Lite-on dvdrw sohw 1653s (csot) and Sky dvd+r problems

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On SOHW-1653S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi all.
This is doing my head in now!!

I’ve got some sky dvd+r discs for burning in my lite-on dvdrw sohw 1653s csot. As I understand it this burner is capable of burning + or - dvd media.

However for some time now I have found I am completely unable to burn with dvd+r discs. In fact my drive appears as dvd-rw drive(E:) but when I insert +R dvd media it changes to being cd-r drive (E:).

As I recall when I first got the pc I never had the problem but over time the drive has only been able to burn -R dvd media and cd-r.

The current dvd+R’s i’m using are made by Sky media manufacturing. I dont know if these are any good though. As for dvd-R’s I can literally use any brand even the cheap and nasty bulk packs which cost next to nothing, without hardly any errors or disc rejection.

I wonder if its a brand thing or simply the burner is a dog!!

Any help would reaaly be appreciated.

thanks in advance!

if they worked before … could be burner possibly going bad.

although i never heard of Sky and from the sound of it… you usually burn on low quality discs.

i would recommend buying some good discs (i.e. Verbatim either -R or +R… +R recommended) and try again :slight_smile:

also on a side note… try burning your dvd’s with ImgBurn (www.imgburn.com) and see if that works… also good idea to burn at no more than 8x with that drive… 8x in general is a safe bet on 8x or higher certified media with that drive if it’s anything like mine is :wink:

p.s. i have a Lite-On 1673S myself.

Yep, use a dedicated burning application like ImgBurn [as suggested above]. Windows XP [which is the typical OS to exhibit the behavior you describe] doesn’t truly support burning DVDs on its own, only CDs.

And I’d second the suggestion to use Verbatim, if possible, when you’re doing mission-critical backups in the future. The Sky media should be OK for day-to-day use, though. :slight_smile: