Lite-ON LH-20A1L Questions

Hi, I just bought a Lite-On LH-20A1L for my system and I have some questions. First, is it a good drive? I read pretty good review at CDRLabs about it and people seem to like it. What I use it for the most now is backing up movies. I use AnyDVD and CloneDVD 2 for my software.

Secondly and this is a bit obvious. I went to the Lite-On site to upgrade my firmware and downloaded it and it wouldn’t upgrade it. It gave me this error: Error This Utility is only for LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1L drive. I found that odd since this was the drive until I saw on here firmware updates. The firmware update I d/led was BL02. The firmware update that is on the drive is BL05. That seems odd to me that the Lite-On site has a firmware revision that is 3 revisions old…that is if they go sequentially and not skip any numbers.

Having said that, I know sometimes new firmware updates can actually cause problems and so one might want to install an older version. I don’t want to do this currently, but I’m wondering if it’s possible if I so wish in the future?

Thanks!

Hi, You’re drive’s firmware is current. A downgrade is not advisable.

Always check liteonit’s [U]global[/U] site for updates. Flashing with BL05 again should work, but if it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it (and worry about it later, if another update comes out).

Thanks, I don’t want to downgrade the firmware version. Fortunately it wouldn’t let me, but I would like to know how to do so if I need to in the future. Thanks for Lite-On Global suggestion. That’s weird that the US site doesn’t have the latest firmware.

Just try to run the BL05 update. If that will allow the flash (you can tell without actually hitting Update and doing it), then future releases will work too. If not, then it’s probably a SATA driver issue or incompatibility with your SATA controller.

Thanks, it will allow it, but can you do downgrades? I only ask this because as I said before, I’ve done firmware upgrades in the past and occasionally, an older version is better than a newer one. Since it wouldn’t let me downgrade to the BL02 version, it looks like you cannot do this.

If you want different (and probably better) f/w for your 20A1L, look here:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/liteon-16a7s-16w1p-16-18-20a1p-h-s-l-fastburn-enhanced-overspeed-enhanced-oht-firmware-new-207033/#post1670906

Of course, flashing with experimental f/w would kill the warranty on your new burner. :iagree:

[QUOTE=Bowen;1974994]Thanks, it will allow it, but can you do downgrades? I only ask this because as I said before, I’ve done firmware upgrades in the past and occasionally, an older version is better than a newer one. Since it wouldn’t let me downgrade to the BL02 version, it looks like you cannot do this.[/QUOTE]

For that you need unlocked flasher firmware, which can be found at codeguys.rpc1.org .

Thanks guys…that’s what I wanted to know!!