointing to find out many CDRs having a low quality!

Except if my Lite-on is getting too old and it doesn’t read so well any more at high speeds!

Anyway, thank you for your time and help…

Scans like the following made me wonder!

That’s CD-R 48x, burned at 16x with Samsung SH-S223Q SB03.
Is this a very good burn as 16x scanning indicates or a coaster? :confused:
At the Samsung the TRT is excellent!

I would consider any disc with C2 at 40x scan to be a failure. Since you’re using the 52327S, I would use that exclusively to burn CDRs.

When you have a disc that scans acceptably at 16x but fails at 40x you have a marginal quality burn. With TY, it will probably be stable and not degrade, but with lesser media it could easily degrade over time and become unreadable.

I burn TY in my 52327S at 32x and get flawless scans 100% of the time. It also likes Ritek CDRs a lot.

Your scans are showing poor quality at the start of the disc, which indicates poor firmware support in the burner.

Again an audio disk…
Burned at LITE-ON at 16x. Again a That’s CD-R.
I guess this is what you meant in your last message :wink:

The problem is that I borrowed the Lite-on from a friend just for scanning tests… I’ll see what I can do.

Thanks again for the info!

Also, burn at 32x, not 16x. The media and drive are designed for high speeds, and nothing is gained by slowing it down, in fact quality can suffer.

On the Sammy burner, try burning faster too, you may see the issues go away, or not. When you see high errors in the 1st half of the disc like that, it’s because the drive is optimized for higher speed, so sometimes increasing speed will decrease the problem. There will be a speed sweet spot on the burner, and it’s probably not 16x. On the 52327S, it’s 32x or 24x depending on the media.

I have some bad news for you, Samsung’s 22x DVD writers like your SH-S223Q are considered very poor CD writers, and it seems that firmware updates have not solved the problem. But as you have seen with your transfer rate test, they are excellent CD readers.

Ironically the worst result in the CDFreaks review was on Taiyo Yuden discs.
http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Samsung-SH-S223F-DVD-Burner-Review/CD-R_RW-Writing-performance.html

I’m really confused… :frowning:

I have read the review, and according to it, CMC (97m26s66f) CD-Rs are the ones to perform better. This was with fw SB00. I was hoping SB03 (that I have) to perform better.

According to the posts in the thread “Samsung SH-S223 results & discussion”, fw SB02 burns quite well TY CD-Rs at 16x and 24x. Much better than the CMC’s ones at the same speed! I don’t know in which of these two contradictory results to rely to. :slight_smile: The later were based on Benq and Plextor drives, whereas in the review, on Liteon drive!

Finally, in the corresponding review of this drive in cdrinfo it is stated that with TY one can get very good results with this drive (fw SB02).

All these add to my confusion! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=yyy;2214377]I’m really confused… :frowning:

I have read the review, and according to it, CMC (97m26s66f) CD-Rs are the ones to perform better. This was with fw SB00. I was hoping SB03 (that I have) to perform better.

According to the posts in the thread “Samsung SH-S223 results & discussion”, fw SB02 burns quite well TY CD-Rs at 16x and 24x. Much better than the CMC’s ones at the same speed! I don’t know in which of these two contradictory results to rely to. :slight_smile: The later were based on Benq and Plextor drives, whereas in the review, on Liteon drive!

Finally, in the corresponding review of this drive in cdrinfo it is stated that with TY one can get very good results with this drive (fw SB02).

All these add to my confusion! :)[/QUOTE]

Ignore the reviews and discussions and go by what the 52327S is telling you. Try different burn speeds on the Samsung and use the combination of media and speed that gives the most consistent results. Once you find it, don’t update the firmware again without repeating the tests.

As a very general guideline, burners that don’t like TY will often work great on Ritek.

[QUOTE=yyy;2214377]I’m really confused… :([/QUOTE]
Welcome to the world of amateur disc scanning.:flower:

Your Lite-On appears to be picky enough at reading CDs to produce useful scans. But trying to compare your scans with those that other people have posted is very difficult, there are so many variables. Later Lite-On CD writers were too good at reading bad discs and the scans often don’t show much difference between good and bad CDs. For example, scans from my SOHR-5239V often don’t show any significant difference between good discs and ones which my old laptop drive finds partly unreadable.

As [I]CDan [/I]has already suggested, experiment with different writing speeds and makes of disc to see if you can find a combination which your Samsung likes.

As you have already discovered when scanning discs with your LTR52327S, changing the scanning speed even slightly will affect the results. So once you have decided on a speed which suite your drive stick to it. The CDFreaks standard speed for Lite-On drives is 48x. But drives vary and my SOHR-5239V gives more consistent results on Verbatim AZO CDs at 40x. Generally a higher speed will record more errors. 52x is good for transfer rate tests but usually gives inconsistent results for C1/C2 scanning.

