Lite-On LH-20A1P firmware downloads?

Hi all.

My father purchased this drive the other day as it was all he could get at short notice. It seems ok for dvd’s but has trouble recognizing several cdr’s we’ve tried. It came with f/w KL0M so I went to the Liteon global site and grabbed the newer KL0N which didn’t fix the problem, not that I expected it to with cdr’s anyway.

Do you think it’s worth trying a previous firmware? Problem is they don’t seem to list older firmwares on the download sites. Also the european site lists:

DR20KL0A.zip 06/28/2007 13:34:46

while the US site lists:

DR20KL05.zip 06/28/2007 13:34:46

and the global site has:

DR20KL0N.zip 06/28/2007 13:34:46

All different versions but with the same publish date. They don’t have a different firmware for different regions do they? Also, I would need to use a “third party” flasher to backflash, correct?

You can get some of the older firmwares from the Codeguys’ firmware page. These firmwares have been modified so that you can flash them directly, even if you have a more recent firmware.

Codeguys’ LiteOn LH-20A1P firmwares

Yeah, I found them but was a little apprehensive about using them as I’m not sure whether the drive is defective yet. I was hoping Lite-On would have official download links. The company links of older f/w’s posted in the threads here don’t work any more.

I tried flashing with the DR20KL0A.zip found on the euro site and it popped up an error that said:

No matched drive detected!
This utility is only for LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1P drive.
Is that just because you can’t flash to a previous firmware?