Lite-On External DVD-RW not found

I am using a Lite-on DVDRW SOHW-16935, it is a standad IDE dvd burner, which I have connected to a IDE->USB2 adapter (i do this so I can use the burner on my laptop). In Nero windows, I use this configuration all the time to burn DVDs with excellent results, however, NeroLINUX does not even detect that the burner exists. K3B detects the burner and it works fairly well, but I miss nero when I am in linux. I am using the demo version of NeroLINUX, if that makes any difference, but I don’t know why it would. Any help would be greatly appreaciated, as I have alot of Nero DVD images that no other software (that i have found yet) will burn.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

What happens is that Nero Linux which has been opened by say UserA does not have read/write priorities on the burner.
This means that you don’t have access to the burner. You will notice that if you run nerolinux as a root user, you will see the DVD burner listed.

What should you do in this case? My workaround will solve this issue:

Step1:
Know your dvd burner’s drive name. It should be something like sg0 or cdrom or sr0. To be sure, type:
su
mount
In the list, search your dvdrom (put a cd before and let your linux automount it so that the drive name appears in the list)

Step2:
Get the path. It will be something like /dev/sg0 or /dev/cdrom etc…

Step3:
Set the required permissions on the drive.
chmod 777 /dev/sg0

Step4:
Happy burning!

Hope that helps!

Shailen Sobhee
Mauritius

I bet that ‘modprobe sg’ as root will fix it :slight_smile:

Try to check with the new 3.5.0.1. Normally this should fix the problem.