LITE-ON DVD+RW SOHW-802S only "burning" at 2.4x

vbimport

Hello,

I own the above burner and I seem to have a problem with it. It used to be able to burn at 8x but now it only burns at 2.4x (using 1x-16x media). I used the Nero Info Tool and it said both my System and Nero ASPI is properly installed.

This is the weird thing:
When I use 1x-8x media, the drive burns at 8x.
When I use 1x-16x media, the drive only “burns” at 2.4x and doesn’t even write anything to the cd. I don’t understand this since I’ve used the exact same 1x-16x media before and burned successfully at 8x. I’m using the same exact media write now and it’s maximum “burning” speed is 2.4x. I haven’t made any changes to any of my hardware. Is there any firmware upgrade for my drive? I’ve checked and can’t seem to find any. Does anyone have any ideas to fix this problem? How can I burn at 8x using 1x-16x media like I’ve done before?

P.S.
I don’t know if this has anything to do with the situation, but a weird thing I’ve noticed happening for 2 weeks now is that as soon as the DVD burner’s drive tray opens fully, it immediately closes again. Anyone have a similar situation and have any ideas to amend the problem?