Lite-on IHAS424-08 - How can I burn DVD+R at 24X?

vbimport

Hello All,

So I purchased this DVD burner and installed it. It’s a SATA-type drive and I had no problems installing it. I burned a few DVD+R disks made by Taiyo Yuden (YUDEN000T03) and the best I can get is 20X. Nero’s highest option is at 20X. Is there a way I can burn at 24X? I read some reviews where it stated 24X is possible.

Thanks.

P.S. Can I buy 20X or 24X DVD+R media?

Use imgburn. http://www.imgburn.com

What will that do?

[QUOTE=stant_98;2483651]What will that do?[/QUOTE]

Imgburn is a software to burn cd,dvd,BD like Nero but freeware. Is compatible with any recorder. Supports the correct maximum burn speeds of your drive ( 24x ).

And no, there is no media designed for anything above 16x, or rated for above 16x, in the retail channel. All 24x burns will be overspeeding select 16x media, and it’s probably best to stick with what you have.

Best I get is avg. speed around 16x. There has to be a way to increase the speed with the 24X burner I have and the high quality DVD’s YUDEN000T03 that I am burning to.?

Your average speed of 16x is about all you will get. CAV writing starts at around 8x, and increases throughout the burn where it will only reach 24x at the very end of the burn.

If you are getting total disc write times of around 4 minutes, the 24x is working correctly.

Speaking of this drive, my iHAS424-08/A (it came running ZL1N, according to the Settings utility) does not want to change to RPC1 via the Settings utility. I get the “Sorry, region control for this drive could not be set to RPC-1.” message.

The only thing I really wanted to do was make it region free.

(WinXP 32bit here, about to drop it in a new Win7 64bit build.)

Any ideas? Thanks.

[QUOTE=stant_98;2483643]Hello All,

So I purchased this DVD burner and installed it. It’s a SATA-type drive and I had no problems installing it. I burned a few DVD+R disks made by Taiyo Yuden (YUDEN000T03) and the best I can get is 20X. Nero’s highest option is at 20X. Is there a way I can burn at 24X? I read some reviews where it stated 24X is possible.

Thanks.

P.S. Can I buy 20X or 24X DVD+R media?[/QUOTE]
try SmartBurn_Liteon - Google it - works for some “fast” drives

the sammy sh-s223f lets me burn this media at 22x using nero. with liteon the best i get is 20x. i guess it has something to do with writing strategies.

[QUOTE=GDRIVER;2578820]the sammy sh-s223f lets me burn this media at 22x using nero. with liteon the best i get is 20x. i guess it has something to do with writing strategies.[/QUOTE]

That’s strange because using the same YUDEN000T03, I always get the 22x & 024x options whether I’m burning with Nero 7, Nero 10, Imgburn or Nero CD-DVD Speet.

Regardless, I wouldnt’ worry about not having the top two speeds. For me, I found that the disc quality drops after 20x (from outstanding at 20x to very good at 24x). So, I burn everything at 20x.

Any time you burn a disc at 24x or way above its rated speed all your
doing is taking a chance on degrading the burn quality and the faster
you burn the more you stand a chance that burn quality is going to go
downhill.

The minute or two of burn time that it saves just isn’t worth the loss in
quality not to me it isn’t anyway and as the old saying goes speed kills. :eek:

I’d have to say maybe 1 speed step above say 12x for 8x media or 18x for
16x media is okay most of the time but 24x for 16x media is just asking for
trouble and or low quality burns.

i always burn at 16x . i read somewhere that even 8x or 12x write quality is worse than 16x. is it generally valid or the lower the better?

[QUOTE=GDRIVER;2579353]i read somewhere that even 8x or 12x write quality is worse than 16x. is it generally valid or the lower the better?[/QUOTE]

Lower is not necessarily always better either, especially on newer drives as the
write strategies are better suited for burning media at its rated speed most of
the time it also depends a lot on media brand.

If you buy a poor brand of media then it doesn’t really matter what speed it is
burned at it is going to be poor results. I have found when using Verbatim and
TY media a small increase of say 12x for 8x rated media and 18x for 16x rated
media causes me no problems.

I most of the time burn 16x rated media at 16x as I’m not in that big of a hurry
life is way to short to be in such a big hurry to do everything slow down and take
your time and enjoy life. :iagree:

thanks. so 16x is the suggested speed.

[QUOTE=GDRIVER;2579780]thanks. so 16x is the suggested speed.[/QUOTE]

You should probably do some test burns for yourself to see what speed produces the best burns with your unit and the discs that you use. With my IHAS524 and 16x Taiyo Yuden discs, I get better burns at 20x than I do at 16X.

i see that. the fact is i get 3 different types of scans which show three different qualities. don’t know which scanner to believe