Lite-On firmware upgrade OK for Pacific Digital?

vbimport

Hi.

I’ve just bought a Pacific Digital drive that is a rebadged Lite-On 851S.

Can anyone tell me whether I can just upgrade the firmware using a downloaded file from Lite-On’s site? I’ve heard that rebadged drives don’t always like the OEM’s f/w updates.

Thanks for any help!

Dave

Use the LiteOn firmware, you’ll be fine. I have PD NEC 2500 here and it took the Hacked 106 just fine, it even has the NEC sticker on it and ID’s as a 2500 in the bios.
I believe they even give different firmwares and things on their site depending on your serial as they know they rebox many diferent drives.

If it’s recognized as a LDW-851S, then you can use firmware from liteonit.com

If it has an OEM firmware version which doesn’t match the GS0* naming scheme, then you will need to patch the updater with FlashFix or else it will refuse to flash.

Thanks for your help, guys–I appreciate it!

dhc:

So the firmware is the same? The only variable is whether the flash utility will refuse to flash the drive or not (in which case I use FlashFix, like you said)?

I guess that makes sense, as the hardware is the hardware…

Has anyone gotten a PD LiteOn that didn’t follow the naming conv.?

Thanks again!

d

The one they showed me said LiteOn 851 on the sticker so that usually means it is a real one, no renaming. MyNEC was the same. If it takes the firmwae without saying no drive found or other similar error you should be OK. Otherwise use flash fix.