Lite-On iHAS324-32 Y Questions

First off, Hello everyone. It has been a long, long time since I have posted on here, but I regularly browse.

Anyway, I recently started having burning troubles, after a long spell without problems. To cut a long story short, I seemed to have some compatability issues by having an LG GSA55 and an Asus DVD-Rom on the single IDE channel on my Asus P5Ke/WiFi AP mobo. The LG would burn, but then give read errors when using the disc. Disconnect the Asus, and the problems went away. After much cable swapping etc. I decided to bite the bullet and purchase some new Sata drives, and get rid of IDE for good, Have you seen where the IDE port is on that mobo :eek:

After using LG burners for what seems like forever, I fancied a change. After much browsing on here, I decided that the LiteOn iHAS324 should serve me well, and an Asus DVD-Rom. It seemed to be between the Optiarc and the Liteon on the burning front as both seem popular at the moment. I don`t burn huge quantities, and usually use Verb or TY media. The deciding factor was the LiteOn was available locally so I could get one on my way home. On line shopping is great, but sometimes not quick enough for me :smiley:

Now, it would appear that what I have actually bought is a LiteOn iHAS324-32 Y. I have a few questions:

1. Am I right in thinking this is actually a rebadged Optiarc/NEC ?
    2, Have I bought a dog, or is this drive OK
  2. I seem unable to change booktype on my +R media. Am i missing something?
  3. What firmware upgrades would you reccomend if any? (BL1W atm)

Any other help or info would be appreciated. I notice it has not got smarterase either. Dont think I will miss that. The sound of shredded DVD`s is much more satisfying. :iagree:

Thanks

Now, it would appear that what I have actually bought is a LiteOn iHAS324-32 Y. I have a few questions:

1. Am I right in thinking this is actually a rebadged Optiarc/NEC ?
    Yes.

2, Have I bought a dog, or is this drive OK
It’s fine, it’s a rebadged Optiarc 7240S, which you can check yourself out in its forum.

1. I seem unable to change booktype on my +R media. Am i missing something?
  2. What firmware upgrades would you reccomend if any? (BL1W atm)
    You can find Liggy’s patched firmwares here. Use the bitsetting ones to booktype +R. Be sure to choose the correct one for your drive since the respective downloaded files are named the same.

Can’t help with most of the questions, but to answer your first question, yes. You are right that it is a re-badged Optiarc drive.

Re: SmartErase - only the Lite-On MTK chipset-based drives have it.

Thank you.

Nice to know I have not bought a dud. Seems little to choose between the 2 drives after reading the Optiarc review.

:slight_smile: