Lite-On LDW-451S ruining every other DVD

This appears to be quite bizzare to me… but it seems like every other DVD (not always) is comes out bad… The bad ones will read “Bad cyclic error” and will skip and lock up on my computer as well as in both of my DVD players. Here’s the kicker, I can run a KProbe2 scan on a bad disc and it shows 0 errors… But the computer usually turns up a bad cyclic error when it gets to a part on the dvd it can’t read and my DVD players just read “Disc error” … Am I not using KProbe2 properly or something?

Here’s the results from the test.

Jay

Well, the PIF should not be above 4, you have got 200, which means the disk is unreadable, as you already know. Just get better media, Princo is crap.
Also scan at 4x next time, but in this case it does not really matter.

@ Diversion
You are using Kprobe correctly, except for the scan speed. Please redo your Kprobe scans at 4X scan speed, the forum standard for comparison. You can read Interpreting PI/PO error scans to find out what these graphs mean. PI/PO is now referred to as PI/PIF. Roughly, PImax<280; PIFmax<4. That means your disc probably will have trouble being read if it shows many PIFs over 4 when scanned at 4x scan speed. A disc can be bad and have no ‘errors’ recorded under that heading.
Princo media is known as very poor quality media :Z . I think that is the source of your problem. Try a forum search for Princo and you will get tons of bad reports. Try some better media. You can read around here to find what media is available in your area that will give you good results. My personal favorite is Fujifilm-branded 8x+R Made-In-Japan YUDEN000T02. They are also available under several other brand names.

You can also flash your drive with special SOHW-832S firmware, which may give you better results and expand the drives capabilities, but will void your warranty(which is probably gone anyway by now). Many around here, including myself, have done the cross-flash with great results, thanks to the C0deGuys :iagree:

What is better media I should look for when I go back to the store? The local CompUSA store has a plethora of different brands… I just always grabbed “store labeled” brand because it’s a hella lot cheaper than the rest… I guess when it comes to DVDs you can’t just buy the cheapest around like you can with CDRs (where I never have any burn errors).

Jay

@ Diversion
Reading posts in this forum for what is good media works. The MIJ TY’s (they MUST say ‘Made In Japan’ by the UPC symbol to be the good ones) I mentioned go on sale at Best Buy at least once a month for $0.40/disc in 25, 50 or 100pc. spindles. You can also check out the CD Freaks Bargain Basement forum for whats on sale…great deals can be had online. VideoHelp.com is where I like to go to see what MIDs are sold under what brand name.

Sweet, thanks for the info and help! I unfortunately bought a 50 pack of 8X CompUSA brand… it’s not Princo this time around, and it’s burning a lot better according to my KProbe reports… On another note, I have a movie that shows 100+ PIFs but never skips once in my DVD player… what’s this usually mean?

Jay