Lite-On iHDP118

vbimport

I found that drive in a store at a nice price (€13 :eek:)

ImgBurn identifies it as

ATAPI iHDP118 4 GL05 (ATA)

It is an IDE drive that I got to verify discs after burn, hoping also that it was nice to have a 18x drive (even if IDE probably is too slow to rip at 18x :p).

No firmware is available for this drive at Lite-On website (actually this drive is not listed at all :doh:)

btw, I got this result… I’m almost certain that firmware is locked…

DMA is enabled, and burst rate is 25 MB/s.

It simply makes no sense to sell a 18x drive with a locked firmware :doh:

Any suggestions about how to unlock the drive? :slight_smile:

It is ugly also with DL discs :doh:

I tried all available tools, but nothing worked. It seems that this drive is not recognized at all :doh:

This drive is definitely a scam :Z

I have the same drive, but my firmware is GL04, and I have done a speed test and have 2 images below, the first you will see is from a normal CD audio disc, the second is from a Datawrite Dual Layer disc with 7.84 worth of data. I did try doing a dual layer film, but it stopped after about 5 minutes with a message about something it couldn’t read due to it being entangled or something, strange thing is I thought that came up because the DVD was copy protected, but it doesn’t say so on the cover, surely a DL DVD movie would let a drive read it especially NERO for a test, no?

I may try the same movie on my Samsung writer to see if that same error appears, if it doesn’t then it’s the Liteon drive!

Anyway here are the images, and I would like to point out that my speed test of the DL disc is similar to yours.

What are your thoughts on my speed tests, as I only inserted this drive yesterday. I wonder why this drive isn’t on the Liteon website?

This one below is the DL disc speed test.

[QUOTE=geno888;2534385]
No firmware is available for this drive at Lite-On website (actually this drive is not listed at all :doh:)[/QUOTE]

It’s listed here
http://us.liteonit.com/us/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=153

[QUOTE=geno888;2534385]
It simply makes no sense to sell a 18x drive with a locked firmware :doh:[/QUOTE]

How can you tell that the firmware is locked?

I know this is a liteon thread, but I need to post this one to show the difference between the Lite-On I have and my current Samsung writer and to ask the question as to why does the speed always dip at that middle line which I imagine is the DL cut off point?

[QUOTE=cherrybox;2561636]It’s listed here
http://us.liteonit.com/us/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=153

How can you tell that the firmware is locked?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. At the time when I posted this thread, the drive was not listed at all. Maybe it was introduced later.

However, even if drive is listed, selecting it from the list it gives me an error, so I can’t download a newer firmware. Can you provide a direct download link? :slight_smile:

I’m saying that firmware is locked because with my drive I can’t read burned discs at full speed.

[QUOTE=geno888;2561718]
Can you provide a direct download link? :)[/QUOTE]

I don’t even see a download link to the firmware you have which is GL05, as I have GL04, I don’t know what difference I would notice if I were to update the drives firmware from GL04 to GL05, was that the firmware when you bought that drive can I ask?

[QUOTE=geno888;2561718]

I’m saying that firmware is locked because with my drive I can’t read burned discs at full speed.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried testing a normal audio CD to see what speed it reads at? see if it is similar to the one I performed in my image.

I uploaded GL06 earlier.

http://www.firmwarehq.com/Lite-On/iHDP118%2B4/files.html

[QUOTE=LIGHTNING UK!;2561779]I uploaded GL06 earlier.

http://www.firmwarehq.com/Lite-On/iHDP118%2B4/files.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that.

Can you let us know if you see any difference after doing the upgrade?

Also as everyone’s system is so different to each others can you say if all that is needed is to double click on that exe file after it has downloaded and let it do the rest itself, is that all you needed to do?

Like I say, can you do some tests and tell us if the speed is better and in which area.

I forgot to say why isn’t this firmware update not on the Lite-On web site do you think? I take it that it is an official firmware?

Thanking you.

I don’t have the drive, I just got the firmware for you and put it up on Firmware HQ. Yes it’s official - same file smartpack downloads. The website often falls behind what’s available via smartpack.

Yes, it’s an exe so you just run it and follow the instructions. Flashing a drive isn’t normally rocket science :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=LIGHTNING UK!;2561847]I don’t have the drive, I just got the firmware for you and put it up on Firmware HQ. Yes it’s official - same file smartpack downloads. The website often falls behind what’s available via smartpack.

Yes, it’s an exe so you just run it and follow the instructions. Flashing a drive isn’t normally rocket science :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks, is there anywhere that mentions what this firmware does as opposed to the previous firmware updates? thought maybe somewhere it would mention this just like bug fixes.

Nope, LiteOn doesn’t really do that.

If you’ve backed up your current firmware, what’s the hold up with you just flashing it?!

If it does something you don’t like, flash back. You’ve nothing to lose by trying.

[QUOTE=LIGHTNING UK!;2561847]I don’t have the drive, I just got the firmware for you and put it up on Firmware HQ. Yes it’s official - same file smartpack downloads. The website often falls behind what’s available via smartpack.

Yes, it’s an exe so you just run it and follow the instructions. Flashing a drive isn’t normally rocket science :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=LIGHTNING UK!;2561861]Nope, LiteOn doesn’t really do that.

If you’ve backed up your current firmware, what’s the hold up with you just flashing it?!

If it does something you don’t like, flash back. You’ve nothing to lose by trying.[/QUOTE]

I was always under the impression that once you flashed the drive there was no going back.

When you say back up the firmware how do I do that as the firmware that is currently on the drive was on there when I purchased it.

Using C0deKing’s Flash Utility. You can backup the firmware and the EEPROM (using the EEPROM tool).

It has its own thread at the top of this forum (one of the ‘Read First’ topics).

I tried Flash utility, but I’m not sure that this specific drive is supported (it wasn’t at the time I posted this thread).

Thanks for posting the firmware LUK :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2561884]I tried Flash utility, but I’m not sure that this specific drive is supported (it wasn’t at the time I posted this thread).[/QUOTE]

Totally confused. :confused: please explain.

I tried to extract original firmware from my drive with the Flash utility, but it didn’t work at that time. Maybe there is a new version, but I don’t have the drive off hand right now, so I can’t run a test :doh: