Lite-on DVDRW record problem

I have a Lite-on DVDRW SOHW 1633S BPSA in a Compaq Presrio SR1365CL that has stopped recognizing blank DVDs. It has no problem with CDs, and will play both CDs, and DVDs that already have something on them. When I place a blank DVD in the tray it will show that there is a DVD in the drive, but shows 0 bytes freespace, and 0 bytes total size. I am using Memorex DVD+RW discs. Any help with this problem would be appreciated.

I suggest a few things get rid of those blank dvd’s.

Go here http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php there is a firmware upgrade use the download search feature and put in : Lite-on DVDRW SOHW 1633S there is a firmware update. Also welcome to the forum, I would read the blank media section on what’s best at DVD’s I for one use verbatim.

I have the Lite-On SHW 1635S but in my case it reads DVDs but ignores CDs. I have updated the firmware for it but that didn’t make a difference.

The CDs I use work when I use them on a different drive but the Lite-On fails to identify any type of CD media ( blank/audio/proprietary/CD-R/CD-RW)

Strangely enough, it has no problems with DVD media and I don’t understand why this happens when I use CDs.

I have checked the connections and reconnected the IDE ribbon cable and even replaced it with a new one but that didn’t resolve the problem either.

Any ideas or is it a case of sending it back for a new one as it’s still under warranty ?

Thanks

I.G.

I have also LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW 1633S BPSA purchased in UK and It ignores CDs. I’ve upgrated firmware for it but it made no diference at all. Is the CD part of the drive dead? Is there any chance to recover it at all? Thanks!