Lite-On LH-20A1S audio problem

I’m the lucky owner of not one but 2 of these drives.
My problem is that I can’t get either one to play DVD movies correctly.
What I mean is that they will show the picture fine but I get no audio.
If I put a cd in the drive with music they will play all day.

I’ve been all through the bios and upgraded the Lite-On drives with the latest firmware.

I have a new ASUS P5B-E mobo and a Duo 2 Core e6600 CPU 4 gig of PC2-6400 memory. Using Windows XP home with SP2. A creative SB Live sound card. the onboard sound device has been disabled in the bios. It was causing sound problems for some programs.

Any thoughts. I’m at my witts end here.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Do you have this problem with pressed discs or with burned ones?

What player are you using to watch these DVDs?

They are pressed. I assume you mean store bought. Either really.
I’m using windows media player 11 but have tried a lite version of nero. The one that comes bundled with the drive.

I’ve also tried connecting the sata cable to the boot section and data section of the mobo for the sata connections.

I did at one time remove the SB card and load all the software and drivers for the onboard sound device. (Soundmax) and still the same results.

To watch DVD movies on your computer, I suggest to use a better player. One of the most diffused is PowerDVD, but there are also many freeware alternatives like VLC player :slight_smile:

I have same the MB,… OS winxp pro sp2,…the only pc movie viewer I have is PowerDVD and the sound is good. :iagree:

I’ll give the trial version a try. only thing is I have a second computer. It’s an out of the box Acer and I can watch movies fine from that machine. It doesn’t have the Lite-On drive like the one I have in the machine that doesn’t work. They are Lite-on LH-18A1P and SHW-160P6S. I can use either one with the Windows media player.

I’ll let you know how this goes.

Ok here it goes. At the urging from a friend at work I bought a copy of WinDVD Platinum. I loaded it when I got home and it played like a champ. Never thought I would get Lord of The Rings to play in my main computer.

Thanks for all the help here.

Steve