Lite On LDW-411S - Simple Question :-)

I don’t have a DVD burner at the moment, I want one :wink:

This seems to fit my criteria : Cheap, Compatible, Reasonably Fast. I’ve noticed some people all over the net complaing about certain aspects of this drive, basically I will be burning movie, ps2 and x-box backups, I’ve been advised to use this media :

DATASAFE RITEK 1x-4x 4.7GB
Traxdata 4X DVD-R

Thats not a problem (whilst they aren’t the cheapest, I won’t be burning huge amounts of DVDr’s anyway).

So, the simple question is : Should I buy this drive?

Are there any MAJOR problems with it? I’ll probably be using - discs a LOT more than +

Thank you in advance if anyone can help me, I’m sorry if I missed a question like this in the forum but I did look and a lot of it is greek to me since I’m new to DVD-Burning.

Thanks again.

J.

Or should I pay £10 more and get the pioneer 106? It seems the only real difference is the CD burning speed? I’d be able to buy a wider range of media too wouldn’t I?

J.

First: Welcome to the forum!
Jebus F quote: “I’ll probably be using - discs a LOT more than +”
If you are going to purchase the drive now, I would chose the Pioneer 106, considering that your primary burning will be the
R(W)- format. Hopefully LiteOn will release a bios upgrade for the LDW-411S for which they will post, in their usually insightful way, “match more media.”
Jebus F quote: “basically I will be burning movie, ps2 and x-box backups.” I have no idea about ps2 and x-box backups, but either drive should be fine for the movie backups. This is just one opinion, get others!

Thanks for the welcome :slight_smile:

Why dyou say the pioneer in relation to using R- discs? I thought that it did both + and - at the same speed? (4x) :S

And yeah, more opinions quick quick hehe, thanks :slight_smile:

I am interested in this thread too…

There are better DVD burners out there; Pioneer 106 and the Nec 1300A with great support. The Nec can be had for less than the Liteon and as stated the Pioneer is £99 The Pioneer and Nec both support + and -

Jebus F quote: “Why dyou say the pioneer in relation to using R- discs? I thought that it did both + and - at the same speed? (4x) :S”

I am not sure that I understand your question, writing speed has nothing to do with it. I think the LDW-411S is actually faster in some respects, (4X+RW vs. 2.4+RW) for example, than the Pioneer 106. I believe the Pioneer 106 has superior DVD-R writing capabilities compared LDW-411S. A firmware upgrade on the LDW-411S could conceivably change this. This was in response to your statement “I’ll probably be using - discs a LOT more than +”

Thanks again, I see what you mean now. At the mo I’m thinking I’ll go with the pioneer 106, and keep my 48x CD-Writer in with it, rather than as I was going to do, leave the DVD-ROM in and have the DVD-RW with it.

How long do we think it’ll take for the firmware to be out anyway?

@Jebus F,

I’ve just bought the 411s, wish I had gone for the Pioneer.

Maybe when the firmware gets released I’ll change my mind.

Odia.

pionner till liteon gets off their butts and figures out wtf is wrong with the firmware and fixes it.

Odia : Ok cool, but why precicely do you say that?

Thing is, if I buy the pioneer NOW, am I gonna regret it when the new firmware comes out, cos I want a burner NOW, how quick is it likely to have its problems sorted? Should I wait really? Argh, decisions, I know its only £100 but thats a lot to me right now :S

Anyone got any experience with burning ps2 or dvdr movies with the pioneer, would Datawrite 4x DVD-R reds be ok?

Jebus F quote: “How long do we think it’ll take for the firmware to be out anyway?”
Answer: I have no idea. You can look on LiteOn’s forum, but I don’t think it will help.

Originally posted by Jebus F
Odia : Ok cool, but why precicely do you say that?

I cannot get any DVD disc which has been burnt to read in anything apart from the writer, so for your use, I would not recommend it.

… and it does pain me not to say Lite-on drivers are good IMHO

Odia.

Yes, for now stick to + media for the LDW-411S.

Or get the pioneer DVR-106, the media support and write quality is simply outstanding with this drive.

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]Yes, for now stick to + media for the LDW-411S.

Or get the pioneer DVR-106, the media support and write quality is simply outstanding with this drive. [/B]

Outstanding with both of the formats ( -R +R )? Or it has inferior quality when burning +R format?

P.S sorry for my english :confused: