Lite-On LH-20A1s acts like an 8x burner

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On LH-20A1S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I just bought a Lite-On LH-20A1s. The problem is that it doesn’t register or burn faster than 8x.

When I check the DVD write speeds range in Nero info tool, the top DVD burn speed is “8x” 12x, 16x, and 20x are not listed. When I put a TYG02 blank in, it is limited to 8x. It looks like an 8X drive.

I flashed Codeking’s most recent over speed firmware for this drive, 9L09, but the drive is still limited to 8x. Everything else appears normal.

I have a new Dell box with XP Pro that originally came with a CD only burner in this SATA slot. I can run my USB BenQ external dive at speeds over 8X, no problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA,

Zeno

You need the latest smartburn util and enable OverSpeedWriting. TYG02 are 8x anyways, arent they?

Thanks I downloaded Smart Burn & I can now burn TYG02 at up to 12X, which is what I expected. It has been a while since I has a Lite-On burner.

But, I am now seeing a maximum burn speed in Nero Info tool with no blank in the burner of 12x, still not 20x. Is that normal?

Thanks.

Zeno

It’s normal.

20x is the maximum write speed for the drive, but it is only for certain 16x media.

8x media is locked to 8x [12x overspeed] by LiteOn drives. To overspeed any higher would give crappy results.

A few drives overspeed select 8x media to 12x, and even fewer to 16x, but none to 20x.