Lite-on LDW-811S Door is sticky

Hi Folks,

if anyone has a LDW-811S could they just give me 2 secs of their time.

I’ve just purchased this unit, and when I press the eject button, it seems as if the tray is sticking a little as it’s ejecting.

It initially pops out at a good speed, then at about 1/2 out it slows way down before coming to a stop when fully ejected. It sounds as if the drive mechanism needs oiled! But this is a new machine!

So questions:

1. Is it normal for Lite-On drives to slow way down (about 1/2 the initial speed) as they are ejecting?

2. Is it safe, and if so, where would I place a little oil to loosen things up?

Thanks!

Originally posted by pilotsnipes
[B]Hi Folks,

I’ve just purchased this unit, and when I press the eject button, it seems as if the tray is sticking a little as it’s ejecting.

It initially pops out at a good speed, then at about 1/2 out it slows way down before coming to a stop when fully ejected. It sounds as if the drive mechanism needs oiled! But this is a new machine!

So questions:

1. Is it normal for Lite-On drives to slow way down (about 1/2 the initial speed) as they are ejecting?

Thanks! [/B]

This is normal for the LiteOn’s.

Yes, it’s normal…mine does it too

[B]…
2) Is it safe, and if so, where would I place a little oil to loosen things up?

Thanks! [/B]

I dont think you should (in any case) lubricate the moving parts of your drive with petrochemical products.!
:cool:

Yep, mine does it to, seems to be the norm, just a damper action.

It’s a feature of the firmware to protect the gears in the drive.

All my LiteON burners do that, but my 411S is the opposite. It accelerates all the way out and is considerably faster than the cdrw’s… Is it just me? :slight_smile:

my 401s accelerates out all the way!

my XJ-HD166s accelerates till 75-90% out

LTR-52246s just seems like it DIES! at half way out!

i had it out for about a month, cause i had no ide for it and when i got a motherbaord with enough raid IDe to put all the HD on and then the cdr and dvdr and dvdrom all on the main ide, and the CDRW SEEMS LIKE ITS SO SLOW TO COME OUT! i do not remember it like that but it must have been!

[B]Hi Folks,

So questions:

Thanks! [/B]

It’s normal. 2 out of 3 of my Lite-Ons do it that way.
:bigsmile:

Sweet!

Thanks for all the replies, you’ve put my mind at ease!

Saved me a fortune having to send it back to the supplier for no reason at all!

Cdfreaks win again! :slight_smile:

(PS. Burnt about 15 disks so far, all Ritek 04 admittly, and no coasters. What a great drive!)

Just burned my first DVD last night on the DVD+RW that comes with the drive…played like a charm in my AKAI DVD-player. Also burned my first CD (Preacher’s Son by Wyclef) without any problems. I’m really starting to like this drive! The only problem is the speed, but that’s probably because i put it in a P3 450Mhz :slight_smile: Guess it can’t handle the speed of this drive.
Greetz,
BigSteve