Lite-on Dvdrw SHM-165H6S not burning DVDs

I went to the homepage of LITE-ON and downloaded the SHM-165H6S firmware update and it flash my drive to a “DVD-RAM Drive” now I’m having problems burning dvds i’ll put a blank dvd in and the riter don’t recognize the dvd how ever if i put a dvd in that has data on it does recognize the dvd. Can someone please help me. thanks

I did a firmware update to HSOE and I’m have no problems.

When you put a blank DVD in, can you burn that disk in Nero?

Yo-

What was the original model number of the drive you tried to do the firmware flash to make it “DVD-RAM Drive” -eh?

When I put a blank in my drive, in the My Computer area, it may even say CD Drive. The key is, when I open a burning application and initiate a burn to that disk, it recognizes it as blank media and can burn it without problem.

So, I guess my question is, when you say it doesn’t recognize it, in what context? Are you looking from within Nero Burning-ROM or some other burning application? Or just the My Computer folder?

No need to panic yet… :slight_smile:

When i put a blank DVD i get this error when i click on the icon in explorer to open it. i can’t burn DVDs with any burning program Nero, copytodvd or WinXP thingy

I went here
http://us.liteonit.com/us/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=75
and looked for SHM-165H6S then downloaded this one i circled in the pic

In Nero when i try to burn a DVD it tells me to put a DVD in the drive when i already have a blank DVD in there just in case you ask yes i choose the option to burn a DVD this happens every blank DVD i try to burn. When i try to burn with copytodvd it starts to somewhat burn then a error voice says “dam there is a problem” or something like that this is with any blank DVD i try.
but if i put a already burned DVD or a game i can view it’s data just fine. please help me :frowning: i don’t know what to do

Do you have anything loaded in the background? Like Alcohol or AnyDVD?

What happens when you insert a CD blank into that drive?

Does it happen with DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RAM? Any or all of those?

I don’t have any cd blanks i only have dvd blanks. sorry i don’t understand what you mean by “Does it happen with DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RAM? Any or all of those?”

if i just put a blank DVD in the drive and try to open it in explorer i get this error message.

but if i put in a game or already burned dvd it loads fine.

and here is a pic showing me right clicking on it to view it’s properties and it’s saying 0 byte used and 0 bytes free and i have a blank 4gig DVD in there.

What type of DVD blank are you putting in there? Is it a DVD+R? Or a DVD-R? That kind of thing.

Is it only a single brand of DVD media? Have you tried any other brand?

Also - DO You have anything loaded like Alcohol or AnyDVD? If so, I would try unloading them.

oh ok sorry this is the only kind i have it’s DVD-R their cheap ones but they where working fine before i started messing with updating the firmware. I don’t have Alcohol or AnyDVD installed i don’t have any burning software right now installed i uninstalled them to see if they where giving me problems but i’m still getting those errors. http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817131593

here is a pic of what i have installed just in case you thing maybe some software could be giving me problems

It is possible you did not obtain the right firmware, or that you did not get a good firmware flash. I would recommend trying this - go to this page on the LITE-ON site:

http://us.liteonit.com/us/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=153

Select Optical on the first field and for the second field, make sure you choose the SHM-165H6S model. You sould be able to download the HS0E firmware.

If that does not work, there is a copy of that HS0E exe file in this ZIP archive that you can download. Once the file is downloaded, you should unzip the file and have an HS0E.EXE file. Execute that file to update the firmware.

http://www.pdscomputing.com/files/hs0e.zip

BTW, you are using Windows XP 32 bit version, right? Not 64 bit?

Also, some folks have trouble with the NVIDIA IDE Drivers. You may want to go back to using the standard MICROSOFT IDE drivers instead, just to test.

yeah I’m absolutely sure i picked the right firmware drivers i d/l the one you posted many times and installed them i also formatted the computer 2 nights ago just to make sure it wasn’t some other program conflicting with the DVD drive. I’ll try using the MICROSOFT IDE drivers instead and yes i’m using the Windows XP 32 version. thanks for all the help your giving me i think i’m going to have to go out any buy another dvd writer. :frowning:

The drive was working prior to the firmware update, right?

When you use Nero InfoTool, what firmware shows up in the FIRMWARE VERSION field on the DRIVE tab?

You could go into Device Manager and delete all IDE devices listed there, and then delete the IDE Controllers listed there as well, and reboot. This should force the system to re-recognize all of the IDE stuff.

Then you may want to try re-installing your motherboard chipset drivers over top of what is there and see if that helps.

Other thoughts - make sure the drives are properly configured in MASTER and SLAVE mode (not Cable Select), are using a 40 pin 80 conductor IDE cable (ATA/66 cable) and if you have Nvidia IDE drivers loaded, replace those with the standard Microsoft IDE drivers.

Good luck.

It says HSOE
i’ll go try the other things you said

how would i go about doing these things. thanks

Other thoughts - make sure the drives are properly configured in MASTER and SLAVE mode (not Cable Select), are using a 40 pin 80 conductor IDE cable (ATA/66 cable) and if you have Nvidia IDE drivers loaded, replace those with the standard Microsoft IDE drivers.

The drive worked fine prior to the firmware update, right?

Under the CONFIGURATION tab in Nero Info Tool, does it show DMA ON for every drive listed?

yeah

here is a pic