Lite-On iHAS 124-04 OEM $25.99 Free Shipping @ Newegg

vbimport

I haven’t seen many great deals on drives lately at Newegg (at best around $29 shipped), but you can get the iHAS124-04 SATA 24x burner for $25.99 right now:

you may also want to check out this one:
SAMSUNG SH-S223C Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner
on sale @ NewEgg $25.99 w/free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151192&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL102709&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL102709--CDDVDBurners--L0F-_-27151192
nice price but I would still buy the Sony/Optiarc AD-7240S :cool:

[QUOTE=dave.evill;2458160]you may also want to check out this one:
SAMSUNG SH-S223C Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner
on sale @ NewEgg $25.99 w/free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151192&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL102709&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL102709--CDDVDBurners--L0F-_-27151192
nice price but I would still buy the Sony/Optiarc AD-7240S :cool:[/QUOTE]

Yo Dave.evil-

I concur 100%-eh!! :iagree: :iagree: :clap: :clap:

I was quite tempted to go for the Samsung but picked up one of the Optiarcs, instead. I already have one of the LiteOn 124-04 models.

NEW DEAL $21.99 with NewEgg member code:EMCMLNX53 (limit 5) free shipping
good till the pacific witching hour on all hallows eve - 11:59 10/31/09 (P.S.T.)
and accoring to new member OZAR “Opened up mine and it has the Chinese made NEC MC-10045 chipset in it, which appears to be the same chipset that the Sony Optiarc AD7240S uses, manufactured in China in Sept '09, and the firmware is BL0W”
:cop:*this drive may not be ready for crossflashing,yet!*according to Lite-On forum

[QUOTE=dave.evill;2459037]NEW DEAL $21.99 with NewEgg member code:EMCMLNX53 (limit 5) free shipping
good till the pacific witching hour on all hallows eve - 11:59 10/31/09 (P.S.T.)
and accoring to new member OZAR “Opened up mine and it has the Chinese made NEC MC-10045 chipset in it, which appears to be the same chipset that the Sony Optiarc AD7240S uses, manufactured in China in Sept '09, and the firmware is BL0W”
:cop:*this drive may not be ready for crossflashing,yet!*according to Lite-On forum[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info!

That’s quite a deal and I doubt that they’ll get any cheaper than that. So far as I can tell, the iHAS124-04 is the same as the drive as the Sony Optiarc AD-7240S, except for the product label, firmware, and front bezel. Maybe someone can correct if that’s wrong.

[B]
Edit: [/B] I just took a look and the product is [B]sold out[/B], already! :frowning:

[QUOTE=ozar;2459072]Thanks for the info!

That’s quite a deal and I doubt that they’ll get any cheaper than that. So far as I can tell, the iHAS124-04 is the same as the drive as the Sony Optiarc AD-7240S, except for the product label, firmware, and front bezel. Maybe someone can correct if that’s wrong.

[B]
Edit: [/B] I just took a look and the product is [B]sold out[/B], already! :([/QUOTE]

The Liteon is slower on -R

[U][B]AD-7240S[/B] WRITE Speed [/U]
DVD+R 24X
DVD+RW 8X
[U][B]DVD-R 24X [/B][/U]
DVD-RW 6X
CD-R 48X
CD-RW 32X
DVD+R DL 12X
DVD-R DL 12X
DVD-RAM 12X

[U][B]iHAS124-04[/B] WRITE Speed [/U]
DVD+R 24X
DVD+RW 8X
[U][B]DVD-R 22X [/B][/U]
DVD-RW 6X
DVD+R DL 8X

[QUOTE=getit29;2459091]The Liteon is slower on -R[/QUOTE]
Yes, I noticed that. Would the speed difference in that one category be due to the different firmware used, or because of a hardware component that is different between the two drives?

And I can see NO deals on newegg.ca. :a

[QUOTE=ozar;2459072]That’s quite a deal and I doubt that they’ll get any cheaper than that. So far as I can tell, the iHAS124-04 is the same as the drive as the Sony Optiarc AD-7240S, except for the product label, firmware, and front bezel. Maybe someone can correct if that’s wrong.[/QUOTE]

:disagree:

There are two versions of the iHAS124-04, an “A” model and a “Y” model. The A model is MediaTek, the Y model is NEC.

More importantly, the only directly equivalent AD-7240S drive is the iHAS324-98. The iHAS124-04 could be something else entirely. The 7240 drives are 24x for both -R and +R, so the 124-04 is either crippled, or has different hardware and is therefore NOT the same as the 7240S.

I suggest you buy the drive (if it comes back in stock) because it’s a good deal, but don’t expect to get an AD-7240S rebadge. No one has even remotely confirmed that is what it is or even could be.

[QUOTE=negritude;2459128]I suggest you buy the drive (if it comes back in stock) because it’s a good deal, but don’t expect to get an AD-7240S rebadge. No one has even remotely confirmed that is what it is or even could be.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I got one of the LiteOn iHAS124-04 models a few days ago before they went on sale at Newegg, and opened it up to take a look at the internals. It was as follows:

Model: iHAS124-04 Y
Chipset: NEC China MC-10045
Firmware: BL0W
Manufactured: Sept '09 (in China)

I think that’s the same chipset as the AD-7240S, but I don’t know enough about the Optiarc to make any further comparisons.

Yeah, I already know about your report. There’s more to a drive than the chipset. Pioneer drives used to use the same chipsets as the Optiarcs, but you couldn’t crossflash a Pioneer into an Optiarc. Once again, you shouldn’t make any assumptions until more evidence is provided, and the tools are available to crossflash (and someone steps forward to risk bricking their drive with an attempt).

[QUOTE=negritude;2459154]Once again, you shouldn’t make any assumptions until more evidence is provided, and the tools are available to crossflash (and someone steps forward to risk bricking their drive with an attempt).[/QUOTE]
I agree, and haven’t even received my Optiarc unit yet, so can only go by the photos that I’ve seen of the internals, as far as any comparisons go. I don’t have all the software tools to do the testing that I’ve read about, and seeing as I’m not an expert with any model of drive, I’m unable to make any comparisons other than visual. I’m not into cross-flashing, and probably won’t be getting into that.

All this rebadging, cloning, and mixing of the internals by the different manufacturers is really confusing to the newcomer like me. :confused:

[QUOTE=ozar;2459320]All this rebadging, cloning, and mixing of the internals by the different manufacturers is really confusing to the newcomer like me. :confused:[/QUOTE]

It’s not supposed to be confusing, because you’re not supposed to know anything about any of this. You’re just supposed to buy a drive and use it, and as long as you don’t get a bunch of coasters, be happy. You’re only confused because you’re trying to learn about things it wasn’t intended for you to know. :wink:

All this rebadging, cloning, and mixing of the internals by the different manufacturers is really confusing to the newcomer like me. :confused:[/QUOTE
"If you only new the power of the Force" -Darth Vader
It’s all about making technology work for you,and not being stuck with an inferior drive;for lack of technical support from the"brand" that sold it to you
start with the Lite-On utilities,then M.C.S.E. & then you’ll be ready for a region free crossflash with custom firmware while you “do-si-do” your partner:bigsmile:

Out Of Stock! Was 21.99 with coupon code!
Bummer!
budzos

Now $23.99 w/free shipping.

$34.99-$15 rebate=$19.99 @ZipZoomFly till3/20/10 LINK