Alternatively you may prefer to invest in a better CD writer than your Samsung SH-S223. Here in the UK DVD writers are now about the same price as 2-3 50 disc CD-R spindles. The Optiarc AD-7200 series drives are good CD writers and work well with a wide range of different discs (but not the AD-7220 series which are completely different drives). Certain LG & Pioneer drives are also very good (but not all). My favorite CD writer was the Samsung 20x SH-S202/203 series, now sadly discontinued but they can still be found on sale here. Unlike the 22x SH-S222/223 models which replaced them they were superb CD writers.

First of all I would like to thank you both for your time and suggestions :slight_smile:

If I’ll find such a combination, I’ll never change fw, disks and burning speed!!! :wink:

[QUOTE=CDan;2214644]As a very general guideline, burners that don’t like TY will often work great on Ritek.[/QUOTE]

I can’t find Ritek where I buy CDRs. Only TY, Verbatim, TDK, Maxel, Imation, Intenso, Sony, Philips. From earlier buys I know TY, Verbs, TDK and Sony are no Ritek disks. Any suggestions?

I know… Thanks :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Ibex;2214745]Your Lite-On appears to be picky enough at reading CDs to produce useful scans. But trying to compare your scans with those that other people have posted is very difficult, there are so many variables. Later Lite-On CD writers were too good at reading bad discs and the scans often don’t show much difference between good and bad CDs. For example, scans from my SOHR-5239V often don’t show any significant difference between good discs and ones which my old laptop drive finds partly unreadable.

As [I]CDan [/I]has already suggested, experiment with different writing speeds and makes of disc to see if you can find a combination which your Samsung likes. [/quote]

So, you also suggest not to see reviews and scans from other people and trust my own ones performed with 52327S?

I still cannot figure out what this speed is for my case. I’ll try 48x, 40x and 32x till I figure out!

[QUOTE=Ibex;2214745]Alternatively you may prefer to invest in a better CD writer than your Samsung SH-S223. Here in the UK DVD writers are now about the same price as 2-3 50 disc CD-R spindles. The Optiarc AD-7200 series drives are good CD writers and work well with a wide range of different discs (but not the AD-7220 series which are completely different drives). Certain LG & Pioneer drives are also very good (but not all). My favorite CD writer was the Samsung 20x SH-S202/203 series, now sadly discontinued but they can still be found on sale here. Unlike the 22x SH-S222/223 models which replaced them they were superb CD writers.[/QUOTE]

You’re not wrong at this. But if I know me well, I would say that even if I buy the BEST CD recorder, I’ll still experiment with Samsung till I find something that works good. It’s not really a matter of money cost, rather than mentality :wink:

Thanks again, I appreciate all your help!!

[QUOTE=yyy;2214999][…]I can’t find Ritek where I buy CDRs. Only TY, Verbatim, TDK, Maxel, Imation, Intenso, Sony, Philips. From earlier buys I know TY, Verbs, TDK and Sony are no Ritek disks. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]Maxell has been known to use Ritek on occasion, as have some of the others you have used before [Imation and TDK switch suppliers from time to time]. But I’d try the Maxell brand if you want to buy it in person to do a few tests. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=yyy;2214999]So, you also suggest not to see reviews and scans from other people and trust my own ones performed with 52327S?
[/QUOTE]
By all means look at other peoples scans, just remember that you can’t necessarily make a direct comparison with your own. This is true not only of other scans made on Benq, Plextor & NEC/Optiarc drives, but also scans made on newer Lite-On CD writers.

I think that you Lite-On scans should be a reliable guide to finding a good combination of disc & speed for your Samsung SH-S233. It [I]should [/I]be able to deliver consistent results.

I tried TDK CDR (ID Daxon) and TDK (ID Ricoh) from 8x up to 48x. Then scanned them at 48x, 40x and 32x. All give C2 errors… Not the combination I’m looking for :slight_smile:

Albert you were right: I had a Maxell CD-R with Ritek ID. Burnt @32x, still C2 errors :frowning:

I keep on trying. I have some Verbatims and Sony here to burn on different speeds :wink:

Since I’m performing so many tests, from now on I should post the results in the “Samsung SH-S223 results & discussion” thread… Someone else could have found CDR media working good in Samsung S223!!

Thank you all for your help!!! I really appreciate!

Sounds to me like it’s time to give up on using your Samsung SH-S223 as a CD burner, and go find a better drive for that purpose.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2216416]Sounds to me like it’s time to give up on using your Samsung SH-S223 as a CD burner, and go find a better drive for that purpose.[/QUOTE]

:bigsmile: you may be right about that :bigsmile:
My only use for CDRs is to burn audio CDs!
For the time being I can use the Liteon 52327s, it seems a very good CD burner!! Nevertheless, I’ll keep on testing the Samsung SH-S223. I’ll get some HP CDRs (CMC ID) that showed excellent results in the review here, or some other CMC media. Just out of curiosity, you know :wink: