Lite-On HDD/DVD Recorder HD-A740GX

I wonder if someone could help me with my recorder? Please take pity on a pathetic technophobe!
When trying to record onto disk, the recorder keeps telling me either I don’t have a disc in the drive or I haven’t placed the right disc in the drive. I have tried DVD+R, DVD-R and DVD RW, nothing seems to work. This is a relatively new thing as I have recorded onto disc on this machine in the past.

Is the machine faulty?
Am I doing something wrong?

What’s the best thing to do?

Best wishes,
Thanks in advance.

First thing to try a cleaning the lens.

The Player recognises and plays pre-recorded DVD’s no problem, but fails to recognise blank, rewritable DVD’s therefore does not allow me to record.

B

Does it play discs it recorded in the past?
Have you tried different brands of blank discs?

i too have a lite-on a740gx that will not burn a dvd of any kind i upgraded firmware cleaned still nothing it just went out of warranty
tech said send it in and for 100 bucks they will check it out
it has never worked the player works and the hard drive but no burn dvds

[QUOTE=automan9;1965461]i too have a lite-on a740gx that will not burn a dvd of any kind i upgraded firmware cleaned still nothing it just went out of warranty
tech said send it in and for 100 bucks they will check it out
it has never worked the player works and the hard drive but no burn dvds[/QUOTE]

Same problem here:sad:

i have searched and found out that it is probably a drive firmware that did it , anyway in my case , some have recovered flashing with older firmware , question is how to find the right one, any help heres my serial
0150-4140-0028-BC70 (1U35-010F)
any help appreciated
services.techniques.jcv@gmail.com
if i find solution i will post it here
Thanks

Just got an email from liteon tech support stating that ounce the unit is flashed with there latest file it can not revert to older version ! i sent them back an email and it wasn’t a nice one ! Still searching for file and will post update

Sounds like the drive is failing and needs replaced. Their are guides online on how to do this.

[QUOTE=Quakester2000;1986445]Sounds like the drive is failing and needs replaced. Their are guides online on how to do this.[/QUOTE]

i did not find the guide on how to replace it nor with which model ? Can you point me in right direction
Thanks

[B]I had the exact same problem with my HD-A760GX. Several months ago I found (from another forum somewhere) that this is VERY common with these 2 models and I could not find a replacement DVD writer. I took the cover off and found that the entire system is not that complicated. It had the main DVR circuit board(s), a standard IDE hard drive and an almost standard LiteOn 5.25 inch DVD writer. I found that hooking up a WalMart Liteon DVD writer in place of the existing one worked great. If you have videos that you need to get off the internal hard drive you could try hooking up another internal DVD writer to it. I modified the case so a normal 5.25 inch DVD writer would slide in but it was not a super simple operation. I had to leave the flip down door off and it looks a little odd but it works for me.
When I tore into the old drive I found it MUCH more dusty than any I have ever seen and suspect it may be from a design problem but it could also be my lack of housekeeping.

[/B]

[QUOTE=broachoski;1992276][B]I had the exact same problem with my HD-A760GX. Several months ago I found (from another forum somewhere) that this is VERY common with these 2 models and I could not find a replacement DVD writer. I took the cover off and found that the entire system is not that complicated. It had the main DVR circuit board(s), a standard IDE hard drive and an almost standard LiteOn 5.25 inch DVD writer. I found that hooking up a WalMart Liteon DVD writer in place of the existing one worked great. If you have videos that you need to get off the internal hard drive you could try hooking up another internal DVD writer to it. I modified the case so a normal 5.25 inch DVD writer would slide in but it was not a super simple operation. I had to leave the flip down door off and it looks a little odd but it works for me.
When I tore into the old drive I found it MUCH more dusty than any I have ever seen and suspect it may be from a design problem but it could also be my lack of housekeeping.

[/B][/QUOTE]
Any way of knowing which drive and firmware worked with your conversion ? belive it or not mine did not even burn a dozen dvd’s but had the unit for 8 months
Thanks

I used a BUSLink dvr812d for a short while. I think it come out of an old pc I had here.
I replaced it with a LiteOn LH-20A1H186C and it works great also. I bought that model because I thought the LightScribe feature would work but it didn’t like the LightScribe DVD’s that I had here.
My original only burned about 20 before it bit the dust.
The jumper will need to be set as MASTER.
Hope it works out for you.

[QUOTE=broachoski;1993761]I used a BUSLink dvr812d for a short while. I think it come out of an old pc I had here.
I replaced it with a LiteOn LH-20A1H186C and it works great also. I bought that model because I thought the LightScribe feature would work but it didn’t like the LightScribe DVD’s that I had here.
My original only burned about 20 before it bit the dust.
The jumper will need to be set as MASTER.
Hope it works out for you.[/QUOTE]

Thank You
I shall try to get the drive over the weekend and let you know how it goes
Thanks again

:(Hello m8s, S:(ame problem here, the recorder will not recognise x16 discs but will record on the old x4 discs…tried downloading the iso firmware file but it wont even recognise that…by the way how do I clean the lens perhaps thats my problem?? the machine used to record x16 discs but now keeps telling me to change the disc…very annoying…regards Tototoffa:sad:

I too have a potential problem with my burner.
I’ve had the top off and connected a spare for the computer (toshiba sd-r5112-neb).
I noticed that the burner in the HD-A740GX doesnt have a jumper fitted? I tried the toshiba burner and removed the jumper so it was set up as the original burner, the machine didnt go beyond the HELLO message.
Should I try again but fit the jumper to master?
cheers,
Simon

I changed internally the drives in my 740 with a Liteon 1635 (older model with fast Forward) and a Liteon 20h4p in my 760 (no fast-forward on DVDrs and commercial DVDs, works fine with DVDrws). I had to dismantle the front display and trim the metal back plate of the front display to allow PC drives to fit.

Your Toshiba burner might not be compatible in the 740. When setting a new burner in a Liteon-based HDD recorder, the jumper needs to be set on Master. When the recorder goes into the “Hello” mode and doesn’t come out of it, it’s because it’s not recognizing either the drive or hardrive, that happens when no jumper is set or on slave, a bad cable, bad connection or incompatible and/or dead drives. In your case, I would first set the jumper on Master on the Toshiba and try to boot up again.

If that doesn’t work, I would suggest that you look at the sticky threads on this forum about replacement drives in the 5005, you find one of those drives and will work as described on that thread in the 740/760. One tip on one of the more recent Sony drive 190. I personally tried the Sony 190 which works fine in other older Liteon recorders but not the 740/760. I’ve tried Liteon 1693, 160, 165, 20A1P, 20h4p, Sony 120, they’re all compatible with the older ones with FF and the newer ones no FF.

When I dismantled my front displays, I took the opportunity to take the small ON/OFF, EJECT board off and pry the blue/red LED light off the board and reinstall (2 minutes when everything is dismantled) now I don’t have “laser pointers” in my living room anymore !!!

Good luck, let us know about your progress.

Thanks,
I’ll try again with the jumper set.
For my button I just stuck frosted parcel tape over the led, it dims it quite a bit.
Simon

has anyone had some recordings on the hard drive disappear.but not all.im complete novice with all things that use electric.thanks

Hi lindabuk, I suspect that you have more than 60 recordings on the HDD, I say that because when you’re looking at the content screen, you’ll notice at the bottom a line with consecutive numbers, they run “1,2,3,4…” right up to 10, these are pages with 6 recordings per page. If you have more than 60 recordings the pages will run something like “1,3,5 …”. To access pages directly, move your cursor down and highlite the desired page and press enter.

If the pages run “1,3,5 …”, and you want to see the content of page 2, move you cursor down to the bottom to the very last line where you’ll see double arrows on each end, highlite the forward set of arrows and press enter and this will allow you to view the content of each individual page.