Lite-On has become PARTIAL :-(

Just bought a Lite-On 48x24x48x yesterday.

Inserted my usual Princo 2x-48x certified media & voila, the SmartBurn limit is 48x.

Then, I inserted the same media in my earlier 48x12x48x & the Smartburn limit is 40x.

Well both my lite-ons have the latest firmware.

Here is the info from SmartBurn.

1. Lite-On 48x24x48x (48246s) - SS0B

This Disc is designed for CD-RW/COMBO Drive Only.
Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Phthalocyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 27s 28f
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = Princo
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 48X

1. Lite-On 48x12x48x (48125s) - 1S05

This Disc is designed for CD-RW/COMBO Drive Only.
Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Phthalocyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 27s 28f
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = Princo
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 40X

Lite-On has been releasing many firmwares for its 6 series burners & nothing for the 5 series burning.

I think they have stopped supporting earlier burners.
:a :a :a

Well, I’m sure that they are focusing on the newer drives before they will go back to the older ones.

Heh,I know the feeling. Had an Asus P2B-F motherboard a couple of years ago, never had more that 2 BIOS updates in all the time I had the board (2 years)!
Lite-On isn’t alone!

Yeah, they must be focusing on newer burners.

But, I feel they shouldn’t neglect the earlier ones.

Why do people buy Lite-Ons.

1. Price
  2. Burning Quality
  3. Support for large no. media (with frequent firmware upgrades).

@Bhairav

Asus has released 3 BIOS updates for my ASUS CUSL2-C. My current BIOS is 1006. The latest is 1009.

Asus, MSI & Lite-On are only the few companies i know who release firmware upgrades as promised. Don’t know about Gigabyte.

But, Lite-On is letting us down. Thats for sure.:a

did you use the exact same disc in both drives?
or did you use 2 from the same batch?

Originally posted by darshanjog
Asus has released 3 BIOS updates for my ASUS CUSL2-C. My current BIOS is 1006. The latest is 1009.

Hahaha including both beta and release BIOSes, my Asus P4S8X is up to about 12! Unfortunately they all suck…there has only been one “final” BIOS released after board launch, which dramatically lowered RAM speed for the sake of stability. :frowning:

About media compatibility, I don’t think it is such a big deal. Compared to many other manufacturers, Lite-On releases firmware updates very frequently. I didn’t buy my Lite-Ons specifically for media compatibility, as you seem to have done with point #3. I wasn’t aware that was a main selling point for Lite-Ons. if I’m unsure of the media quality I usually set the speed manually anyway. Besides, at 40x it should still be a perfect burn, so Smartburn did do it’s job relatively well…you can’t expect it to know all types of media.

Soyo has put out 7 BIOS updates for my board.

Originally posted by damiandimitri
did you use the exact same disc in both drives?
or did you use 2 from the same batch?

Yes, I have used the same disk.

Originally posted by BadReligionPR
[B]

Hahaha including both beta and release BIOSes, my Asus P4S8X is up to about 12! Unfortunately they all suck…there has only been one “final” BIOS released after board launch, which dramatically lowered RAM speed for the sake of stability. :frowning:

About media compatibility, I don’t think it is such a big deal. Compared to many other manufacturers, Lite-On releases firmware updates very frequently. I didn’t buy my Lite-Ons specifically for media compatibility, as you seem to have done with point #3. I wasn’t aware that was a main selling point for Lite-Ons. if I’m unsure of the media quality I usually set the speed manually anyway. Besides, at 40x it should still be a perfect burn, so Smartburn did do it’s job relatively well…you can’t expect it to know all types of media. [/B]

Ok, 40x or 48x doesn’t make a huge difference. But, I think it doesn’t cost anything to Lite-On to just release another firmware for their earlier drives.

One point is surely correct. Lite-On is the only manufacturer who releases frequent firmware updates. :wink: Thats why i said that they are letting us down.

If it was some other manufacturer, i wouldn’t have said this at all.

Originally posted by Spazmogen
Soyo has put out 7 BIOS updates for my board.

Sorry I also counted the Beta bios updates also.:eek:

I haven’t updated mine. Kept the same as i am satisfied.

I liked the your logo @ CDRLabs.com. Nice babe. Also the message on the T-Shirt/Top.
:wink: :bigsmile: :stuck_out_tongue:

So, only i am thinking that Lite-On has become partial or is there anybody else??? :confused:

Yup. Heck, they even released new firmware for the 32123S recently, so if there is something to improve they’ll do it. Of course bias lies on the newer drives, but old drives gets updates too. And compared to any other company, LiteOn releases alot of firmware upgrades. :slight_smile:

And compared to any other company, LiteOn releases alot of firmware upgrades

This is 100% true. :wink:

Originally posted by darshanjog
Don’t know about Gigabyte
They do. Gigabyte has realized 5 Bios updates for my GA-7VAXP in the last 4 months.

Latest realize: F11 (Jan. 15, 2003)

:cool:

@Anoro: Ditto
5 updates for my GA-7VAX, latest ver F10 released Jan15 :slight_smile: