Lite-On LH-20A1L SATA and Quality Scan Speed?

HI

I just bought a Lite-On LH-20A1L SATA with firmware BL02. Which speed do quality scan at?

Thanks
NBK

Hehe, there’s some debate about this one. :slight_smile:

This is how I see it: the board standard for newer (5S onwards) Liteys is 8x, but I think jitter is more accurate at 4x.

Put it this way - in all the scan threads in here, it’s usually 8x.

Yep, show us your 8X scans :stuck_out_tongue: We’ll tell you how lucky you are :bigsmile:

Another 8x fan? :bigsmile:

Hehe, you know I ran clean outta luck :wink:

IMO 12x is closer to the true reading behavior. :slight_smile:
At 16x, sometimes the Litey will just become mean and misbehave (and report bogus PIF clumps) :smiley:

Hi

The scans are brutal…
The first was burned at 18x and the second was burned at 16x.

NBK

LOL! Nicely put :bigsmile:

@NBK - try 'em again at 8x :slight_smile:

Hi Arachne,

Do you burn at 8x?

NBK

Yeah, 8x or 12x usually :slight_smile:

Edit: it’s a habit DrageMester got me into!

[I]Off topic[/I]

A bad habit, I think. :bigsmile:
This is a “20x AllWrite” [heh he…] drive. :stuck_out_tongue:

[I]On topic[/I]
These “20” drives should be able to burn that Verb media nicely at 16 or even 18x, if propperly built. Problem here is quality of drive.

Hi

Here is the 16x burn in a Benq 1650.

NBK

Hi

Here is the 18x burn quality scanned in a Benq 1650…

NBK

Someone willing to dump the BL02 firmware? :stuck_out_tongue:

If you mainly want to compare scans with LiteOn scans posted by other CDFreaks users, you should scan at 8x.

If you want to compare your scans with CDF reviews, or you want the most “accurate” jitter scans, you should scan at 4x.

If you want to stress-test your DVDs to see if there are any reading problems. you should scan at 16x. This is more art than science however, and you need to perform quite a few high-speed scans to get a “feel” for how your drive scans at high speed. Variance between drives and media are magnified, sometimes radically, when scanning at high speed.

:flower:

:disagree: :smiley:

Hehe, I just knew the Dragon wouldn’t resist this thread :wink:

Hi [B]NBK[/B], you have a better than average drive. Most Lite-On LH-series are poor scanners, so ignore (PIF) results in the first 1 to 2 GB and trust your BenQ instead :slight_smile:

Hey Cressida,

Is there another way to get another Benq 1650/1655 burner for scanning purposes? These things are rarer than hen’s teeth. Does the Pioneer 112 make a good scanner?

NBK

Hi all,

Here is Verbatim 16x burned @ 12x. It does not look good.

NBK

They still turn up occasionally, just a couple of days ago it was in the Bargain Basement section. And you can check the “Vanishing” thread in the BenQ section (I’m in Europe so I don’t follow this closely). Pioneers are no good for scanning.

Since you appear to have one of the better LiteOn’s however (and if you have the patience), you can scan @4X. The results should be usable, just make sure the disc is already spinning when you start the scan.

Your Verbatim burns seem to be getting worse, maybe a “Clear OPC Memory” with SmartBurn 3.1.16t is in order. Some people have better luck with SmartBurn turned off.