Lite-On iHAS422 DVD Burner Review

I just posted the article Lite-On iHAS422 DVD Burner Review.

Another 22x DVD burner, the Lite-On iHAS422. How does it compare to the competition?
Read the review and find out.

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/review/15441-Lite-On-iHAS422-DVD-Burner-Review/](http://www.cdfreaks.com/review/15441-Lite-On-iHAS422-DVD-Burner-Review/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Thanks Dee

Thanks for the review Dee. Could this be a typo?

Summary:

The LightScribe feature of the Lite-On LH-20A1L worked perfectly with the exception of the iHAS422 model number, we assume a glitch in the SureThing labelling software, rather than a problem with the iHAS422.

It is indeed [B]KTL[/B] :o
Thanks for reporting it.

Thank you Dee.

[quote=KTL;2204059] Could this be a typo?[/quote] I think this is what I’d call a [I]copy-pasteo[/I]! :stuck_out_tongue:
I see (and make) them all the time myself.

Hopefully I’ll get to read the review today… :slight_smile:

… however, 22x burning speed is no more than a gimmick. The iHAS422 only burned one media at 22x and in my opinion, this is too fast for most 16x rated media. It would be more sensible to change to a fast P-CAV writing strategy, starting the burn at 8x and limit the burning speed to 16x. There would not be a drastic drop in writing performance using this writing strategy and burning quality would for sure be much better.
Couldn’t agree more.

Unfortunately, it’s all about the [I]perception[/I] of speed (i.e. the highest X-number) and not about [I]actual[/I] speed when drives are designed and marketed these days. And quality takes a backseat to the X-number. :frowning:

On our tested DVD+RW media, writing quality was excellent.
No kidding! :eek: And DVD-RW is excellent too! :clap:

About the Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD-R (TYG03) result…

The result is pretty good however, Jitter is high and once again we can see that burning 16x rated media at 22x is asking too much of the media.
With that jitter (18.6% maximum!), I’d personally call that a bad result. I would never accept such a result myself - the poor thing was butchered because of the high burning speed, and I suspect the disc would not be fully readable in a lot of older drives due to the very high jitter. The jitter goes berserk as soon as the burning speed climbs above 16x in that scan.

…maybe a partial SmartErase kicks in when burn speed exceeds 16x ? :bigsmile:

The screenshots show that there is a “TA Jitter” tab in DiscSpeed/CDSpeed, but can this drive actually perform TA Jitter scanning?

Thanks Dee, great review as usual. :clap:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2204367]
About the Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD-R (TYG03) result…
With that jitter (18.6% maximum!), I’d personally call that a bad result. I would never accept such a result myself - the poor thing was butchered because of the high burning speed, and I suspect the disc would not be fully readable in a lot of older drives due to the very high jitter. The jitter goes berserk as soon as the burning speed climbs above 16x in that scan.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately it seems to be a problem of that HT version at high speed. Often we have had better results with HT and OHT off.

Thanks for the review, Dee. :flower:

Good to see the jitter so low on most of your burns. Hopefully, one day, OHT will burn discs even better than this but currently it appears to make things worse. :frowning:

Thank you doing a review on the iHAP422. I have been looking for a review of this drive for some time…you may have done the first. Thanks!

I have a question about the jitter HT/OHT relationship. I am very much and amature, so, for give me for not completely understanding what I am looking at in the scans. The answer I seek is probably there, I just don’t see it when I look at the scans. Anyways, I’m reading that the jitter becomes a problem when burning speeds exceed 16x. It has been stated above that the problem appears to be a result of having the HT/OHT feature active while burning above 16x. So, I have few questions.

Does HT/OHT being active(“on”) cause problems at slower burning speeds, say 4x or 8x(4x is where I normally burn a dvd)?

Is the HT/OHT problem a result of the firmware, hardware, or both?

If it is a firmware problem, do you think it will be addressed with future firmware updates or patches?

Thanks for the clearing this up for me!

[QUOTE=Hercules1;2205808] Anyways, I’m reading that the jitter becomes a problem when burning speeds exceed 16x. It has been stated above that the problem appears to be a result of having the HT/OHT feature active while burning above 16x. [/QUOTE]

The media ist rated for 16x and everything above is always no guarantee no matter of with or without OHT. And it really don’t interest me, all above 16x is only marketing to sell new drives, some burners do it better (LG, NEC) than others but it should never be expected you can burn 20x, 22x without risk. On the other way 4x isn’t always the best idea either, manufactorers don’t expect often people burning 16x media so slow, and neglected to implement good proven low speed burnstrategies for 16x media. And without that slower can be worsen quality. You should go dependend on media quality f0r 8x-16x with modern media and actual burners.

[QUOTE=Hercules1;2205808]Does HT/OHT being active(“on”) cause problems at slower burning speeds, say 4x or 8x(4x is where I normally burn a dvd)? [/QUOTE]

In my opinion no, I always use OHT with my new iHas322 no problems at all so far, dont’t use HT either you have big problems with your media, this overrides firmware strategie an creates his own, what is most times not better. And the “problem” is not new with iHas, for example with my LH20A1H and codekings eOHT Firmware I my drive is not able to burn faster than 16x, with standard firmware (and standard OHT) it is.

[QUOTE=Hercules1;2205808]
Is the HT/OHT problem a result of the firmware, hardware, or both?

[/QUOTE]

It’s still the first firmware so you should give LiteOn a chance to develop the drive, for the first release it works already good.

[quote=DrageMester;2204370]The screenshots show that there is a “TA Jitter” tab in DiscSpeed/CDSpeed, but can this drive actually perform TA Jitter scanning?[/quote] bump

Can this drive perform TA Jitter scanning?

With CD-DVD speed no, not yet I think Erik Deppe will implement support for that. That the drive is able to do it shows the Plextor version of IHas322 with Plex Utilities. You will only see the TA jitter TAB when you have a A* series also in your system. :slight_smile:

[quote=BurningFish;2206068]With CD-DVD speed no, not yet I think Erik Deppe will implement support for that. That the drive is able to do it shows the Plextor version of IHas322 with Plex Utilities. You will only see the TA jitter TAB when you have a A* series also in your system. :)[/quote] That’s what I thought but thanks for confirming it. :flower:

I just purchased two of these, and they are going back. I spend an hour on the phone with Lite-on today, and they did not seem to think my drives were defective. The drives will not burn my current blank Verbatim DVD+R MCC 004 discs. They will not even read them, if I burn them my Pioneer DVR-108. If I insert a blank Verbatim, it takes almost 60 seconds to determine what it is . It gets the media code correct, but it thinks it’s a DVD+RW, when it’s really a DVD+R. If I insert a Verbatim disc that was already burned, it doesn’t even think there is a disc in the drive. Every other drive in my house can read these discs. The Lite-on can read some older MCC 004 discs.
I tried a Maxell disc, and it couldn’t read it. Lite-on support was not surprised by that. They said the drive may have some issues with Maxell media. They were surprised by the results with the Verbatim discs, but didn’t really have any answers. I could understand poor burn results with specific types of media, but I’m really suprised that it cannot read a disc that was just burned in another drive.

[QUOTE=radiohead8989;2206390]I just purchased two of these, and they are going back. I spend an hour on the phone with Lite-on today, and they did not seem to think my drives were defective. The drives will not burn my current blank Verbatim DVD+R MCC 004 discs. They will not even read them, if I burn them my Pioneer DVR-108. If I insert a blank Verbatim, it takes almost 60 seconds to determine what it is . It gets the media code correct, but it thinks it’s a DVD+RW, when it’s really a DVD+R. If I insert a Verbatim disc that was already burned, it doesn’t even think there is a disc in the drive. Every other drive in my house can read these discs. The Lite-on can read some older MCC 004 discs.
I tried a Maxell disc, and it couldn’t read it. Lite-on support was not surprised by that. They said the drive may have some issues with Maxell media. They were surprised by the results with the Verbatim discs, but didn’t really have any answers. I could understand poor burn results with specific types of media, but I’m really suprised that it cannot read a disc that was just burned in another drive.[/QUOTE]

No surprise, LiteOn customer service is :Z. No problems with Maxell discs. :disagree:
Two defective drives (with the same problem) is pretty strange. Have you bought the PATA or SATA version? Which is your hardware configuration and have you installed a virtual drive software?

Hi,

The main media i currently use for burning dvd’s is rated 8x (YUDEN000T02). Do you think burning at this speed with this burner will cause issues? i.e. poor burn quality?

Cheers

[QUOTE=pez2;2210503]Hi,

The main media i currently use for burning dvd’s is rated 8x (YUDEN000T02). Do you think burning at this speed with this burner will cause issues? i.e. poor burn quality?

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Hi pez2, no problems at that speed and especially with that media (MID). :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow 22x eh. They should ban these companies and their rubbish claims of speed. It’s like saying, oh my car can do 5 second 0-100kmph and then say (but only on very steep downhill roads…)

It’s a technicality and almost on the borderline of complete bullshit.

They should just design a dual laser drive that uses two lasers at the same time burning @ 6x. You’d get an average speed of 12x, which is probably faster than these 22x drives.

Oh well, nice review anyways. Agree with Drage on the jitter result. 18% is absurdly high. A high speed scan on that would show massive PIE and PIF increases.