Lite-On iHBS112-29 Firmware

vbimport

Greetings.

A few Lite-On iHBS112-29 are available on Amazon/ebay. Can anyone advise if these are 1st generation units or if they could be flashed to CL0K firmware?

Many thanks and best regards.

The iHBS112-29 comes with CL0K firmware.

Since these units are no longer in production, is there a way to test if the scanning quality is up to par? Would scanning a commercially pressed BD reveal any flaw in unit?

Is there a need to clean the drive? If so, how does one go about doing it?

Thank you.

Scanning a commercially pressed disc isn’t going to reveal any flaw since there’s no guarantee how good a pressed disc is. The best advice is to scan a few burns and see how they compare to what others have posted.

1st generation units were good and reliable drives/scanners, so there’s nothing to fear really. Since its a 1st generation drive, you can scan discs without any hassle or ODC tricks, which is rather nice.

Regarding firmware, CL0K is very old now, for better burning results I would recommend updating your drive to the latest second generation PL06 firmware. It won’t negatively affect the scanning abilities of the drive.

Thanks for the reply, Stereodude.

[QUOTE=cvs;2701869]1st generation units were good and reliable drives/scanners, so there’s nothing to fear really. Since its a 1st generation drive, you can scan discs without any hassle or ODC tricks, which is rather nice.

Regarding firmware, CL0K is very old now, for better burning results I would recommend updating your drive to the latest second generation PL06 firmware. It won’t negatively affect the scanning abilities of the drive.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply, cvs.

1. Does the 112-29 flashed with PLxx suffer from the ODC glitch?

2. Has anyone tried and successfully (or failed) re-flashed a 112-29 /Plxx back to CLxx?

3. Is the Plextor PX-B950SA a 112 rebadge? Is it a 2nd generation drive and therefore suffer from the ODC glitch?

4. What’s the difference between the B950SA and LB950SA?

5. Does the PlexUtilities offer better consistency in BD scanning, especially for dual layer media?

6. Can the 112-29 be cross flashed to a LB950SA or B950SA? What are the tools/files required?

[QUOTE=mariner8611;2701979]Thanks for the reply, cvs.

1. Does the 112-29 flashed with PLxx suffer from the ODC glitch?

2. Has anyone tried and successfully (or failed) re-flashed a 112-29 /Plxx back to CLxx?

3. Is the Plextor PX-B950SA a 112 rebadge? Is it a 2nd generation drive and therefore suffer from the ODC glitch?

4. What’s the difference between the B950SA and LB950SA?

5. Does the PlexUtilities offer better consistency in BD scanning, especially for dual layer media?

6. Can the 112-29 be cross flashed to a LB950SA or B950SA? What are the tools/files required?

Many thanks and best regards.[/QUOTE]

1. No.

2. Second generation drives cannot be flashed with 1st generation firmwares such as CL0K, but a 1st generation drive which was flashed to a 2nd generation firmware will allow you to go back to a 1st generation firmware (using the unlocked flasher method).

3. Yes it is. The PX-B950SA is most likely a 2nd generation drive and all 2nd generation drives need the speed adjusting trick to work with ODC. PX-LB950SA exist in both 1st and 2nd generation flavours, depending on their manufacturing date.

4. PX-LB950SA is the equivalent of iHBS212, so it is basically an iHBS112 with some extra Lightscribe hardware.

5. I don’t use Plextools much, but I doubt it. I prefer to use ODC, since most scans out there are ODC ones and hence it is much easier to compare my scans with the scans published by others.

6. Yes it is possible, but doing so requires manually modding your EEPROM, because the EEPROM Utility’s Convert Drive function will not work once you flash a 2nd generation firmware on it. You also need an unscrambled firmware (*.bin file) for the model you want to crossflash to (PX-B950SA in your case) and an unlocked flasher of course.

Make sure that you backup your EEPROM before doing anything, and keep it safe.

Could you explain… What are the hardware differences between 1st and 2nd generation iHBS112/212? Why 2nd generation drives suffer from ODC bug while 1st generation drives don’t?

It will be interesting for me to see some high quality photos of 1st generation iHBS112/212 - especially both sides of mainboard and laser pickup…

[QUOTE=blackened2687;2702006]Could you explain… What are the hardware differences between 1st and 2nd generation iHBS112/212? Why 2nd generation drives suffer from ODC bug while 1st generation drives don’t?

It will be interesting for me to see some high quality photos of 1st generation iHBS112/212 - especially both sides of mainboard and laser pickup…[/QUOTE]

Nobody has spotted any hardware differences between the two. It is probably a software related change (at bootcode level perhaps) rather than a hardware change, but to my knowledge, nobody has so far been able to give a definitive explanation for the whole thing. Whatever it is, it is clearly a small change though, since regardless of this, all 1st generation drives work perfectly well with 2nd generation firmwares.

