LITE ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S - help needed!

I have two problems with my LITE ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S drive. It came bundled with my Compaq PC, so I didn’t have a choice in the drive that came with it. First problem is I have a random problem with CD-RW’s. I have successfully burned photos to a CD-RW, but now for some stupid reason the drive won’t recognise there’s a disk in the drive!! I have various other CD-RW’s - no good. I then tried another CD-RW and the drive is reading it as a CD-R, meaning I cannot erase the contents of the disk. It’s infuriating!!

Second problem is the drive is random on DVD’s as well, sometimes it will play a DVD, then next time it won’t. I understand this is a firmware problem and have downloaded the latest firmware driver only to be given the message I don’t have a LITE ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S but a LITE ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S PP80!! Meaning the new driver does not work!

Can anyone help?

your drive is oem, meaning you’ll void warranty when flashing with a stock liteon firmware.
but if you want to update, get this firmware: http://zwind.myweb.hinet.net/firmware/PV96WIN.EXE

ugh i havingprobs with this drive too my comp says drivers are corrupted

hi, i flashed my firmware with this link on my SHW-160P6S and now i cant flash back to my old firmware (PSOA) . error comes up and says wrong drive

Get a tool named “flashfix” and treat your original firmware flasher according to the instructions that are given on the flashfix website. Then flash with the previously patched firmware.

Michael