Lite-On LDW-401s problem after format

Hello all, this is my first post here, but I did quite a bit of searching on the forum to try to find my solution.

I’m running Windows XP, SP2. I have a Lite-On LDW-401s DVD+R/CDRW drive that has been installed for about a year. I recently had to format my computer and start anew. The drive will burn fine using programs, such as Nero, Easy CD, DVD X-Copy… but when I insert blank media windows won’t let me open a writeable CD window. The Icon changes to say CD-R, but doesn’t let me open it. If I double-click the icon it says: "Please insert a disc into drive G:)

I remember having to install updated drivers or a patch when I first got the drive last christmas. I can’t for the life of me remember what it is I need to install, and I’ve searched everywhere.

I have installed the software from both CDs that were included with the drive, as well as updated the firmware to the latest version (M).

What am I forgetting? Thanks.

Hey hyunelan2.

Do you have ASPI 4.60 installed? Do you have your drive set to DMA?

Mark

1/ Download this file: http://clonecd.gearhost.net/clonecd/forceASPI17.zip
2/ Unzip it onto you Hard drive in a folder call ForceASPI
3/ Open the folder ForceASPI
4/ Run KILLASPI.BAT
5/ Reboot
6/ Open the folder ForceASPI
7/ Run INSTASPI.BAT
8/ Reboot

Hope this helps…
Mark

Thanks Sportfish. I’ll be installing that when I get home tonight and we’ll see if that does the trick. I’ll also double check the DMA, but I’m pretty sure it’s on.

Thanks again.

Ok, all of the above fixed my previous problems. I ended up being frusterated with that slow computer and built a new one (Athlon 64 3000+, Epox 8KDA3J -nforce 250GB, 512 PC3200, yadayada). I can successfully burn CDs and DVDs with programs (Nero, EasyCD, DVD X-Copy), and can burn CDs with the windows integrated burning software.

However, when I insert a blank DVD, windows does not recognize it as being in the drive. I know on my old system it would open an explorer window, as it does when you insert a blank CD. I’m using the same media as before, and have the drive in the same configuration (secondary master). I have installed ASPI and the drive is running on DMA, not PIO. I know a lot of people hate it, but I gasp like the integrated burning for archiving files onto disc.

I expect the problem is with windows (XP PRO - SP2), but does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Does Nero info tool detect it???

Yes, Nero Infotool successfully detected the Blank DVD in the drive. Windows Explorer still has no idea though.

Hey hyunenlan2…

Is it media player thats not seeing it? If so dump it and re-install it if you must use it. Other wise I would just dump it and forget it. I don’t use it at all and if you have Nero (like I do) you don’t need the crap. Good luck.

Mark

Forgetting about it is just about my only option. I still have DVD writing functionality with Nero/Roxio, so it’s not like I’m screwed. I just liked being able to click the “Write files to…” link in the explorer window and instantly have the files shot over to DVD. Not that I need to use this that often even. I guess I’ll just stick to NERO. I just get bothered when things don’t work as they should/used to.

One word of advise. Nero doesn’t mix real well with Roxio.

I still have DVD writing functionality with Nero/Roxio, so it’s not like I’m screwed. I just liked being able to click the “Write files to…” link in the explorer window and instantly have the files shot over to DVD.

Hey hyunelan2…
I maybe halucinating on the medication I’m on from my back surgery, but I don’t believe that I was EVER able to click and burn files in windows and burn direct to DVD. CD’s you can but I’ve always had to use a burning program (ie. Nero) for DVD’s. I’m pretty sure that this is the way Windows works.

Mark

I have the same dvd-rw (ldw-401s) and I can’t play any dvds on it. I just bought it from a guy my mom work with and he didn’t give me any info on it. where can I get the programs that normally come with it and how do I get it to read dvds because it reads and plays cds just fine.

thanx

Get a free demo copy of Nero. It last 30 days and has almost 100% functionality. Go into system tools and see what it says the drive is. Lets make sure you have a DVD burner and not just a CD burner. Also check if your set to DMA in device mgr.

Mark