Whatever the change might be, it somehow affects ODC which seems to fail to properly initialise the scan without the speed selection trick on 2nd generation drives, while it works OK on 1st generation drives even if they are flashed with a 2nd generation firmware.

Hmmm… It’s very interesting thing… What exactly happens when somebody is trying to flash 1st generation firmware to 2nd generation drive?

[QUOTE=cvs;2701993]1. No.

1. Second generation drives cannot be flashed with 1st generation firmwares such as CL0K, but a 1st generation drive which was flashed to a 2nd generation firmware will allow you to go back to a 1st generation firmware (using the unlocked flasher method).

2. Yes it is. The PX-B950SA is most likely a 2nd generation drive and all 2nd generation drives need the speed adjusting trick to work with ODC. PX-LB950SA exist in both 1st and 2nd generation flavours, depending on their manufacturing date.

3. PX-LB950SA is the equivalent of iHBS212, so it is basically an iHBS112 with some extra Lightscribe hardware.

4. I don’t use Plextools much, but I doubt it. I prefer to use ODC, since most scans out there are ODC ones and hence it is much easier to compare my scans with the scans published by others.

5. Yes it is possible, but doing so requires manually modding your EEPROM, because the EEPROM Utility’s Convert Drive function will not work once you flash a 2nd generation firmware on it. You also need an unscrambled firmware (*.bin file) for the model you want to crossflash to (PX-B950SA in your case) and an unlocked flasher of course.

Make sure that you backup your EEPROM before doing anything, and keep it safe.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply, cvs.

1. So AL18.exe and CL0K.bin should return the drive to 1st generation after flashing with PL06?

2. Can the 112-29 be flashed to LB950SA using files you posted here?

1. Should the 1st gen 1.06.bin firmware be used?

2. How does one perform EEPROM conversation?

3. There appears to be a newer 1.04 firmware (2nd gen?). Again, is it possible to return to 1129-29/CL0K after flashing with this?

4. If flashing to LB950SA is not possible, are there files available for B950SA? The ones posted by zmmr942 appears to be gone.

[QUOTE=blackened2687;2702016]Hmmm… It’s very interesting thing… What exactly happens when somebody is trying to flash 1st generation firmware to 2nd generation drive?[/QUOTE]

I believe the drive rejects the firmware and refuses to flash itself.

[QUOTE=mariner8611;2702018]Thanks for the reply, cvs.

1. So AL18.exe and CL0K.bin should return the drive to 1st generation after flashing with PL06?

2. Can the 112-29 be flashed to LB950SA using files you posted here?

1. Should the 1st gen 1.06.bin firmware be used?

2. How does one perform EEPROM conversation?

3. There appears to be a newer 1.04 firmware (2nd gen?). Again, is it possible to return to 1129-29/CL0K after flashing with this?

4. If flashing to LB950SA is not possible, are there files available for B950SA? The ones posted by zmmr942 appears to be gone.

1. Yes

2. Yes, but that will not give you Lightscribe since iHBS112 drives don’t have the extra hardware required for it. The EEPROM will still need to be modded.

3, 4. Actually that would be a good way to easily crossflash your 1st generation drive to a Plextor without having to manually modify your EEPROM. Flash the drive with the PX-LB950SA 1.06 1st generation firmware first, using the unlocked flasher method, then use the Convert Drive function in the EEPROM Utility to fix the EEPROM (which will work because its a 1st generation firmware). After that you can flash the latest 1.04 second generation firmware for either the PX-LB950SA or PX-B950SA and you won’t have to do anything else with the EEPROM.

1. Yes. You can flash your original firmware back using the unlocked flasher and then load your original EEPROM backup and the crossflash back to the original state would be complete.

2. Here’s a copy of the latest PX-B950SA 1.04 (2nd generation) firmware: http://www60.zippyshare.com/v/32021795/file.html

[QUOTE=cvs;2702044]1. Yes

1. Yes, but that will not give you Lightscribe since iHBS112 drives don’t have the extra hardware required for it. The EEPROM will still need to be modded.

3, 4. Actually that would be a good way to easily crossflash your 1st generation drive to a Plextor without having to manually modify your EEPROM. Flash the drive with the PX-LB950SA 1.06 1st generation firmware first, using the unlocked flasher method, then use the Convert Drive function in the EEPROM Utility to fix the EEPROM (which will work because its a 1st generation firmware). After that you can flash the latest 1.04 second generation firmware for either the PX-LB950SA or PX-B950SA and you won’t have to do anything else with the EEPROM.

1. Yes. You can flash your original firmware back using the unlocked flasher and then load your original EEPROM backup and the crossflash back to the original state would be complete.

2. Here’s a copy of the latest PX-B950SA 1.04 (2nd generation) firmware: http://www60.zippyshare.com/v/32021795/file.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks for uploading the Plextor PL-B950SA firmware bin files.

1. For flashing to B950SA, can I use the 1.04 bin file directly since there is no 1.06?

2. Is there a reason why the 2nd Gen 1.04 firmware is not available on the Plextor website?

3. What would happen if the EEPROM conversion step is left out?

4. For flashing back to original state, is it sufficient to perform just the EEPROM conversion? Or is it necessary to reload the backup EEPROM?

5. I’ve uploaded both the EEPROM backup and CL0K.bin Flash Dump, and would appreciate if you could kindly take a look if they are in order.

For those who are interested, the date of manufacturing is May 2011.

[QUOTE=mariner8611;2702112]Thanks for uploading the Plextor PL-B950SA firmware bin files.

1. For flashing to B950SA, can I use the 1.04 bin file directly since there is no 1.06?

2. Is there a reason why the 2nd Gen 1.04 firmware is not available on the Plextor website?

3. What would happen if the EEPROM conversion step is left out?

4. For flashing back to original state, is it sufficient to perform just the EEPROM conversion? Or is it necessary to reload the backup EEPROM?

5. I’ve uploaded both the EEPROM backup and CL0K.bin Flash Dump, and would appreciate if you could kindly take a look if they are in order.

For those who are interested, the date of manufacturing is May 2011.

1. Yes, but because that is a 2nd generation firmware, the Convert Drive function of the EEPROM Utility will not work so the EEPROM will need to be modded manually. I suggest that you flash the PX-LB950SA 1.06 1st generation firmware first, fix the EEPROM using the EEPROM Utility’s Convert Drive function and then flash the PX-B950SA 1.04 firmware. If you use this indirect method, then you don’t need to do any manual EEPROM editing in order to convert your drive to a PX-B950SA.

2. Because they’re too lazy to upload it there? The 1.04 firmware for both Plextor models is available via LiteON’s Smartpack and also available via Plextools.

3. The drive’s LED will constantly blink and the drive will refuse to read/write any discs.

4. You will need to flash back the original CL0K firmware using the unlocked flasher method and also restore back the original EEPROM backup using the EEPROM Utility (or alternatively use the Convert Drive function again once you have flashed the 1st generation CL0K firmware).

5. Both dumps are OK.

[B]Note:[/B] Remember, once you flash the drive with a 2nd generation firmware, the Flash Utility will no longer work correctly, and the Convert Drive function of the EEPROM Utility will also no longer work (the rest of the EEPROM Utility functionality will not be affected though).

Thanks fro the reply, cvs.

[QUOTE=cvs;2702122]1. Yes, but because that is a 2nd generation firmware, the Convert Drive function of the EEPROM Utility will not work so the EEPROM will need to be modded manually. I suggest that you flash the PX-LB950SA 1.06 1st generation firmware first, fix the EEPROM using the EEPROM Utility’s Convert Drive function and then flash the PX-B950SA 1.04 firmware. If you use this indirect method, then you don’t need to do any manual EEPROM editing in order to convert your drive to a PX-B950SA.[/QUOTE]

1. Would that turn the drive into a PX-LB950SA with a B950SA firmware? Will there be any problem, say with future firmware updates from Plextor?

[QUOTE=cvs;2702122]
[B]Note:[/B] Remember, once you flash the drive with a 2nd generation firmware, the Flash Utility will no longer work correctly, and the Convert Drive function of the EEPROM Utility will also no longer work (the rest of the EEPROM Utility functionality will not be affected though).[/QUOTE]

1. In this exercise, the firmware flashing has all been done by using the unlocked [B]iHAS324-B-AL18.exe[/B] found below. Flash Utility is only used for firmware dumping. Is it required for anything else that I’ve neglected?

http://www.firmwarehq.com/download_1813-file_AL18.EXE.html

1. Can you also kindly help with a Sony BD-5300s of mine which does not work with ODC? I’ve uploaded the EEPROM backup and Flash Dump below and appreciate if you would take a look and suggest any remedy.

[QUOTE=mariner8611;2702314]Thanks fro the reply, cvs.

1. Would that turn the drive into a PX-LB950SA with a B950SA firmware? Will there be any problem, say with future firmware updates from Plextor?

2. In this exercise, the firmware flashing has all been done by using the unlocked [B]iHAS324-B-AL18.exe[/B] found below. Flash Utility is only used for firmware dumping. Is it required for anything else that I’ve neglected?

http://www.firmwarehq.com/download_1813-file_AL18.EXE.html

1. Can you also kindly help with a Sony BD-5300s of mine which does not work with ODC? I’ve uploaded the EEPROM backup and Flash Dump below and appreciate if you would take a look and suggest any remedy.

1. No. It will be a proper PX-B950SA. Both PX-LB950SA and PX-B950SA have the same EEPROM ID code, hence why you don’t need to modify the EEPROM when crossflashing from the PX-LB950SA to PX-B950SA. There won’t be any updating problem; the drive will be recognised by all tools, including Plextools, as a proper PX-B950SA and official flashers will work just fine.

2. No, that’s correct. You don’t really need the Flash Utility, other than as an easy way to dump first generation firmwares. The FU cannot correctly dump 2nd generation firmwares.

3. The BD-5300SA can be flashed straight away with an iHBS212 2nd generation firmware, without any EEPROM modding since both drives share the same EEPROM ID code. I have uploaded a copy of the iHBS212 HL05 firmware here: http://www65.zippyshare.com/v/21398661/file.html

The crossflash will not enable Lightscribe, as the BD-5300S doesn’t have the necessary hardware, but once crossflashed the drive would be able to scan discs using ODC (but you still have to use the speed setting trick since your BD-5300S is a 2nd generation drive). As your BD-5300S is originally a 2nd generation drive, it is not possible to flash it with any 1st generation firmware. Also, crossflashing it to any other model will require manual EEPROM modding.

[QUOTE=cvs;2702473]1. No. It will be a proper PX-B950SA. Both PX-LB950SA and PX-B950SA have the same EEPROM ID code, hence why you don’t need to modify the EEPROM when crossflashing from the PX-LB950SA to PX-B950SA. There won’t be any updating problem; the drive will be recognised by all tools, including Plextools, as a proper PX-B950SA and official flashers will work just fine.

1. No, that’s correct. You don’t really need the Flash Utility, other than as an easy way to dump first generation firmwares. The FU cannot correctly dump 2nd generation firmwares.

2. The BD-5300SA can be flashed straight away with an iHBS212 2nd generation firmware, without any EEPROM modding since both drives share the same EEPROM ID code. I have uploaded a copy of the iHBS212 HL05 firmware here: http://www65.zippyshare.com/v/21398661/file.html

The crossflash will not enable Lightscribe, as the BD-5300S doesn’t have the necessary hardware, but once crossflashed the drive would be able to scan discs using ODC (but you still have to use the speed setting trick since your BD-5300S is a 2nd generation drive). As your BD-5300S is originally a 2nd generation drive, it is not possible to flash it with any 1st generation firmware. Also, crossflashing it to any other model will require manual EEPROM modding.[/QUOTE]

Many thanks for sharing the HL05 firmware bin file.

1. After flashing the 112-29 to PX-B950SA/1.04, scanning speed in ODC is now limited to 2x, while PlexUtilities allows up to 8x. Is this a known issue?

2. As the Sony 5300s is a 2nd gen drive, I suppose the 2.03 flash dump is bad, and once cross flasheded it cannot be resotred to original condition? Also, instead of flashing with the 212 firmware, will it accept the 2nd gen 112 PL01 firmware?

[QUOTE=mariner8611;2702632]Many thanks for sharing the HL05 firmware bin file.

1. After flashing the 112-29 to PX-B950SA/1.04, scanning speed in ODC is now limited to 2x, while PlexUtilities allows up to 8x. Is this a known issue?

2. As the Sony 5300s is a 2nd gen drive, I suppose the 2.03 flash dump is bad, and once cross flasheded it cannot be resotred to original condition? Also, instead of flashing with the 212 firmware, will it accept the 2nd gen 112 PL01 firmware?

1. No, I haven’t heard of that issue until now. My iHBS212@PX-LB950SA 1.04 works just as it should. I have crossflashed an iHBS112 to the PX-B950SA in the past and had no problems with scanning either. I do all my BD-R scans at 6x, and I’ve been doing that for a long time now without any problems.

2. No, your BD-5300S 2.03 dump is perfectly fine. I compared it with a dump I’ve done myself and both match 100%. If you dumped it using the Flash Utility and got a valid dump as a result that would be very unusual indeed! :eek:
    Yes it will accept any 2nd generation firmware, including the iHBS112 PL0x ones, but for any other firmware than the iHBS212 the crossflash will require manual modding of the EEPROM .

[QUOTE=mariner8611;2702632]Many thanks for sharing the HL05 firmware bin file.

[/QUOTE]
    When you say that scanning is limited to 2x, do you mean that the effective speed is never above 2x, even if you select a higher speed in both speed selection boxes?