Lite On DX 20A 4PU

vbimport

Hi, my BenQ 162I after many years of great projects has retired itself, though my tech at work is doing me a favor and ordered a part for it from Asia, it has been 8 weeks and no sign of it, however I am patient as that drive indeed does a great job. ( I hope to eventually have it back working but at this point do not know.)

In the meantime I have found a Lite On DX 20A 4 PU that has had very little use, ( I knew the owner).
All he had was the burner and connections w/o the cd and I did not myself install the BenQ and so I am hoping for a little help here.
Does this burner need drivers installed? firmware? and how do I go about setting it up for DVD-ROM default for burning dvds?
I have not connected it to my laptop yet as I feel I need to understand the process involved in getting it to operate at its optimum.
Also wondering how this burner compares to my BenQ 162I in terms of quality of the drive and quality of the end product produced. And not sure if it does d/l’s?

There is no one in this part of Canada that I could find that sold the full sized burners. I have an Asus that I use with my Asus netbook but knew it would not satisfy my requirements and so I decided to gamble on the Lite On since I know the owner and I have a week to try it out before I need to pay for it.

I genuinely would appreciate comments from experienced members as I am not knowlegeable about this type of hardware nor how to achieve the setup and settings that I want. (BTW xpsp3) and how old would drive be?
Thank you for your time and interest.
Regards, Crey

The DX-20A4PU was just an external version of the internal DH-20A4P, which is about 4-5 years old. Since it’s just USB, you don’t need any drivers to use with WXP SP3, just plug it in, power on, and start burning.

Check here for the specification for the 20A4P and you’ll see that it will burn DL discs. It’s a very capable drive, burns just as well as the 162I (DW1620).

You can use the Settings Utility to set the booktype.

Hi there, thx for the reply!! This is a great New Years Present indeed!! I will reread your post indepth as I do want to set the Book Type to ROM Default and this indeed appears to say that I can.
I would imagine that when I convert to Windows 7 that this unit will not function? Am I correct saying that?
I am not into blu-ray…being a “boomer”…I still have records and cassettes and a great audio system that plays them superbly!
I really don’t change media until I am forced to especially if I like the quality of what I already have.
But I am wondering if this unit is plug n play whether or not it might “fingers crossed” operate with the W7 OS???

Again many thank yous for your reply and wishes of all the best for 2013 and may peace spread world wide.

Cudos!!!

The unit should function just fine in Win7. As with XP, this is a USB device, and needs no special drivers.

I also find the drive to be a good burner. And with any external burner, it is normally wise to use a conservative burn speed like 8x. Generally 4x w/ DLs.

Happy New Year :slight_smile:

Hi there, I indeed have great respect for the members and moderators of this Forum.
I have posted in others, and believed that there would not be help for an old “boomer” user of dvd media like myself as there were few informative replies that were set out in a manner for a non techie end user like myself.
It is indeed a boost in spirit to realize that there are still people out there who have an “interest” and share their knowledge.

This type of sharing is what makes our world a better place.

CUDO’s “Club Myce”

Peace and Harmony in 2013 for all !!!

[QUOTE=crey;2670963]
It is indeed a boost in spirit to realize that there are still people out there who have an “interest” and share their knowledge.

This type of sharing is what makes our world a better place.

CUDO’s “Club Myce”

Peace and Harmony in 2013 for all !!![/QUOTE]
Thank you for your kind words :flower:

I couldn’t agree with you more. I feel honored and proud to be a part of this community.

Cudos to all my friends here who haven’t forgotten what it is like to be eager to learn and take the time and energy to share what they have learned with others :clap:.

Please let us know how the drive works out for you?