Lite-On & LightScribe Issue [Impossible]

vbimport

I have been having an issue with my PC since I pulled it out of the box. I have done a clean install of Vista and installed only the LightScribe System Software and Simple LS Label Software. Any suggestions? I am at the end of my rope and I am ready to throw this Lite-On drive in the trash.

Here are complete details of the issue.

Problem description:

I am using the newest version of LSS and HP LightScribe
CD-R discs (LightScribe 1.2) and I am getting the following message:

The LSS does not contain information about the LightScribe disc in the drive, For optimal LightScribe labeling, and update to LSS is recommended before labeling to this disc. Or you may use generic labeling. Would you like to look for a LSS update now? [An Internet connection is required.) (556).

I have had this media for over 6 months and my drive is only 1 month old. The disc will label, but why do I keep getting this message? I have tried using different discs [Memorex and HP] and get the same result. No matter what I try the same error comes up before the burn.

Operating system:

Windows Vista x64

LightScribe drive model number:

Lite-On DH-20A4H w/ QP5A Firmware [Newest Firmware]

I found your post searching for a similar problem. But whereas you say the disk will label, mine will not under Vista, and only generically under XP (i dual boot). Why it requires an update is an issue for LightScribe.com, where i have filed my issue. What brand of blank are you using?

For a better print for you, i would recommend the last free version of SureThing disk labeler: http://www.lightscribe.com/files/setup.zip. I do get an error with that which faults the media type, but even in generic mode it prints better than the latest LightScribe.com labelers.

Here is most of the text i sent to LightScribe support:

I am glad i recently was able to get a LightScribe burner, a Lite-on DH-20A4H (28.00 total at newegg), and some Verbatim Lightscribe disks with it. I installed the drive on our Dell E520 (w/ 3.06ghz cpu and 2.5gb ram), dual booting XP HE and Vista HB, and ran the latest firmware update (QP5A) and installed the latest LightScribe SYSTEM SOFTWARE (LS_Update_1.14.19.1_.exe) and the Labelers from http://www.lightscribe.com. But when i use the Simple Labeler i get a 556 error that “The LSS does not contain information about the LightScribe disc in the drive. For optimal LightScribe labeling an update is recommended…Or you may choose to use generic labeling.”

The LightScribe Template Labeler also gives the error, that “For optimal labeling, an update to the LightScribe SYSTEM SOFTWARE is recommended,” But which update i already have installed, separately, on both XP and Vista. If i proceed with generic labeling under XP, it will print, but it is much duller than how it should look.

Under Vista If i proceed with generic labeling with either the Simple or Template labeler, i receive error 4231: "An internal LSS error has occurred with the LightScribe service. Please restart your computer and try your label again.

So i found the the free version of SureThing labeler (ver. 4.3.0192, but when i try to burn a DVD label on that i also receive an error that states “The drive resource file does not support this media type. A LightScribe host update may fix this. It is possible to do a generic print at reduced quality.” Proceeding with generic mode sometimes results in “an internal error,” but usually it does print (about 18 min.), rather blurry, without the selected background, while under Vista it always resulted in an error and an abort, before it even scribes anything visible onto the disk.

I also tried the Accoustica label maker and receive a similar error (“unable to print optimal quality…”). ON XP it will proceed with the generic print but finishes without printing anything visible.

Running the Diagnostic utility yields no errors, nor do the Known Issues or problematic Software or Troubleshooting pages provide any answers. Disks are all clean, and i do have the disk in top side down.

As Dell E520’s mobos do not have a IDE PATA interface, i am running the Lite-on off a PCI SATA/ IDE controller card, and all is detected by Windows and by the label software (and the firmware updater was a success). The Device Instance Id is SCSI\CDROM&VEN_ATAPI&PROD_DVD_A__DH20A4H&REV_QP5A\5&3B2DF02&0&040

I can also run the drive from a USB to IDE adapter but although i do not get the 4231 error, the estimated print time is approx. 3 hours, and then it actually prints nothing. I would try it on my old W/98se box but i have not found any LightScribe software for that system (though perhaps i could try it with Linux). Lite-on corp. has no other software that relates to this.

Perhaps it is the brand of disk, but i thought Verbatim was a good name.

Any help is appreciated.s.

[QUOTE=PeaceByJesus;2116877]I found your post searching for a similar problem. But whereas you say the disk will label, mine will not under Vista, and only generically under XP (i dual boot). Why it requires an update is an issue for LightScribe.com, where i have filed my issue. What brand of blank are you using?

For a better print for you, i would recommend the last free version of SureThing disk labeler: http://www.lightscribe.com/files/setup.zip. I do get an error with that which faults the media type, but even in generic mode it prints better than the latest LightScribe.com labelers.

