Lite-On iHAS324 A: Drive is "sort of" recognized. Can't find drivers. Can't update with tools

vbimport

Greetings!

I have read the FAQ sections in regards to similar issues with the Lite-On iHAS324 A optical drives. I have seen no specific fixes. I am assuming that someone else has had this problem recently, and I am hoping that someone can reply with an answer specific to this model.

If you are a moderator, please do read this post before you delete it as redundant. It has very specific issues that I am not seeing on other posts.

I am running Windows 7, and I have two of the iHAS324 A optical SATA drives.

Yesterday, for no apparent reason, they both stopped working.

The drives are not appearing under “my computer”.

When I go into “manage”, and “device manager”, the drives are present, but show with the yellow exclamation points of death. I tried to use “update driver software”, but the answer was, “windows has determined that the best driver software for your device is already installed”.

I then went into “disk management”, and neither of the optical drives is visible… which is strange, given that they are seen under “device manager”.

I then found and downloaded the firmware updater programs that I could find through these forums. I ran them, and they do not see either of the optical drives, even though they are seen under “device manager”.

As far as what SATA ports the drives are plugged into, this should not matter, as the drives have been working for months, and suddenly stopped working for no apparent reason just yesterday.

Also, under “device manager”, there has magically appeared a third optical device with the yellow exclamation point next to it. This device is labeled as “TMR VGPEJWTI SCSI CdRom Device”. It says that the software for it is also corrupt. I don’t know where this device is even coming from, in that it doesn’t exist, to my knowledge. And I built the computer.

I have checked on the Lite-On site, and there is no driver support for these optical drives. None at all.

There is also no firmware update supplied by Lite-On.

As I stated earlier, I did find and download firmware and driver updaters, but as they don’t recognize the drives’ existence (even though they are seen in “device manager”, the updaters won’t work.

So, are there any suggestions? This appears to be a common problem, but I haven’t been able to find any solution to this specific issue anywhere at all.

I hope that my very specific post and the details that I have provided will help with skipping a lot of the redundant questions that people have had to ask in many of these posts.

Thanks!

Delete both the drives in the device manager and reboot.

I have found the solution to the problem.

I had noted in my post that I had uninstalled repeatedly, to no avail. This was extremely frustrating, and Lite-On’s support is nonexistent for this product.

The problem was not with the hardware, but with the system registry.

Here is the solution for CD/DVD drives not showing up properly in Windows 7.

http://windows7news.com/2009/01/15/windows-7-not-recognizing-dvd-drive/

I will be making another post with this information and cutting/pasting the solution for all to use.

Thanks.

Did you ever find an answer to your issue? I am having the same problem with the same Liteon drive. Did you get the driver? I am also using Windows 7 and the current driver (cdrom.sys) is listed as the driver but something is apparently corrupt. I tried loading it again but it didn’t fix my issue.

[QUOTE=MightyUnicorn;2488624]Greetings!

I have read the FAQ sections in regards to similar issues with the Lite-On iHAS324 A optical drives. I have seen no specific fixes. I am assuming that someone else has had this problem recently, and I am hoping that someone can reply with an answer specific to this model.

If you are a moderator, please do read this post before you delete it as redundant. It has very specific issues that I am not seeing on other posts.

I am running Windows 7, and I have two of the iHAS324 A optical SATA drives.

Yesterday, for no apparent reason, they both stopped working.

The drives are not appearing under “my computer”.

When I go into “manage”, and “device manager”, the drives are present, but show with the yellow exclamation points of death. I tried to use “update driver software”, but the answer was, “windows has determined that the best driver software for your device is already installed”.

I then went into “disk management”, and neither of the optical drives is visible… which is strange, given that they are seen under “device manager”.

I then found and downloaded the firmware updater programs that I could find through these forums. I ran them, and they do not see either of the optical drives, even though they are seen under “device manager”.

As far as what SATA ports the drives are plugged into, this should not matter, as the drives have been working for months, and suddenly stopped working for no apparent reason just yesterday.

Also, under “device manager”, there has magically appeared a third optical device with the yellow exclamation point next to it. This device is labeled as “TMR VGPEJWTI SCSI CdRom Device”. It says that the software for it is also corrupt. I don’t know where this device is even coming from, in that it doesn’t exist, to my knowledge. And I built the computer.

I have checked on the Lite-On site, and there is no driver support for these optical drives. None at all.

There is also no firmware update supplied by Lite-On.

As I stated earlier, I did find and download firmware and driver updaters, but as they don’t recognize the drives’ existence (even though they are seen in “device manager”, the updaters won’t work.

So, are there any suggestions? This appears to be a common problem, but I haven’t been able to find any solution to this specific issue anywhere at all.

I hope that my very specific post and the details that I have provided will help with skipping a lot of the redundant questions that people have had to ask in many of these posts.

Thanks![/QUOTE]