Lite-on (Lite-On SOHW-1633S)

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On SOHW-1633S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]i’ve found a couple of post that come close to my problem, but. So were it is ,my dvd burner was a lite-on 1633s-bpsa.IT stopped reading dvd’s reads and wrights cd’s ok ,so I updated fw too csot and now reads as a sohw 1653s csot. still reads cds but no not dvds. so i thought the dvd part was a lost case then it read one. so now i know that it works,{it read the dvd after a reboot i forgot it in the drive} i have uninstalled the dvd in manager and physcily. its reinstalled no problem it reads as a dvd-+rw like it should. i have ran flash utility 3.0.2 and setting utility 1.1.0. i ran the eeprom utility 4.1.0 too[after i upgraded to1653s csot . is it soft or hard problem? i think soft.Any help?:confused:

I have the same problem with my 1633s with the stock BS0Y fw. The last time it had problems reading DVDs I opened it up and cleaned it with a can of dust-off then used a microfiber cloth on the laser lens. However, this time that didn’t help so I’m replacing it. I also have a SHM-165H6S HS0E that’s having problems reading DVDs as well. After cleaning, it is reading DVDs better but still has problems with some pressed movies. So I’m replacing it as well.

A couple of years ago I posted a tutorial on how to open the 1633s and clean it. It’s not difficult to do. You can find the post here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/any-instructions-opening-1633s-cleaning-lens-204905/#post1656244