Lite-On LDW-851S won't recognise DVDs but CD is OK

vbimport

Hello again

having a minor ( or major ) problem

I’ve had my Mach8 Lite-On DVDRW LDW-851S for a good 8 months now, never had any problems with the drive.

I had removed it from my system back in June and stored it away ( as I wasn’t backing up any CD/DVD for a while )

Well last week ( Sept 2nd 2004 ) I re-installed the Mach8 Lite-On DVDRW LDW-851S back in my computer , it READS and WRITES to CD-R/+R with no problem, but its not recognising DVDS

I’ve tried different brand DVD-R/+R and it still doesnt show up

the DRIVE shows up in Windows Explorer, but when the DVD is inside it doesn’t do anything ( after about 10 seconds of scanning the inserted disc )

In Windows explorer the F drive ( my CD/DVD ) it doesn’t show theres a DVD in the drive, but all CD workd and shows up

I tried BLANKS and Recorded DVD movies and NONE is working

My system has been updated (patches) by Microsoft a few times since June , I’m wondering if the Microsoft Patch may have caused this problem ?
None of my CD/DVD software is recognising when I insert DVD

anyone had this problem ? how can this be resolved ?

summary: DVD Drive plays and records to CD but won’t recognise DVDs
this system was working fine with DVDs for months, then suddenly stopped (?)

Thanks in advance for all information/help

My System specs is :
Pentium 4 1.8 Ghz
512 MB DDR
98 MB Radeon Video Card
120 GIG HARDDRIVE ( C drive )
80 GIGS SLAVES ( D and E drives )
Mach8 Lite-On DVDRW LDW-851S GSOK ( F drive )

::::::::::

hello ???

Hi x2u

I have the exact same problem and I have no idea why :frowning: i have not been able to fix it for a while now and can’t find anything about it on the net.

It is doing same thing, reading and burning CD’s is ok but reading or writing DVD’s is not. Please if anyone knows how to fix this problem help us !!! I have so much i need to burn onto dvd and can’t :frowning:

I thought it might be that my burner had just broke but didn’t quite understand why it was ok with CD’s and not DVD’s

If I listen to it carefully when I put a DVD in, I can hear it trying to read but then failing and retrying over and over again…

Please help anyone!!

Try to do the following, go into device manager, uninstall all optical drives, and also delete all ide channels, then reboot, and don’t boot normally, boot into safe mode right away, and do the same thing deleting/uninstalling. Then shut down the PC entirely (no restart) and then boot up again from fresh, see if it gives windows a nudge, by the way, is this in 2k or XP O/S?

I hope that helps, can’t think of anything else atm.

Thanks for response

I’ll try this sometime tonight or tomorrow

I’m on Windows XP Pro with SP2

( I thought this topic was in the wrong forum so I had made a new one in another HARDWARE forum move or delete if necessary ) thanks.

Try your drive in another system, when possible. When you get the same problems in another system, it’s the drive’s fault. This problems happen to more LiteOn burners. If you still got warranty, RMA it! If warranty’s over, buy a new one, it probably can’t be fixed.

Hello ALL,
well I tried every advice given on the site and NOTHING WORKED

So I just requested an RMA and will just return to manufacture for exchange or fix

to others, get your RMA by writing to tech support at support@pacificdigital.com
or calling 888-999-0732
This drive was manufactured in December 2003 so most likely everyone with this problem still is under warranty.

http://www.pacificdigital.com/warranty.asp
Consumer Storage Products - Pacific Digital Corporation offers a 12 month limited warranty on its consumer storage products (CDRW, DVD, HDD, etc.) for a period of 12 months from the date of invoice to the end user (Customer).

Good luck all.

DO NOT PURCHASE FROM PACIFICDIGITAL.COM or their items in stores

very bad support/responses

will post experience with them later