Lite-On LDW-411S Or Pioneer DVR-106?

Ok I’m getting ready to buy my first DVD burner and I’m looking between the two of these which ones to buy. Either the Lite-On LDW-411S or the Pioneer DVR-106 drive? My friend just bought the Lite-On and so far it seems very nice but I’ve heard allot about the Pioneer DVR-106 driver, I’m wondering if I should buy that instead. The Pro’s and Con’s of each oh and I’m also planning on buying a new console dvd player. My old 5 disc Sony won’t play dvd-r discs, only VCD and original DVD movies so I’m looking for something there as well. Thanx in advance for your help!

What’s your budgetary limitations in those areas,it can be better figured out that way…:cool:

Don’t assume your old Sony won’t play them till you try.
I also think it’s a toss-up as far as DVD burning goes, although the LiteOn is faster on most RW media.
LiteOn also has superior CDR/RW burning speed, so if you need to use it for that, the choice is clear.

RD,unless I’m reading incorrectly,the poster said their 5 year old Sony won’t
play DVD-r,so it would be safe to assume
they tried…that sounds like investigated information to me… :cool:

Originally posted by Ruffrob
What’s your budgetary limitations in those areas,it can be better figured out that way…:cool:

Well it’s about $130 or so and both burners fit into that category…well the Pioneer one is…OEM version anyway.

Originally posted by Ruffrob
RD,unless I’m reading incorrectly,the poster said their 5 year old Sony won’t
play DVD-r,so it would be safe to assume
they tried…that sounds like investigated information to me… :cool:

Yes that’s right DVD-R won’t play on my old Sony 5 disc dvd player. To show you how old this thing is it’s a Sony DVP-C600D and the only special audio feature that it will do is Dolby Digital. I’ve been doing some thinking and I’ve decided to wait at least a year when the players are cheaper and faster. I think I’ll actually wait until 16x burners come out because then it only takes about 6.5 minutes to burn at that speed and that’s not bad at all. I’ll ask again what’s the best at that time and since dvd burners are finally beginning to take off it probably won’t be more than a year anyway. I am however going to go ahead and get a new console player.

I’ve been doing some thinking and I’ve decided to wait at least a year when the players are cheaper and faster

How much more of a price reduction do you need. Most reasonable players nowadays can play DVD-R,and cost around $100,and can be obtained from most major retailers (BestBuy,CompUSA,PC Richard,WalMart,CircuitCity),and the brands are also well known (Sony,Pioneer)

Going lower than that price point i found will only initiate repeat buying. While most
think brands like APEX are good,and are usually dirt cheap,remember the old adage you get what you pay for…Good Luck :cool:

Originally posted by Bowen
Yes that’s right DVD-R won’t play on my old Sony 5 disc dvd player. To show you how old this thing is it’s a Sony DVP-C600D and the only special audio feature that it will do is Dolby Digital.

Unless those people who posted their experience were lying or delusional, the Sony DVP-C600D seemed to be able to handle some DVD-Recordable format, like most other older DVD players:

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDnameid=408&Search=Search&#comments

Unless those people who posted their experience were lying or delusional, the Sony DVP-C600D seemed to be able to handle some DVD-Recordable format, like most other older DVD players:

You are so right,Synergy,my older Sony DVPS300 plays -R just fine,but don’t ask it
to do +R,it’s like asking night not to fall…

Have any of you tried DVD+R with the book value set to DVD-ROM? This plays in a friends Sony that is even more anchient than my Toshiba that I bought about 1999…