Lite-On DVDRW SOHW 1633S BS01 Can\'t read DVDs!

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On SOHW-1633S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Alright, My mother lent me her DVDRW drive to play a couple of dvds on my computer (Store bought - more specifically the 3 Pirates of the Carribean movies) All I wanna do is play those Dvds, but when I go to ‘My Computer’ the Dvd drive is: DVD-RW Drive (E:). Sounded good to me. So I insert the Dvd, and what you know? It doesn’t read. I put in another couple of Dvds, all store bought, not burnt, all different movies, and same results. Next I attempt to see if it will read a regular CD, So i Put in a store bought disc (Spefically if it helps; The Temple of Elemental Evil Install Disc (disc 1)) and it loads and all normally.

So… Anything I can do to just watch those darn DVDs? Sure I can watch em on my tv, but I wanna watch and do other stuff on my comp, so play it on my comp…

Some other specs if needed:

AMD Sempron Processor 3000+
1.84GHz (Not exactly sure what that goes with, but that’s what it says)
512 MB of RAM
Ask for anything else

The DVDRW Drive name: Lite-On DVDRW SOHW 1633S BS01

So, think you can help? :confused:

I’m considering a possible lack of codecs, so i googled a bit and simply cannot find anything. Even on the Emachines site under the drivers for the original machine… If you know where i could locate appropiate drivers and/or codecs. I’d appreciate it.

Which DVD player software did you use ? If you have non, get VLC, which is free.

[QUOTE=ala42;2097443]Which DVD player software did you use ? If you have non, get VLC, which is free.[/QUOTE]

I just downloaded VLC, and when trying to open a DVD from the E: Drive (My DVDRW Drive) It simply tells me that It cannot open it.

I tried using one known as AVS DVD Player, and that more or less is the same.

Even when there is a DVD in there, When in ‘My Computer’ the E drive is simply listed as: DVD-RW Drive (E:). So, while the dvd is in, the drive thinks the dvd isn’t in.

Any further ideas?

Although it’s rare, I have experienced a DVD-RW drive that simply no longer can read or no longer can write.

So in “My Computer” while a disc is inserted, is total size not listed? Also I assume you cannot right-click explore the drive? How about data and/or audio CD’s…can they be accessed?

No total Size… Lists as: Used Space: 0bytes Free Space: 0bytes

Capacity: 0bytes

As for the explore, I can right click explore, and it simply directs me to the address:

E:\

Nothing more. The filescreen has no files.

If a game disc counts, then yes. but i’ll try a couple of cd’s, one merely audio, one merely data and let you know.

yep, all cd’s are readable… except DVDs :frowning:

Sparhawk3,

Maybe someone else has other suggestions, but strange as it sounds, I personally have had a drive fail (and it wasn’t that old) that could still write DVD’s, still read CD’s, but not read DVD’s. I believe that it was an NEC or possibly my old Plextor. I had been using it heavily copying old scratched DVD’s which I believe caused mine to fail.

Luckily drives are really cheap to replace. I just bought this Liteon for $20.99 shipped.

But like I said, wait to see if anyone else has any other suggestions before you give up on yours.

FriendOf

Post a screenshot of nero cdspeed’s Disc Info tab.

[QUOTE=ala42;2097841]Post a screenshot of nero cdspeed’s Disc Info tab.[/QUOTE]

Sure if you can tell me what nero cdspeed’s disc info is lol:iagree:

The 1633s is an old drive. Better off investing in a newer drive.

is that all i can do?

Have you checked the DVDRW drive’s “DVD REGION”?

In “My Computer”, right click on the DVD drive and select properties.
Choose the correct drive (LITE ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S) and then choose “properties” (or just double click the drive name).
Then choose “DVD Region” in the selection bar at the top.
Hopefully you can still change the region as you can only change it 5 times.
I’ll bet your stuck on region 1 or something and can’t change to a better one.
I have the exact same problem with the exact same dvdrw drive and i only just finally realized what the problem is. ITS THE BLOODY NON CHANGEABLE REGION, REGION 1, which can’t read SH!T.
So I’m now on a mission to see if there is some crack to change the drives DVD region. Im pretty sure thats whats wrong with my lite on drive anyway.

[QUOTE=flockman;2530288]Have you checked the DVDRW drive’s “DVD REGION”?

In “My Computer”, right click on the DVD drive and select properties.
Choose the correct drive (LITE ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S) and then choose “properties” (or just double click the drive name).
Then choose “DVD Region” in the selection bar at the top.
Hopefully you can still change the region as you can only change it 5 times.
I’ll bet your stuck on region 1 or something and can’t change to a better one.
I have the exact same problem with the exact same dvdrw drive and i only just finally realized what the problem is. ITS THE BLOODY NON CHANGEABLE REGION, REGION 1, which can’t read SH!T.
So I’m now on a mission to see if there is some crack to change the drives DVD region. Im pretty sure thats whats wrong with my lite on drive anyway.[/QUOTE]

These post are over 2 years old that you are trying to respond to.