Here is most of the text i sent to LightScribe support:

I am glad i recently was able to get a LightScribe burner, a Lite-on DH-20A4H (28.00 total at newegg), and some Verbatim Lightscribe disks with it. I installed the drive on our Dell E520 (w/ 3.06ghz cpu and 2.5gb ram), dual booting XP HE and Vista HB, and ran the latest firmware update (QP5A) and installed the latest LightScribe SYSTEM SOFTWARE (LS_Update_1.14.19.1_.exe) and the Labelers from http://www.lightscribe.com. But when i use the Simple Labeler i get a 556 error that “The LSS does not contain information about the LightScribe disc in the drive. For optimal LightScribe labeling an update is recommended…Or you may choose to use generic labeling.”

The LightScribe Template Labeler also gives the error, that “For optimal labeling, an update to the LightScribe SYSTEM SOFTWARE is recommended,” But which update i already have installed, separately, on both XP and Vista. If i proceed with generic labeling under XP, it will print, but it is much duller than how it should look.

Under Vista If i proceed with generic labeling with either the Simple or Template labeler, i receive error 4231: "An internal LSS error has occurred with the LightScribe service. Please restart your computer and try your label again.

So i found the the free version of SureThing labeler (ver. 4.3.0192, but when i try to burn a DVD label on that i also receive an error that states “The drive resource file does not support this media type. A LightScribe host update may fix this. It is possible to do a generic print at reduced quality.” Proceeding with generic mode sometimes results in “an internal error,” but usually it does print (about 18 min.), rather blurry, without the selected background, while under Vista it always resulted in an error and an abort, before it even scribes anything visible onto the disk.

I also tried the Accoustica label maker and receive a similar error (“unable to print optimal quality…”). ON XP it will proceed with the generic print but finishes without printing anything visible.

Running the Diagnostic utility yields no errors, nor do the Known Issues or problematic Software or Troubleshooting pages provide any answers. Disks are all clean, and i do have the disk in top side down.

As Dell E520’s mobos do not have a IDE PATA interface, i am running the Lite-on off a PCI SATA/ IDE controller card, and all is detected by Windows and by the label software (and the firmware updater was a success). The Device Instance Id is SCSI\CDROM&VEN_ATAPI&PROD_DVD_A__DH20A4H&REV_QP5A\5&3B2DF02&0&040

I can also run the drive from a USB to IDE adapter but although i do not get the 4231 error, the estimated print time is approx. 3 hours, and then it actually prints nothing. I would try it on my old W/98se box but i have not found any LightScribe software for that system (though perhaps i could try it with Linux). Lite-on corp. has no other software that relates to this.

Perhaps it is the brand of disk, but i thought Verbatim was a good name.

Any help is appreciated.s.[/QUOTE]

I am using HP CD-R LS discs and Memorex DVD+R LS discs. All get the same results with each type of media. I think it may be the QP5A firmware. Did you have the problem before that?

I do not know if I did or not as I upgraded my firmware due to an issue with a Crysis game disc. I later found I could not burn a LightScribe disc without getting this error.

I have worked with Lite-On support and they are worthless. Velocity Micro, my PC maker, sent me a new Lite-On Drive [same model, old firmware] to try. I am installing it tommorow.

Lastly, I have been working with LightScribe support, but they have yet to solve the problem. So far, LightScribe, Lite-On, and Velocity Micro have yet to solve this issue. I am about to buy a new drive out my own pocket…

[QUOTE=Tek20;2117085]I am using HP CD-R LS discs and Memorex DVD+R LS discs. All get the same results with each type of media. I think it may be the QP5A firmware. Did you have the problem before that? [/QUOTE]

Well, that seems to indicate that my problem is not with Verb. disks. As for the firmware, yes i had the problem before the update, which is sppd to enable wider disk compat, and that is why i did the update.

Did you say you can not burn in the optimal setting? In any case get the SureThing labeler.

Lite-On is said to make most drives and overall this drive has good reviews (except for the noise level), but i think only 2 out of 63 reviews affirmed lightscribe worked but one said “IT WOULD BE NICE IF THE LIGHTSCRIBE WOULD WORK.” More searching brings up this reviewwho says,

REVIEW BY: Debby Reviewed Jun 30, 2008

“The unit itself is good, I have no problems with it but it is the Lightscribe I am having trouble with and that was the reason I bought it. This unit will only work with Verbatim CDs! I have never had a burner that would only work with one kind of media before. I plan on sending it back!”

This is the first time i have had a lightscribe drive, but after more reading it seems like getting a printer that will print DVDs would provide better quality. I think NEWEGG will RMA this lite-on drive back, but outside of the lightscribe problem it is a good burner for the price. I almost bought a sata HP lightscribe at newegg which looked good for 31.00 total, but i wanted a burner to use on my old w/98se box. I may try installing linux on that and see if this will do lightscribe. I am using 80-conductor cable btw.

What might be helpful is a CD freak that uses this Lite-On drive and can burn in full mode. May God bless.

