Lite-On DVD-ROM Speed Issue

For months, I have experienced flawless performance from my Lite-On DVD-ROM. However, 3 weeks ago I began seeing significantly increased ripping times for DVD archiving. I also have a Lite-On LDW-451s which is able to perform ripping in about half the time. I have a 120GB HD with 2 partitions dedicated soley for storing images. Both partitions were clean when the slowdown occurred.

A few days ago, I noticed something interesting. Windows Device Manager has my DVD-ROM listed as a “JLMSXJ-HD166S.” Is this a valid Lite-On drive?? Both Lite-On websites (liteon.com and liteonit.com) were useless, offering no information on their DVD-ROM products. I figure that something is amiss because I have an older machine with the same model Lite-On DVD-ROM installed and the Device Manager on that machine lists it as a “Lite-On” drive.

Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Originally posted by kwebster
[B]For months, I have experienced flawless performance from my Lite-On DVD-ROM. However, 3 weeks ago I began seeing significantly increased ripping times for DVD archiving. I also have a Lite-On LDW-451s which is able to perform ripping in about half the time. I have a 120GB HD with 2 partitions dedicated soley for storing images. Both partitions were clean when the slowdown occurred.

A few days ago, I noticed something interesting. Windows Device Manager has my DVD-ROM listed as a “JLMSXJ-HD166S.” Is this a valid Lite-On drive?? Both Lite-On websites (liteon.com and liteonit.com) were useless, offering no information on their DVD-ROM products. I figure that something is amiss because I have an older machine with the same model Lite-On DVD-ROM installed and the Device Manager on that machine lists it as a “Lite-On” drive.

Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. [/B]

JLMS == a LiteOn/JVC joint venture… yes, they are LiteOn drives… try www.jlms.com.tw

[B]For months, I have experienced flawless performance from my Lite-On DVD-ROM. However, 3 weeks ago I began seeing significantly increased ripping times for DVD archiving. I also have a Lite-On LDW-451s which is able to perform ripping in about half the time. I have a 120GB HD with 2 partitions dedicated soley for storing images. Both partitions were clean when the slowdown occurred.

Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. [/B]

check dma

as far as the listing in devmgr if you had the same firmware on both you would have the same listing in dev mgr in both. the listing comes from the firmware.

the more recent the firmware the more likely it will have the jlms firmware rather than the old liteon firmware.

code65536:

Thanks for the link!

cnlson:

DMA is enabled as it’s been since turn-up date. The weird thing about this issue is that nothing – especially with regards to hardware – has changed since turn-up. The drive just started to perform slower. It doesn’t seem like it’s a HD or memory issue because the burner uses the same resources and performs optimally. As a comparison, I ripped a movie using my burner again and it finished in about 36 mintues – as compared to 1h 10m with the reader. This is driving me nucking futs.

I suppose I could do a firmware upgrade, but that’s a band-aid solution in my opinion – and potentially risky. I’d like to know why the reader slowed down in the first place, because it could surely happen again after a firmware upgrade. The forum on the JLMS website is very basic and discussions are few.

I’m thinking about removing the reader from Windows and re-installing it. Perhaps that will help it “snap back” to fighting form. If that doesn’t work, I’ll try the firmware upgrade next. If that doesn’t work, I’ll swap the Lite-On reader (w/ Lite-On firmware) from my old machine.

If that doesn’t work, I’ll swap the Lite-On reader (w/ Lite-On firmware) from my old machine.

i would try this first.

Well I discovered something yesterday. I looked closer into the DMA issue and, as you said, the transfer mode for my DVD reader (the JLMS-XJHD1566S) is set for PIO Mode – despite the fact that the “DMA if available” option is selected AND the drive is set for UDMA2 in the BIOS. What’s more, I cannot get Windows to change it to DMA mode. The question is WHY??? It’s certainly possible that I was mistaken that the drive was operating in DMA mode when I built it. So the question becomes why can’t this drive operate under DMA Mode?

Does anyone out there have any experience upgrading the firmware on the JLMS-XJHD166S?

[B]Well I discovered something yesterday. I looked closer into the DMA issue and, as you said, the transfer mode for my DVD reader (the JLMS-XJHD1566S) is set for PIO Mode – despite the fact that the “DMA if available” option is selected AND the drive is set for UDMA2 in the BIOS. What’s more, I cannot get Windows to change it to DMA mode. The question is WHY??? It’s certainly possible that I was mistaken that the drive was operating in DMA mode when I built it. So the question becomes why can’t this drive operate under DMA Mode?

Does anyone out there have any experience upgrading the firmware on the JLMS-XJHD166S? [/B]

Delete the device in the manager and then reboot letting Windows re-detect it. That should restore DMA mode.

Gof:

Tried that last night. No dice. I’ll try the “toggle trick” as suggested on the Microsoft website. If this doesn’t work, I’m going to swap in my old Lite-On DVD ROM with Lite-On proprietary firmware.