Lite-On IT Roadmap 2004

Dual Layer and 16x coming…

Do NOT link file directly. Just link this page.

Source: Link

OMG sweet! I should have waited instead of getting 4x single layer :bigsmile: Ahhh well when they come down in price.

That is really cool that it’s that close!

Yea! Very impressive picture. But still not sure that media producers will cope with such rapid progress.

Originally posted by Afad
Yea! Very impressive picture. But still not sure that media producers will cope with such rapid progress.

I’m sure…sure that they won’t.

Originally posted by Afad

The largest media manufacturers are all very poor and inexperienced compared to the top drive manufacturers we know.

Drive Manufacturers:

LG, Samsung, Lite-On IT, NEC, Pioneer, Sony, Toshiba, Asus, BenQ, BTC, Quanta Storage, MSI, Matsushita

Media Manufacturers:

Ritek, Taiyo Yuden, CMC Magnetics, Prodisc, Princo, Infodisc, BeAll, SKC, Lead Data, Gigastorage, Mitsubishi Chemical, Nanya

BeAll is funded by Samsung group, SKC by SK group, Mitsubishi Chemical and Verbatim by Mitsubishi group, and Nanya is also part of one of the largest Taiwanese industrial conglomerates but each of them produces relatively insignificant amount of CD and DVD media.

It takes usually three more months for Ritek, CMC, and Prodisc to imitate what Mitsubishi, Ricoh, and Pioneer have first developed and it takes three more months for Princo, Gigastorage, Nanya, and other smaller makers to start shipping.

That means still most of us are going to find some reasonably inexpensive DVD Dual-Layer media in 3Q or 4Q this year, or even in 2005.

YaY!:eek:

16X dual format in Q2!!

And dual layer in Q2 as well.

Way earlier than I expected.

More YaY!

But it seems like mitsubishi and pioneer may be the only dual layer disc manufacturers at that time?

8X single layer discs is hardly available…

By the way, I am not sure this roadmap was officially released by Lite-On IT. I think it was leaked somehow by a South Korean Lite-On IT distributor in which case this better not be published on a public news site. :wink:

The roadmap seems two months old.

Let’s not forget that the 411S was released 9 months late, and it’s not working right. Those dates are the sort of thing that top management will cook up, and all the folks in the testing and R&D labs are laughing there arses off.

Originally posted by Kenshin
The roadmap seems two months old.
You can read the text in the lower left corner of that picture, wow! :stuck_out_tongue:

Cool! Thx for the sneak peek and the breakdown on the supported media manufacturing timeframes Kenshin!
Now let’s see what actually happens… :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Let’s not forget that the 411S was released 9 months late, and it’s not working right. Those dates are the sort of thing that top management will cook up, and all the folks in the testing and R&D labs are laughing there arses off.

That seems to happen a lot.
cough Athlon 64 cough year late cough

:wink:

not that this counts for much but I was read something somewhere, can’t realy remember where but Phillips apparently have the technology very close to ready to go in the form of a new dual layer burner unit but the really interesting one was Pioneer who commented that dual layer burning would require a significant firmware update…(is this to existing drives?)…now if i’m reading this correctly, could it be that a firmware update would allow us, Liteon users - assuming Liteon takes this route, to burn dual layer disks as the writers are more than capable of reading it at present…!!!

Originally posted by thehulk
not that this counts for much but I was read something somewhere, can’t realy remember where but Phillips apparently have the technology very close to ready to go in the form of a new dual layer burner unit but the really interesting one was Pioneer who commented that dual layer burning would require a significant firmware update…(is this to existing drives?)…now if i’m reading this correctly, could it be that a firmware update would allow us, Liteon users - assuming Liteon takes this route, to burn dual layer disks as the writers are more than capable of reading it at present…!!!

Yes, Pioneer has a firmware modified 106 / A06 that is writing dual layer as we speak :bigsmile:

Pioneer DVR-A06 can write to dual-layer 8.5GB media

so, based on this info, do you Ssseth, in your infinite wisdom, believe that this will be possible with our Liteons…or my 411S…???

Accroding to the chart, a number of the drives will be available with SATA interfaces. I have an unused SATA connection on my MOBO. Is there any advantage to an SATA DVD-burner?

Is there any advantage to an SATA DVD-burner?

No, but there are a few advantages to the SATA interface, depending on whether it’s a PCI controller or a chipset controller. They don’t have some of the idiosyncracies that IDE has, like freezing up when another drive on the channel is busy.
But the drive itself will perform the same.

Originally posted by thehulk
so, based on this info, do you Ssseth, in your infinite wisdom, believe that this will be possible with our Liteons…or my 411S…???

No clue really.

It might be possible, but LiteOn would not endorse it of course. The dual layer market (money) will be too tempting for them to just give away the technology to it’s 411/451/811/851 users imho.

If will take some damn smart/dedicated member of this community to modify the f/w so that it worked.
Either way we’re still looking at a coulpe months before it’s worth talking about more.

Originally posted by Modred
Accroding to the chart, a number of the drives will be available with SATA interfaces. I have an unused SATA connection on my MOBO. Is there any advantage to an SATA DVD-burner?
Yes. With SATA you have a number of big advantages over ordinary ATA. You have a fast dependable channel that does not share a data stream with any other device.

Plus the cables are small (thin) so they look much better in a case with a window in it! Oooooo ahhhhhhh!
[/bad joke]

Originally posted by Maul
Yes. With SATA you have a number of big advantages over ordinary ATA. You have a fast dependable channel that does not share a data stream with any other device.

Plus the SATA interface starts at 150MB/s which means that it can’t reliably sit on the PCI interface, and is hence has been moved into the memory interface, instead of sitting on the congested PCI bus.

Just think, 4 ports, 600MB/s of raw bandwidth :slight_smile:
Woot!