Lite-On iHAS324-98 (Retail) or Optiarc AD-7240S (OEM) - $29.99 - Free Shipping - NewEgg

vbimport

As of this moment, both are $29.99 and shipping is free:

Lite-On iHAS324-98 (Retail; Rebadged Optiarc AD-7240S)

Optiarc AD-7240S (OEM)

Ok I was wondering something if the Lite-On is a rebadged AD-7240S does it
have the NEC chipset or the MediaTek chipset? :confused:

[QUOTE=getit29;2456194]…if the Lite-On is a rebadged AD-7240S does it have the NEC chipset or the MediaTek chipset? :confused:[/QUOTE]

iHAS324-08 = Mediatek

iHAS324-98 = NEC

Yo-

Is the Lite-On iHAS324-98 a reliable Disc Quality Test drive-eh??

[QUOTE=negritude;2456263]iHAS324-08 = Mediatek

iHAS324-98 = NEC[/QUOTE]

Thanks negritude for the info on the chipset I was kind of hoping against hope that the Liteon might
just be lucky enough to have the NEC chipset also. :iagree:

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2456520]Yo-

Is the Lite-On iHAS324-98 a reliable Disc Quality Test drive-eh??[/QUOTE]

It’s like any other NEC chipset drive, it works great for testing CD-Rs, but you can’t do all the same kinds of tests with it as you can a MediaTek drive.

[QUOTE=negritude;2456527]It’s like any other NEC chipset drive, it works great for testing CD-Rs, but you can’t do all the same kinds of tests with it as you can a MediaTek drive.[/QUOTE]

Yo-

Grazie!! -eh

are these essentially the same drive, or is one better than the other?
I’m wondering if i would be better off tracking down an iHAS324-08 and getting the AD7240s. i’m mainly in the market for a good reader/ripper, and i’ve read good things about the iHAS324-08. anyway, any ideas or suggestions?

chris

[QUOTE=thecamyth;2456948]are these essentially the same drive, or is one better than the other?
I’m wondering if i would be better off tracking down an iHAS324-08 and getting the AD7240s. i’m mainly in the market for a good reader/ripper, and i’ve read good things about the iHAS324-08. anyway, any ideas or suggestions?[/QUOTE]

The iHAS324-98 is the exact same drive as the AD-7240S, except it has customized firmware.

If you’re mainly looking for a reader/ripper, then yes, the iHAS324-08 would be the better choice. Optiarc drives are known for their great burning abilities, but Lite-Ons are better reader/rippers.

awesome. thanks for the response. i already have an ad-7200a, so i’ll be tracking down a iHAS324-08.

chris

ok, a couple of follow up questions. recently, i have been contemplating purchasing an ad-7240s, but would i be better off purchasing the iHAS324-98? Any reason to go retail over oem or vice versa? i’m feeling the itch to purchase one of the two in addition to the iHAS324-08, but i’m still new to this hobby, and i don’t have much confidence in my own discernment. any further ideas or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

chris

[QUOTE=thecamyth;2457040]ok, a couple of follow up questions. recently, i have been contemplating purchasing an ad-7240s, but would i be better off purchasing the iHAS324-98? Any reason to go retail over oem or vice versa? i’m feeling the itch to purchase one of the two in addition to the iHAS324-08, but i’m still new to this hobby, and i don’t have much confidence in my own discernment. any further ideas or suggestions is greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

It’s all about personal aesthetic choices in going for retail vs. OEM. Some people prefer getting a drive in a retail box, others could care less. I sometimes prefer retail boxes because I don’t always trust the way OEM drives are packed and shipped, and the retail box is inherently designed by the manufacturer to protect the drive from human handling.

In regards to the AD-7240S vs the iHAP324-98, I would probably just go for the AD-7240S in your case, because at this point, the 7240 has more up to date firmware and the 324-98 can’t yet be cross-flashed easily. Eventually it won’t matter, but for newer users who aren’t just buying drives to collect and play with, I would stick with the 7240.

I went ahead and picked up one of the iHAS324-98 models from NewEgg while it was on sale, but really wish that LiteOn would reveal more info about all the different versions of the iHAS models on their website because it can get a little confusing at times.

Okay…I may be an idiot sometimes…but I cannot find a retail box version of the AD-7240S on the newegg site. Am I missing something or is it called something else in the retail box?

I’m just trying to do a friend a favor and find out what the best drive is out there “right now” because his BenQ DW1620 finally died.

Thanks,
Chad

[QUOTE=SirZoltan;2457477]Okay…I may be an idiot sometimes…but I cannot find a retail box version of the AD-7240S on the newegg site. Am I missing something or is it called something else in the retail box?

I’m just trying to do a friend a favor and find out what the best drive is out there “right now” because his BenQ DW1620 finally died.

Thanks,
Chad[/QUOTE]
I think it’s just the OEM version that’s on sale for that model.

[QUOTE=SirZoltan;2457477]Okay…I may be an idiot sometimes…but I cannot find a retail box version of the AD-7240S on the newegg site. Am I missing something or is it called something else in the retail box?[/QUOTE]

There is no retail version of the actual AD-7240S. That’s OEM only. There is a retail version of the iHAS324-98, which is a rebadged AD-7240S. Understand?

Both of the drives listed in this thread are SATA. The BenQ DW1620 is PATA. Before you go doing your friend any favors, make sure that they have a free SATA port in their computer for an optical drive.

[I]Hey, negritude…[/I] all that info that you’ve provided about these drives has been really helpful.

Do you by chance know if LiteOn is going to stop using Mediatek chipsets altogether, or is this new series of their drives that are rebadged Optiarcs just a temporary thing, or are they going to have different drives, each containing different chipsets so that the end user has a choice of chipset? I’m new to the inner components of CD/DVD drives so still a bit confused about it all.

I’ve also recently begun to see the LiteOn iHAS324-[B]09[/B] drive advertised in a few places, so I’m guessing that one contains the Mediatek chipset like the -08 model, but this one is just a 2009 version?

I’ve looked on the LiteOn website, but haven’t been able to find the answers there, so thanks for any other info that you might be able to pass this way.

[QUOTE=ozar;2458624]Do you by chance know if LiteOn is going to stop using Mediatek chipsets altogether, or is this new series of their drives that are rebadged Optiarcs just a temporary thing, or are they going to have different drives, each containing different chipsets so that the end user has a choice of chipset?

I’ve also recently begun to see the LiteOn iHAS324-[B]09[/B] drive advertised in a few places, so I’m guessing that one contains the Mediatek chipset like the -08 model, but this one is just a 2009 version?[/QUOTE]

1. No one knows. Watch the Lite-On forum for further developments.

2. Yes, the -09 drives should be MediaTek. Only the -98 is NEC. Note that this only applies to the SATA drives. I have no idea what the -08, -09, and -98 mean for the PATA (IDE) drives.

Thanks for all the great info Negritude.

So, if you were burning irreplaceable photos to a DVD - which drive would you choose?

Thanks,
Chad

[QUOTE=negritude;2458646]Yes, the -09 drives should be MediaTek.[/QUOTE]
Thank again for the additional info. I ordered one of the iHAS324-08 models, but the drive that they sent was the -09 version, so I guess that’s pretty much the equivalent of the -08, and I won’t complain to the seller about it. :cool: