LITE-ON LDW851S does not burn

I just bought a LITE-ON external dvd writer which i connect to my laptop through a PCMCIA cardbus adapter (because i do not have USB2).

My problem is that it cannot burn anything at all!!! Nero sets as a default burning the drive of the laptop’s cd writer, and dows not want to pick up the USB LITE-ON.

So, I try to burn using the Windows XP burning, and I ticked on the “enable CD recording on this drive” and even use 4x speed as a precaution. Funny enough, it can read CDs and DVDs and even erase some Packard Bell CD-RW I got. But when it comes to writing even CD-RWs, it just throws a message “Cannot Complete the CD Writing Wizzard… there was an error in the writing process…” not telling what the error is!!! and throws the disk out.

Anybody got any clue what’s happening??

Hey, got the CD-RW sorted!!! All it needed was a Windows XP Update about an issue with cd burning.

However, it still cannot burn data on DVDs, even though it understands that a DVD-RW is on the drive (cause it shows the correct DVD disk size). Nero still cannot reckognise the Lite-on. I disabled the laptop’s cd writer to avoid any conflicts, and also disabled the aspi but still no improvements…

A run on the kprobe2 on the SPTI does not show anything suspicious…

Any help will be much appreciated…