Lite-On LH-20A1H Vs Samsung SH-S203B

Friends

I need a good DVD writer for home use to backup my downloaded movies, songs and my personal data.

I had almost decided for Lite-On LH-20A1H (with Light Scribe), but now seeing Samsung SH-S203B is doing well too and awarded “Editor’s Choice” award by CDFreaks !

Plz suggest me a gud one.

Thanx

I have the LH-20A1S (non-LS SATA) and the SH-203B.

Honestly, I’ve had a bit more luck with the Lite-On. The SH-203B just doesn’t like my MCC04 media. It tries to overspeed it by default and fails. If I limit it to 16X, it works fine. The Lite-On doesn’t try to overspeed it by default, unless I turn overspeed on, then it tries to overspeed and fails but falls back at the end of the burn so it doesn’t make a crappy burn.

I just think the walking OPC is better on the LH-20A1S.

However, if you have any 20X-capable SL media, you want the 203B. This is because the Lite-On cannot do lossless linking at 20X. So if you get a buffer underrun during a 20X burn, you get a coaster. Honestly, this means you’re never really want to do a 20X burn on the Lite-On.

Also, if you ever plan on getting DVD+R DL media faster than 8X, you want the 203B, since it will write DVD+R DL media at up to 16X.

Also, there is region-free firmware for the Lite-On, but not for the 203B.

There, that’s all the data, you make up your own mind.

If you want to do media/writing quality scans and you don’t already have a drive that supports this capability, the Liteon gets the nod. The 203B can perform Nero Speed PIE/PIF scans with a registry hack, but reportedly is not as consistant as a Litey in this regard nor can it offer jitter scans.

I believe ur saying the firmware(s) for Samsung SH-S203B is made for specific region.
But I ve checked their site (Welcome to Samsung Electronics ODD Division) which says the firmware for the device is WORLD WIDE !

Again, I’m not a pro to choose a device and request you suggest one for home use with best performance & write quality.

What is the exact model number for SH-S203B RETAIL + BLACK version ?

Thanx

Hi,[QUOTE=CDDVDFreaks;1916359]I believe ur saying the firmware(s) for Samsung SH-S203B is made for specific region.[/QUOTE]:disagree: Region free means, you are not restricted in playback of DVD video obtained world-wide. See DVD region code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If you only use video DVDs from your home region, this is not an issue for you.

[QUOTE=CDDVDFreaks;1916359]What is the exact model number for SH-S203B RETAIL + BLACK version ?[/QUOTE]Retail comes with three frontplates (at least here in germany): black, silver and beige in the box. So, looking for “RETAIL” should be enough, normally.

Michael

You can just ignore the Region Free thing now, as an RPC1 (region-free) firmware was just posted on here for the SH-203B. So now both can be made region-free.

I think it would make more sense for 8x and 12x to burn faster then to burn at 18x/20x
8x 7min
12x 6min
16x can be sped up as well if you start at 8x and go up to 16x
so its like a mix of speed and quality. a flat 5 min.
i hate it when the burner spin really fast and make a lot of noise.
Now we’re talking a marginal difference between 8x,12x,16x vs 18x20x
Which mean 18x,20x will be useless in the near future when 90 percent of the media isn’t capable of burning at this insane speed.

To the poster, why not get both burner and then you can compare
I assure you won’t find much difference between the two.

If you are gonna burn double layer media go with the 203B. I have both drives and the 203B is definitely better at it.

[QUOTE=CDDVDFreaks;1916274]Friends

I need a good DVD writer for home use to backup [B]my downloaded movies, songs[/B] and my personal data.

I had almost decided for Lite-On LH-20A1H (with Light Scribe), but now seeing Samsung SH-S203B is doing well too and awarded “Editor’s Choice” award by CDFreaks !

Plz suggest me a gud one.

Thanx[/QUOTE]

203 would be my fave, but I also would think about the part “my” in combination with downloaded content if I were you. :bigsmile:

can’t speak to the 203b retail in states, but i have bought the 203n retail. no multiple faces plates included. at least from the best buy boxes.

[QUOTE=chef;1921870]203 would be my fave, but I also would think about the part “my” in combination with downloaded content if I were you. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Perhaps he meant legally [B]downloaded[/B] Me & [B]My[/B] movies and music. Although i could be wrong :slight_smile:

However i’m sure the 203 works well for backups of legally downloaded stuff. It would get my vote over the LiteOn …