Lite On LDW-811S. Tried it?

Hello all ,’ )

I’m considering on buying this recorder (reasonable price for a 8x dvd recorder), but i’ve still read no comments on how it is performing…
As I see in the forums, it’s predecessor, the 411s is giving headaches to most people, so I’m worried those problems can still occurr with the 811.
Anyone tried it?

Thanks in advance! =)
kyuss.

Hi and Welcome! :slight_smile:

1: So far it not available for sale other places than in south Korea to my knownledge. So there is not many comments yet…
2: it’s almost identical to the LDW-411 and have the same media support as the LDW-411S with firmware FS0B, so I guess it have the same media compatibility issues.

hello and thanks for your fast and kind reply! =)

well, i’m from barcelona and i’ve seen two places sending this burner nearby.
i just called one of these shops this morning and they ran out of stocks. they say they’ll have more in less than a week, so i’ll hold on and keep reading, and if i get any news i’ll let you know.

cheers!
kyuss.

Available in Australia as already mentioned in another thread.

No way I would buy one though!

1. Will someone announge it when it’s available through Newegg? :stuck_out_tongue:

2. Why? :confused: As the Vice-President of the Lite-On Fanboys Club, I demand answers!!! :wink: But really, Lite-On’s been pretty good, why wouldn’t you get one, assuming you’re in the 8x DVD burner market?
    -keith

1. Why? As the Vice-President of the Lite-On Fanboys Club, I demand answers!!! But really, Lite-On’s been pretty good, why wouldn’t you get one, assuming you’re in the 8x DVD burner market?

keefyboy old son, you must have your head where the sun don’t shine. After all the problems with the 411s how in the world can you recomend the 8x version of this disaster.

You gotta sell that LiteOn stock and go on with life. :stuck_out_tongue:

Most of the problems with the 411S seem to have been with DVD-R media. DVD+R would seem to be the stuff to use on the 811S drives, considering that only DVD+R discs can be written at 8X…

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]Hi and Welcome! :slight_smile:

1: So far it not available for sale other places than in south Korea to my knownledge.[/B]

It is on sale in the UK for £123

Originally posted by robman
Most of the problems with the 411S seem to have been with DVD-R media. DVD+R would seem to be the stuff to use on the 811S drives, considering that only DVD+R discs can be written at 8X…

…which is why Pioneer just announced an 8X DVD-R capable drive. :slight_smile:

Too bad it’s not out yet, it would be interesting to burn 4x -R media at 8X and see the results.

At this point, I’m leaning toward a Sony dual format (maybe even the liteon rebadge model) or a DVR-1/A06. Anybody got any advice between the two?

Of course, I still have about 75 pieces of DVD-R media that work fine on my 104 at 2X and I probably won’t get another drive until they get close to running out, so maybe Lite-On will fix the 411 by then…now that Litey has DVD writers, I feel like a traitor getting another brand…

it’s ok dentman, i felt like a traitor myself. i was getting impatient waiting for a lite-on dual format recorder. :stuck_out_tongue:

As far as I know the pioneer 8X will only support 8X certified DVD-R discs at 8X.

[B]Hi and Welcome! :slight_smile:

1: So far it not available for sale other places than in south Korea to my knownledge. So there is not many comments yet…
2: it’s almost identical to the LDW-411 and have the same media support as the LDW-411S with firmware FS0B, so I guess it have the same media compatibility issues. [/B]

Liteon sent me a 811s which arrived today and am starting to look at it. If anyone wants specific information or questions just ask.

cheers
NicW
www.dvdinfopro.com
www.dvdrrw.org

I have some questions :slight_smile:

Does it burn @ 8x to any 4x DVD+R media? I’ve seen contradictory information regarding this.

And is the 8x recording CLV or Z-CLV? (I assume the latter although LiteOn’s site claims CLV).

Does it have problems with burning fully compatible DVD-Rs?

Originally posted by jsl
[B]I have some questions :slight_smile:

Does it burn @ 8x to any 4x DVD+R media? I’ve seen contradictory information regarding this.

And is the 8x recording CLV or Z-CLV? (I assume the latter although LiteOn’s site claims CLV).

Does it have problems with burning fully compatible DVD-Rs? [/B]

It only burns 8x to certified media, which means I cannot test this yet as 8x media is just not available.

I asked that and was informed CLV, I am trying to get more info on that very thing so at the moment I would not confirm one way or the other.

Compatibility seems a little better than the current firmware on the 411s, though still problematic on some of the readers here.

cheers
nicw

I should not post this as it will only rise more questions…but I’ll do it anyway :wink:

The written discs is readable, but slows down in many drives. I would not be to worried about that as ricohjpnr01 is not supported at 8X with this drive. Only 8X certified media will work at 8X…

No this is not a real LDW-811S, yes firmware is modified to allow 8X writing to ricohjpnr01 4X media.

No I won’t post modified firmware to OC (do not even PM/mail me), as it do not work as it should. DVD-R writing is broken after the OC (writes discs that is 100% coasters only).

I should not post this as it will only rise more questions…but I’ll do it anyway :wink:

Yes… maybe you shouldn’t have posted this since it will surely raise questions even if you ask not to do so.
Concerning the “rules” - am I right that discussing 411s->811s conversion is allowed as no license issues are involved?
Of course we would never mention which program to use for flashing modified firmware such as you did. :wink:

@ nicw

I intend to buy 811s.
Mainly i burn +r/rw (video) & my own games (newest SD/securom new).
Do you think 811s is a good buy ?

What about compatability with Verbatim +r/rw media ?

thank you

Originally posted by polka_brother
Yes… maybe you shouldn’t have posted this since it will surely raise questions even if you ask not to do so.
Concerning the “rules” - am I right that discussing 411s->811s conversion is allowed as no license issues are involved?
Of course we would never mention which program to use for flashing modified firmware such as you did. :wink:

I knew you were going to jump in here:

1: I see no problems with LDW-411S --> LDW-811S as long as no EEPROM modifying is needed (not yet sure if that is needed).
2: As long as there is no EEPROM modifying, we may just use mtkwinflash or mtkflash :wink:

But if it requires EEPROM modifying, then we are not going to allow it here…

the answers will be all over the web in a week.just not here i guess:p but rules are rules.

I see no problems with LDW-411S --> LDW-811S as long as no EEPROM modifying is needed (not yet sure if that is needed).

Well, in fact I would -prefer- not having to modify the eeprom.
So the natural question is which parts of the 811s are to be modified to make it at least “working” on a 411s?
Merging entire parts of both firmwares or just modifying specific codes?
Sorry, but you provoked these questions - otherwise your post would be just useful for making us curious…