Lite-On LH-20A1H Won't Recognize DVD

vbimport

Didn’t see this issue in the forum search:

My Lite-On LH-20A1H won’t recognize some DVDs. Example: I go to Blockbuster, pick up a perfectly legal DVD, come home, and the drive won’t recognize it. The drive will spin up a few times, then nothing. When I navigate to the drive in Explorer I see that computer doesn’t even know a disk is in the drive.

This only happens with certain DVDs and the problem is repeatable. I am tempted to think this is some sort of DRM issue, but I wanted to know if anyone here has had this problem before or knows how to solve it.

Many thanks!

@ Axx,

Welcome to the Forum.

With the new overly aggressive Copy Protection Schemes employed on some Commercial DVD Movie Titles it is not unusual to have a Commercial DVD Movie Title fail to be recognized and/or fail to play correctly on some DVD devises.

The problem is that these Commercial DVD Movie manufactures in an effort to prevent copying of their Commercial DVD Movies manufacture a DVD with an overly aggressive Copy Protection Scheme that does not meet the compliant DVD speciation which causes the Commercial DVD Movie Title to become unrecognizable and/or fail to play correctly on some DVD devises.

The DVD Movie rental stores like Block Buster are fully aware of this problem and usually don’t charge their customers when the customer makes them aware of the problem with the Commercial DVD Movie Title rental.

The remedy to the problem is for customers to forcible complain about the overly aggressive Copy Protection Schemes employed by Commercial DVD Movie manufactures and when they receive enough complaints they will stop making none compliant Commercial DVD Movies.

Many times the SlySoft AnyDVD (http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html) software program works on these Commercial DVD Movie Titles that have an overly aggressive Copy Protection Scheme.

Regards,
bjkg

Thank you for such a lucid response - it was very helpful. I will certainly look into the software you mentioned.

But I will also mention here (for posterity) that upgrading to the last firmware has seemed to help the situation. However, in the past, upgrading firmware has simply fixed the “no-play” problem for [I]some[/I] legal DVDs and [I]created[/I] a “no-play” problem for others.