Lite-On LDW-411S Or LG GSA-4040B

I picked up the LG drive but can still exchange it if there is a better drive, the LG does DVD-RAM but doesn’t do CD+G and
the LiteOn does CD+G but not DVD-RAM.
The review at this site says the LiteOn is better but someone told
me that DVD-RAM might become the standard (opinions?).

Of these two drives which would you users recommend?

Thanks
Steinar

Also is Mt Ranier meaningful or not a necessity?

Originally posted by VikingDNA
[B]I picked up the LG drive but can still exchange it if there is a better drive, the LG does DVD-RAM but doesn’t do CD+G and
the LiteOn does CD+G but not DVD-RAM.
The review at this site says the LiteOn is better but someone told
me that DVD-RAM might become the standard (opinions?).

Of these two drives which would you users recommend?

Thanks
Steinar [/B]

dvd-ram is going nowhere. It all depends on whether you favour its advantages (the ability to just drag and drop files to a disc in the OS like a HD or floppy with no extra software). DVD-RAM discs are also very expensive.

Mt Rainier: I’d really like to say something about this by this stage of its hype, but I believe it still offers us zero now.

Originally posted by VikingDNA
[B]I picked up the LG drive but can still exchange it if there is a better drive, the LG does DVD-RAM but doesn’t do CD+G and
the LiteOn does CD+G but not DVD-RAM.
The review at this site says the LiteOn is better but someone told
me that DVD-RAM might become the standard (opinions?).

Of these two drives which would you users recommend?

Thanks
Steinar [/B]

Both are somewhat good, currently and compared to the price/performance ratio.
Not perfect at all, of course. I think it’s a personal preference which one to buy - not a mere technical.

:smiley: I returned my BTC-1004IM and bought me the LDW-411S - no probs since then

Do you think one of these drives has a advantage for
making software or dvd backups?

Sid

Originally posted by cynicalbastard
[B]dvd-ram is going nowhere. It all depends on whether you favour its advantages (the ability to just drag and drop files to a disc in the OS like a HD or floppy with no extra software). DVD-RAM discs are also very expensive.

Mt Rainier: I’d really like to say something about this by this stage of its hype, but I believe it still offers us zero now. [/B]

Thanks GoFuYo, I appreciate your input…

Steinar

Originally posted by GoFuYo
[B]Both are somewhat good, currently and compared to the price/performance ratio.
Not perfect at all, of course. I think it’s a personal preference which one to buy - not a mere technical.

:smiley: I returned my BTC-1004IM and bought me the LDW-411S - no probs since then [/B]

I wish I live in USA :wink:

They already got Nec ND-2500a DVD±RW for sale there

http://castle.pricewatch.com/search/search.idq?qc=“NEC”+AND+“ND”+AND+“2500A”*&cr=nec+nd+2500a

write DVD-R: 8x (max. 11,040 Kbyte/s)
DVD-RW: 4x (max. 5,520 Kbyte/s)
DVD+R: 8x (max. 11,040 Kbyte/s)
DVD+RW: 4x (max. 5,520 Kbyte/s)
CD-R: 32x (max. 4,800 Kbyte/s)
CD-RW: 16x (max. 2,400 Kbyte/s)

Access time DVD: 140 ms
CD: 120 ms
Memory: 2 Mbytes
Interface: ATAPI Ultra DMA 33 mode 2
PIO mode: Mode 4

DVD-RAM has been a standard for a while, in particular for data backups. I think this may in part or whole be due to it doing a verify after write. It is also much more reliable/long lasting, if used with the cartridges.

I’m led to believe that it is also much better for working directly with video editing, unlike +_RW discs. Check out some of the forums that talk about video recoding, such as AVSForum for people who have great opinions of DVD-RAM. As this is the main reason for me to get a DVD burner, it somewhat limits my options.

Other than that, I don’t see the world of DVD-RAM being at the forfront anymore.

Given the seeming difficulties in matching media with drives, and finding/using high quality media, any savings up front will be quickly eaten up by disc costs.

Thanks, I think I may have decided to exchange the 4040B for
the 411S - 451S or 811S based on the review of the 411S on
this site…

Thanks

Originally posted by GoAheadMkMyDay
[B]DVD-RAM has been a standard for a while, in particular for data backups. I think this may in part or whole be due to it doing a verify after write. It is also much more reliable/long lasting, if used with the cartridges.

I’m led to believe that it is also much better for working directly with video editing, unlike +_RW discs. Check out some of the forums that talk about video recoding, such as AVSForum for people who have great opinions of DVD-RAM. As this is the main reason for me to get a DVD burner, it somewhat limits my options.

Other than that, I don’t see the world of DVD-RAM being at the forfront anymore.

Given the seeming difficulties in matching media with drives, and finding/using high quality media, any savings up front will be quickly eaten up by disc costs. [/B]

Thanks for the inputs, Costco brought in the Plextor
PX-708A on my last visit so that is what I settled on.

Steinar

Originally posted by VikingDNA
[B]Thanks, I think I may have decided to exchange the 4040B for
the 411S - 451S or 811S based on the review of the 411S on
this site…

Thanks [/B]