[QUOTE=PeaceByJesus;2117262]Well, that seems to indicate that my problem is not with Verb. disks. As for the firmware, yes i had the problem before the update, which is sppd to enable wider disk compat, and that is why i did the update.

Did you say you can not burn in the optimal setting? In any case get the SureThing labeler.

Lite-On is said to make most drives and overall this drive has good reviews (except for the noise level), but i think only 2 out of 63 reviews affirmed lightscribe worked but one said “IT WOULD BE NICE IF THE LIGHTSCRIBE WOULD WORK.” More searching brings up this reviewwho says,

REVIEW BY: Debby Reviewed Jun 30, 2008

“The unit itself is good, I have no problems with it but it is the Lightscribe I am having trouble with and that was the reason I bought it. This unit will only work with Verbatim CDs! I have never had a burner that would only work with one kind of media before. I plan on sending it back!”

This is the first time i have had a lightscribe drive, but after more reading it seems like getting a printer that will print DVDs would provide better quality. I think NEWEGG will RMA this lite-on drive back, but outside of the lightscribe problem it is a good burner for the price. I almost bought a sata HP lightscribe at newegg which looked good for 31.00 total, but i wanted a burner to use on my old w/98se box. I may try installing linux on that and see if this will do lightscribe. I am using 80-conductor cable btw.

What might be helpful is a CD freak that uses this Lite-On drive and can burn in full mode. May God bless.[/QUOTE]

I just installed a new drive of the same model, but with the QP53 firmware. I have no issues! As I type this it is now burning a disc. The burn is good. I would do an RMA.

I am now sure it is a bad drive. LightScribe told me that this is caused by a weak or defective optical sensor. I guess they were right. I have tried every single software fix. Save time and go for the RMA.

[QUOTE=Tek20;2117400]I just installed a new drive of the same model, but with the QP53 firmware. I have no issues! As I type this it is now burning a disc. The burn is good. I would do an RMA.

I am now sure it is a bad drive. LightScribe told me that this is caused by a weak or defective optical sensor. I guess they were right. I have tried every single software fix. Save time and go for the RMA.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. For clarification, in your orig. post you said that you got the update needed error, but that it would burn. I take that to mean it would lightscribe only in generic mode. Otherwise did it burn disks ok?

The support forum at lightscribe.com has little activity and answers are scarce, our problem usual being ascribed to software conflicts. I am waiting for a reply from their tech support and Lite-On’s, but i have rcvd a reply from Verbatim, “The errors are normally software related and should be corrected with the latest system software update. The discs will not cause this type of error.”

I am about to RMA it, but had better hurry, as my 30 day warranty is up 9-5. Thanks for the confirmation

I have been dealing with LightScribe for weeks now and have reached their top support. The issue is with the QP5A firmware. The LightScribe system software cannot identify the drive and media because of the firmware issue. They suggest you install the QP53 [the older firmware] to solve the issue. My replacement drive has the QP53 firmware. You may want to try and worth with LightScribe support as they are excellent. Here is their reply.

[I]The LightScribe System Software has information about all the different
LightScribe drives and media available. This information is used to determine the best parameters for burning each type of disc in different drives.

I escalated this problem to our engineering staff, and it appears that there is a problem in firmware version QP5A that causes the LightScribe System Software to be unable to identify the drive.

Since the drive is not recognized, the software cannot determine what burning parameters to use and defaults to generic printing.

I tried to find an older version of the firmware on the Lite On website, but the only one available is the current version. I recommend that you contact Lite-On and request that they provide the original firmware.[/I]

[QUOTE=Tek20;2117520]I have been dealing with LightScribe for weeks now and have reached their top support. The issue is with the QP5A firmware. The LightScribe system software cannot identify the drive and media because of the firmware issue. They suggest you install the QP53 [the older firmware] to solve the issue. My replacement drive has the QP53 firmware. You may want to try and worth with LightScribe support as they are excellent. Here is their reply.

[I]The LightScribe System Software has information about all the different
LightScribe drives and media available. This information is used to determine the best parameters for burning each type of disc in different drives.

I escalated this problem to our engineering staff, and it appears that there is a problem in firmware version QP5A that causes the LightScribe System Software to be unable to identify the drive.

Since the drive is not recognized, the software cannot determine what burning parameters to use and defaults to generic printing.

I tried to find an older version of the firmware on the Lite On website, but the only one available is the current version. I recommend that you contact Lite-On and request that they provide the original firmware.[/I][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the additional info. I just rcvd. the same reply from LSS support. But my problem preceded the QP5A update, and you said lite-on suspects a weak laser. Othershave had problems, the latter was resolved as yours was. i have searched for the old QP53 but found none except a patched version. Today i keep getting internal errors trying to burn generically with SureThing. I will wait a bit and see if Lite-On support responds. I’d better pray and purchase better!